Class 205 in Conjunction with Kernow Model Shop

here we go. i have achieved something Bachmann or Kernow can't. a 3 car unit.

using Bachmann couplers and a bit of internal rewiring for the centre car i have a fully functional fully illuminated 3T class 204.

i have had to sacrifice a 2EPB and part of a CEP under frame, but i have done it.

all that remains is a respray and renumber as 1403, and adjust the bogie heights, as all these vehicles suffer from MLV syndrome, and not one coach is the same height as each other

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

A question... Whilst a trailer might allow the creation of a 3H and a 4EPB, are the current models of the 2H and 2EPB wired the same? I.e., if this were looked at commercially, would is there the possibility that it would really require two identical looking carriages, that were wired differently? Also I presume, there would still be a problem with set numbers, or at least the trailer numbers?

TIA,

Tref.

• RMweb Gold

A question... Whilst a trailer might allow the creation of a 3H and a 4EPB, are the current models of the 2H and 2EPB wired the same? I.e., if this were looked at commercially, would is there the possibility that it would really require two identical looking carriages, that were wired differently? Also I presume, there would still be a problem with set numbers, or at least the trailer numbers?

TIA,

Tref.

The wiring for the lighting is different in the two models.  In the 2H the head-codes are white at one end and red at the other and they are directional.  If you don't want the interior lights on then there's an on/off switch in the underframe. On the 2EPB the lights are not directional and you cannot control the lighting and head codes independently - it's either both or none.

On the 4CEP the head codes and interior lighting are separate (with DCC you control them via F0 and F1). I did try a 4CEP trailer coach in the 2H and found the interior lights worked in one direction only. However all the 2H's lights worked correctly.

There is a precedent (well sort of) for using an ex-CEP trailer coach - see http://www.semgonline.com/gallery/class207_4.html . It is in a class 207 and the coach is from a refurbished 4CEP, but modeller's licence etc.

regarding lights.

the lighting for the route indicator in the EPB and Demu are reverse. i inserted a complete coupler in the ebb cab end from a CEP driving tailer as that was the cheapest chassis i could get for bits at the time. when connected up the route indicator on the DEMU trailer worked in the wrong direction. this was easily remedied by reversing the wires on the coupler. this then made the the route indicators work in the right direction. the next issue i had was the lights for the ex EPB driving trailer. 

due to the fact the lights get their power from the contact next to the route indicator, as i have fitted the electric coupler, the circuit board would no longer fit, and i had to cut the end off. this meant there were no contacts for the risers to connect to. this was remedied by soldering wires onto the risers and prior to cutting off the end of the board tracing the tracks back and cleaning them off to a spot where i soldered on the wires from the risers.

this means now all lights work from the controller in all vehicles and directional as applicable.

i shall be making a video which i will upload on youtube showing all that i did to get this to happen. bear with me though it won't be done this week, but it will be coming

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

How many passengers in class 205 thumper?

Thank you

52 second in the motor coach and 13 first, 50 second in the driving trailer composite.  The additional centre coach, perhaps one day modelled by Kernow (hopefully!), had 104 second. 

• RMweb Premium

52 second in the motor coach and 13 first, 50 second in the driving trailer composite.  The additional centre coach, perhaps one day modelled by Kernow (hopefully!), had 104 second. 

Correct for the items as released but remember that the luggage compartment between driver and first class also seated 12 second class in the Berkshire units (1127-1133) which never had the seating stripped out and was also reinstated in some units in Connex days to help with overcrowding on the Uckfield line.

From memories I would prefer to not have those units could also accommodate as many standing as seated when used on Portsmouth - Bristol duties.  I have even seen people in the luggage racks on those trips for want of anywhere else to go.  Quite woeful when you think that the journey could be several hours long and most passengers didn't have access to a toilet never mind any other sort of seat.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Jack Cregan said:

Hi anyone taken off the tension lock coupling from the DMBSO?

Cheers Jack

It's in an NEM socket so you can just pull it out. 

• RMweb Gold

Both ends are NEM pockets - they just pull out with your fingers. If it's tight then just pull gently with a pair of pliers. 

• 11 months later...

I've been faffing about with coach lighting in some Bachmann Mk1s, and thought why not do the same to my Thumper and custom build centre coach. Bachmann seem to have developed a taste for horrible orange LEDs which look naff, and obviously no lighting in the centre coach, so the old orange LED strips were removed and new warm white strips installed, along with a small home made DCC stay alive,see here:

Each coach has one fitted, as my Thumper has sound and I can't be arsed with turning a function number on each time I want the lighting on, so they are on all the time. The effect I hope you'll agree is quite pleasing. The interior in the centre coach is painted red, the others are factory standard blue, which accounts for the difference in warmth. I think I prefer the colour of the centre coach so may well paint the other two coach seats red too, but not sure which is correct, I've seen red and blue.

IMG_uiexlc.jpg.dde1326be32e1dcb6be9ef110709b7ee.jpgIMG_-48smcw.jpg.7bbf57455741f2cb1128de9971d435bd.jpgIMG_-wa0aaa.jpg.6a105300a7fe2d6db49c0d3a262ec14d.jpgIMG_o3nfcf.jpg.f43ab0180894ad59d6319014caa3754f.jpg20200405_142406.jpg.7eac534b633fcaabedffaba408c45e9a.jpg20200405_142413.jpg.be551b48c8aab4ca95b2db8a64d3de76.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Nicely done. However, I do wish Bachmann would 'pull their finger out' and produce the three car set properly, in blue/grey, of course.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Nicely done. However, I do wish Bachmann would 'pull their finger out' and produce the three car set properly, in blue/grey, of course.

Keep dreaming.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve been thinking of getting one in solid blue and just wondering if the center coach was ever removed for repair work etc and the two remaining in service, or would the whole unit be taken out of service?  I’m just trying to find a excuse to buy one :D.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve been thinking of getting one in solid blue and just wondering if the center coach was ever removed for repair work etc and the two remaining in service, or would the whole unit be taken out of service?  I’m just trying to find a excuse to buy one :D.

The current Bachmann BR blue set is numbered 1122, which was one of 4 Class 205 units (1119 - 1122 that always were 2-car units until they became 3-car Class 204's in the early 80's, so there is no excuse.... :D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Geep7 said:

The current Bachmann BR blue set is numbered 1122, which was one of 4 Class 205 units (1119 - 1122 that always were 2-car units until they became 3-car Class 204's in the early 80's, so there is no excuse.... :D

Any idea when it was painted into blue and grey?  I assume it would about the same time it gained a centre coach.