R643 (2nd radius half curve) out of stock?

Coryton

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby web site is showing R643 (2nd radius half curve) as out of stock.

A quick on-line search suggests that some retailers have stocks, some are waiting for new supplies.

I understand the batch-production approach to rolling stock, but surely a full range of track is something that should be always available? It's one thing having to wait for the locomotive of your dreams to turn up - another thing not being able to carry on track-laying.

Of course this is only a problem for someone who insists only on using Hornby products as there seems to be no difficulty getting the Peco equivalent, but still.....

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if they still do but Bachmann used to produce the same track as Hornby, it being made in the Austrian factory that used to make Hornby's setrack before their production moved to China and is identical bar the name and number removed from the underside of the sleepers.

Personally with a few exceptions I prefer to use flexitrack cut and curved to shape for most applications these days, its cheaper than set track for a starter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if they still do but Bachmann used to produce the same track as Hornby, it being made in the Austrian factory that used to make Hornby's setrack before their production moved to China and is identical bar the name and number removed from the underside of the sleepers.

Personally with a few exceptions I prefer to use flexitrack cut and curved to shape for most applications these days, its cheaper than set track for a starter.

I don't know of any good reason to use Hornby instead of Peco settrack. I think at one point Peco lacked refinements such as pre-installed fishplates and the product code on the track itself, but not now.

However Hornby would no doubt prefer that people bought their own track - the Antics web site helpfully says that this part is no longer produced and points you to a Peco equivalent.

As for flexitrack - I find it a lot easier to use curved track already made to the shape it needs to be rather than trying to bend and keep flexitrack to such unprototypical curves/corners.

I don't know of any good reason to use Hornby instead of Peco settrack. I think at one point Peco lacked refinements such as pre-installed fishplates and the product code on the track itself, but not now.

However Hornby would no doubt prefer that people bought their own track - the Antics web site helpfully says that this part is no longer produced and points you to a Peco equivalent.

As for flexitrack - I find it a lot easier to use curved track already made to the shape it needs to be rather than trying to bend and keep flexitrack to such unprototypical curves/corners.

I agree. Using Setrack components for unprototypical curves is a lot less hassle than chopping flexitrack.I always end up making a complete hash of things mainly due to poor eyesight .

Cheers,  Craig.

Sad to say, that is not the only piece of track that is out of stock. R8262 Fourth Radius Double Curves has been out of stock for quite some time. There is no actual Peco or Bachmann equivalent. Other track pieces that are out of stock do have a Peco part that is suitable. If anyone is interested we have had one R8262 for quite some time. Not sure on the latest update, according to the website it is June. When I ordered the aforementioned track I was told it was due in August. I asked which year.

I totally agree with the OP, Hornby should never run out of track.

But then again please do not ask for matt black acrylic (Humbrol 33) in any shop, I don't think anyone has it. It doesn't even appear on the Humbrol website.  Reason given.... "we are changing the artwork and we are not sure when it will be back in stock" Artwork, it's a pot of paint!!!

• RMweb Premium

Sad to say, that is not the only piece of track that is out of stock. R8262 Fourth Radius Double Curves has been out of stock for quite some time. There is no actual Peco or Bachmann equivalent. 

Well you can at least put two Peco curves together.

Mind you, I've just seen this on the Hattons web site: Hornby R8262 Double 4th radius curve (8 make a circle)

"Track is labelled R8261 on the bottom, but these are R8262 double curves"

Oops?

But then again please do not ask for matt black acrylic (Humbrol 33) in any shop, I don't think anyone has it. It doesn't even appear on the Humbrol website.  Reason given.... "we are changing the artwork and we are not sure when it will be back in stock" Artwork, it's a pot of paint!!!

Well I did hear of Humbrol matt acrylic that was drying a nice shade of blue...