NER Petrol Electric railcar

I bought severalof the books of drawings from the NER society stand at York, mainy for the Tynemouth electrics, but a friend mentioned the pioneering petrol electric railcar being restoredat the Embsay Railway, so I checked and I had the drawings.

A design for a  3D printed version was started, not without a couple of software problemsIwindows 10 related I think!!!) , but got there in the end

This is the modified body style from 1908, but I may also do the original, as it is only(???) a few changes to doors and windows.

ner-railcar1.jpg

• Like 8

sorry, not open source, I prefer models printed to order. When Bachmann and Hornby start giving away their products I might consider it. I enjoy doing the designs, but I am also trying to build a business.

This is initially in HO scale(I model that), but if test print looks OK, I will resize to both 4mm/ft and 3mm/ft , as well as N scale.

• Like 1

sorry, not open source, I prefer models printed to order. When Bachmann and Hornby start giving away their products I might consider it. I enjoy doing the designs, but I am also trying to build a business.

This is initially in HO scale(I model that), but if test print looks OK, I will resize to both 4mm/ft and 3mm/ft , as well as N scale.

Great job.  I think they run an O Gauge version on Marske.

I would be interested in a 4mm scale version.

post-25673-0-86263000-1496223032_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I think I have seen that at exhibitions. Pity an O gauge version would be too expensive, but my interest is smaller scales anyway. Just waiting for test sample in HO, hopefully won't be long now. I will then have to make an effort to see the real one at Embsay, as it is not far away.

• Like 2

Just had a look at the Worsley site. Looks like their kit is just for the body, and therefore is not complete. Might be wrong. My 3D printed model won't be that cheap, but then you are getting a fully assembled body. Luckily it is fairly short, so probably about same price as LNWR steam railmotor.

If all goes to plan, I will also do the original version, with smaller guards/luggage area(single doors). looking at photos there were a fair number of mods done over the years, mainly exhausts etc, but that is up to the modeller.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

first test sample arrived today. amazed everything still in place. was concerned the vents might be a weak point. will take some photos when I have given it a quick paint job.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

photos of railcar body, with a quick coat of paint. You can just make out the planked sides.

ner-railcar1-sm.jpg

ner-railcar2-sm.jpg

This is the HO version, I am in the process of resizing to both 4mm/ft and 3mm/ft. It should also be possible to do it ij N scale(1/148), but that takes a bit more work to check minimum thicknesss.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 7

photos of railcar body, with a quick coat of paint. You can just make out the planked sides.

ner-railcar1-sm.jpg

ner-railcar2-sm.jpg

This is the HO version, I am in the process of resizing to both 4mm/ft and 3mm/ft. It should also be possible to do it ij N scale(1/148), but that takes a bit more work to check minimum thicknesss.

Great job.

BTW, I looked on Shapeways to see if the LNWR railmotor was available in 4mm.  It did not seem to be, is that correct?

Not a desperate hurry if not, as I would need to work out how to motorise and then save up first, but I remain seriously interested in both this and the NER railcar.

• Like 2

I thought I had put the LNWR railmotor up, but will check.

Checked and it is there https://www.shapeways.com/product/QWD2J6AGK/o-76-lnwr-steam-railmotor-1

I have moved some items around on my website, but it is still the easiest way to find items.

Motorizing for OO is pretty easy, as most basic Hornby 0-4-0 loco chassis should do.  The old Nellie chassis was commonly used for motorizing steam railmotor models.

Planning to put the NER railcar on ASAP.

now there, just need to update my website to put links in

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WX2V2MCA8/o-76-ner-petrol-electric-railcar

website updated.

might have a look at the N gauge version.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

I have the 4mm Worsley one awaiting my attention. Were there not radiators along the roof? I'm sure Martin's (the one shown on Marske above) has them.

It was in my mind to look for someone to resin cast or 3D print those, if you're so minded.

I have the 4mm Worsley one awaiting my attention. Were there not radiators along the roof? I'm sure Martin's (the one shown on Marske above) has them.

It was in my mind to look for someone to resin cast or 3D print those, if you're so minded.

The very reason I never bought the etches , looks a nightmare to make up !.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm interested but I have just purchased your 'Ford' Bo-Bo locomotive and I am looking for a suitable chassis for it. Are you contemplating any similar vehicles? The near contemporary Daimler railcar would be a good choice.

I am contemplating a lot of different railcars, etc, but depends if I have the drawings. There is another NER railcar, shorter, with only one bogie I will do at some time, aswell as some inspection cars I think.

Just googled NER Daimler railcar, and I am pretty certain it is the one I have drawings for.

I have the books of drawings from NER society, initially got for the Tyneside EMUs, and I will be doing some of those as well. Nice thing about the Tyneside ones is that they will complete the circle back to the Southern region EPB types. I have it more difficult as I have to find motor bogies in HO scale(or near to), where as in OO it is pretty easy. I enjoy the challenge.

One thing I have noticed is that many designs got modified over the years. I try to use the drawings available, with photos if they exist. The NER railcars went through a fe changes. Roof detail seems tohave been changed, so I have stayed with what I can see in the drawings.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am contemplating a lot of different railcars, etc, but depends if I have the drawings. There is another NER railcar, shorter, with only one bogie I will do at some time, aswell as some inspection cars I think.

Just googled NER Daimler railcar, and I am pretty certain it is the one I have drawings for.

I have the books of drawings from NER society, initially got for the Tyneside EMUs, and I will be doing some of those as well. Nice thing about the Tyneside ones is that they will complete the circle back to the Southern region EPB types. I have it more difficult as I have to find motor bogies in HO scale(or near to), where as in OO it is pretty easy. I enjoy the challenge.

The Daimler railcar I mentioned was the 1913 one that had the curved ends. There are drawings here

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/railcars.htm#daimler_railcar

Page down and click on the thumbnails.

Edited by PhilJ W

The Daimler railcar I mentioned was the 1913 one that had the curved ends. There are drawings here

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/railcars.htm#daimler_railcar

Page down and click on the thumbnails.

interesting. The one I thought it was was also Daimler engined I think.

Added that one to my list.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Simon,

Where did you find the drawings for the GCR petrol-electric railcar.

Your 3d version is very good but way outside my price range hence drawings for scratch building.

Apologies for being cheeky!

Regards,

John

• Like 1

drawings are online, the NER railcar website has version restored, but the original is in diagram book sold by NER society.

Given that the r2r model will be about £200 I don't think my 3D printed version is too bad for price.

As with any panelled coach there is quite a lot of work involved in scatchbuilding one.

• Agree 2

Simon,

Thanks for your reply.

My copies of Dow's book - I presume volume 3 do not have that appendix. They stop at Wath Concentration Yard.

Sorry to bother you but what edition has the diagram which will be enough to get me started.

Regards,

John

• Like 1