Soller Train and Tram

MikeTrice

• RMweb Gold

It is handy that, in common with quite a few Spanish railways, it is 3ft gauge. That also gives the possibility of HOn3 on 10.5mm track (Shinohara). I'm not too sure though where one might get suitable running gear. Edit to add: Just googled 10.5mm gauge and find that Peco are now doing HOn3. They can do points for that but have struggled to get out some British OO!

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

I will wait with interest before buying the book myself. Translating Catalan is less of an issue these days with online translation.

It seemed quite cheap for a book that size, certainly compared to French ones.

With respect to 3ft gauge. I believe that is as much to do with the British builders of the lines and stock. A lot oif the drawings can be found in the Birmingham library, as it holds the original manufacturers documentation.

Another scale that would work well is 5.5mm/ft, as this would use OO/HO trackand mechanisms. It is also very close to wargaming 28mm size, so there is a lot of saccessores available. For modern times, the Siku cars and lorries are 1/55 scale, and Norev do a range in 1/54 scale.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am loath to ask this: 1:100 or 1:120?

And yes I am aware of the thread on modelling TT metre gauge lines.

For a 3ft gauge line, I think that there is a good case for 1:100 on 9mm. For metre gauge, I would prefer 1:120 although I take Simon's point about fitting steam loco mechanisms into small bodywork.

Whilst waiting for my new book to arrive (it has now been dispatched) I have played around with the original drawings. I discovered that if I ignore the scale printed alongside them and scale them to match the lengths mentioned elsewhere in the book then they work out pretty well for vertical alignment. With that in mind I have started blocking in the major elements of the coach and motor coach on the basis that when the new book arrives it would be very easy to adjust the blocking to suit.

The blocking has been worked out on the basis of various photographs imported into Inkscape. Here is the coach compared to the original Giles Barnaby drawing:

post-3717-0-74146200-1496504874_thumb.jpg

Likewise the motor coach:

post-3717-0-69692700-1496504875_thumb.jpg

Comparing the two elements with regards to vertical height matches my earlier research. I have even resolved my coupling height issues:

post-3717-0-44475900-1496504876_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-74146200-1496504874_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-69692700-1496504875_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-44475900-1496504876_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What would be recommended for the pantographs. I ask , as I need something similar for one of my French projects.

Sommerfeldt offer similar diamond frame pans in TT & N (you'd have to check the dimensions to see which would be suitable for this, 882 in TT?). The colour can be easily changed and additional framework soldered in place to suit.

An interesting railway, Halling made one of the Trams that run to the Harbor:

http://www.halling.at/themes/kategorie/detail.php?artikelid=499

Looking forward to see more!

Greez

Simon

Stop tempting me! I've seen the Interurban and the Soller tramway featured in the media and Continental Modeller before, but have never been to Majorca (Did think about it for our Honeymoon but as soon as Mrs 298 said that to the travel agent, the special brochure came out with an extra nought on the end of every price so wee went to the home of another Tramway, Llandudno). Probably a good thing too, it's in the top ten list of prototypes I'd like to model. Edited by 298
  • Like 1

The book "El Ferrocarril A Mallorca" by Nicolau S. Cañellas has arrived. As suggested earlier there are a lot of drawings in it, a lot of which are dimensioned, however unfortunately those for the Soller Train are undimensioned. The drawings bear a great similarity to those by Giles Barnaby in "Rails Through Mallorca". As an exercise I thought I would try overlaying one with the other digitally the result of which can be seen here:

post-3717-0-18102300-1497083123_thumb.jpg

Interestingly both exhibit the same major flaw: The cabs are represented with a flat front whereas the prototype has a tapered front. Comparison with an imported photograph suggests other possible areas that are questionable:

post-3717-0-34514300-1497083240_thumb.jpg

I wonder if both drawings are based on the same incorrect source material?

Oh well, back to the drawing board (even if it is a digital one).

All major elements of the coach and motor coach have been blocked in and are in proportion to each other (hopefully):

post-3717-0-34139800-1497204402_thumb.jpg

My Inkscape drawing actually comprises a number of elements which include the original Gile Barnaby drawings and various photographs to ensure they all marry up correctly:

post-3717-0-35475300-1497204411_thumb.jpg

With the Giles Barnaby drawing visibility turned off, this is what I am actually working from:

post-3717-0-21677600-1497204419_thumb.jpg

The final drawing is now being constructed on a new layer using all the various elements as references:

post-3717-0-22711100-1497204429_thumb.jpg

And this is how it looks with the background elements hidden. Just need to finish it now:

post-3717-0-47890500-1497204436_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Mike

Going for a week to Port de Soller and Soller next week - any pics required?  (AM)  

What an offer! Yes please. I am after as many side on views as possible especially of bogies and underframe fittings taken from a low angle, i.e. not from normal standing up height, if that makes sense. Basically whatever you can get (or are prepared to take).

Thanks.

• Like 1