Soller Train and Tram

MikeTrice

Going through the various downloaded photos all coaches appear to have a wooden cornice strip. It is not very thick and does vary slightly in depth but not sufficiently to worry about. In the last photo the vehicle nearest the camera is one of the motor coaches and these do differ from the carriages.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if a verbal explanation would add anything, but essentially under the centre buffer there is a conventional screw link and hook. Either side of the buffer and simple hook and chain, vacuum pipe to the left as you look at the headstock, electrical connectors to the right

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, that helps a lot.

How much further (either in terms of thought, planning or actual construction) have you got, Mike?

I've always thought Bunyola would make a good layout, but the general issue with it is it needs quite alot of straight real estate and the operation would be quite limited unless you use the Goods yard for more than just Civil Engineers stabling or automate it. Either way there doesn't seem to be much scope for a Micro, because of the train lengths- a Motor coach and six carriages is quite long and the loops are around 400' from the Google Earth measuring tool.

I like the idea of 1:100 on 9mm track, but then thought about T Gauge track and a scale of 1mm/ft with 3d printed bodies over the available chassis, then you could get alot of scenery into a small space....

Since returning home I have  obtained a copy of "Rails Through Majorca" by Giles Barnabe and have been studying the text and drawings provided. A quick scan and scale of his drawings suggested that I should be able to get away with a Tomytec chassis for the motor coaches and one has been ordered from Japan.

Likewise, my book arrived today and my first impressions were "Needs more photos!" I've yet to find any suitable roof photos either, quite an important area for electric stock.

I'm guessing you've ordered the Tomytec TM13R chassis, it looks like the nearest for 1:100 on 9mm track. I'm just weighing up whether I'd go for this scale, or 1:300 scale on T gauge track.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

In order to give me an idea of the physical size of a coach in 1/100 scale and to test my new 3d printer, I quickly knocked together the Soller Railway coach I've been working on and printed it. The deformation and bowing of the resin certainly suits older wooden vehicles! It is currently sat on a Dapol coach chassis.

Note that this is a long term project to model Bunyola and I'm nowhere near being able to share the drawings, if at all as I'm still undecided what scale to use. 

Hallog have recently announced a Soller tram in HOe, and I'm still debating whether to use that scale or TTn9.

Many thanks to those who have contributed photos and drawings to this thread, one say I might be able to visit the island for myself. 

IMG_20200701_184022.jpg

IMG_20200701_184005.jpg

Edited by 298
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 6 months later...

This is how well home schooling is going with a 7yr old. I've had modelling distractions from other distractions, and then life's distractions, but am currently working on the side windows of the motor coaches. I'm guessing the size abnormalities are with two of the pillar inset pieces in the first class saloon being not as wide as the other four. I've also finished drawings for some of the goods stock (as it was more social to sit downstairs on the laptop after Christmas rather than hiding at the modelling table on the loft), and hope to print them by the weekend. 

Mike's Inkscape drawings are invaluable in fitting everything together without first hand measurements and certain inaccuracies in other drawings, but I have to keep telling myself how tiny they'll be in 1:100.

PXL_20210104_123005070.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 06/01/2021 at 09:43, MikeTrice said:

Wow, that is putting me to shame.

It would have been alot easier to have one to hand to measure directly- some dimensions seem to snap into place once you assume they are of a convenient figure, such as the side planking at 90mm wide (x104 gives the same bodyside length, and the window apertures including their frames as 1000mm. 

The pans are still a problem but I now have a pair of Sommerfeldt 882s to try once I've printed the first motor. It's not beyond the realms of possibility to scale the whole project to the pans, and compromise the track gauge... 

Edited by 298
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 months later...