• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Welcome to my layout thread. A few members have suggested that I set up my own layout thread. The layout is OO Gauge and I have a variety of modern image locos and stock. Most of my locos are either Freightliner or DRS but I am hoping to expand to incorporate other FOCs diesels and other stock onto the layout. My previous layout was based on Leeds Midland Road Freightliner Depot but the new current layout is more based on Crewe Gresty Bridge DRS Depot. This is due to me now having significantly more DRS locos than Freightliner. This layout currently does not have a name although I do refer to the depot on it as Crewe Gresty Bridge DRS Depot.

Firstly here is a loco fleet and stock list of what I currently have:

DRS Compass 37402 (Limited Edition)

DRS Compass 37405 (Standard Loco)

DRS Compass 37409 (Model Rail Limited Edition)

DRS Compass 37419 (Renumbered from a Standard 37405 model)

DRS Compass 37425 (Renumbered from a standard 37405 model)

DRS Compass 37602 (From R3Sprays as a respray which has the correct noses and working wipac lighting fitted)

DRS Compass 37605 (From R3Sprays. This is a Limited Edition by R3Sprays and Olivia's Trains. Alike 602, this loco also has the correct noses and working wipac lighting fitted)

DRS Compass 47501 (Respray from Olivia's Trains)

DRS Northern Belle 47790 (Rail Exclusive Limited Edition twin pack which also included 47832)

DRS Compass 47802 (Respray from Olivia's Trains)

DRS Revised 47810 (Rail Exclusive Limited Edition)

DRS Compass 47813 (Rail Exclusive Limited Edition)

DRS Northern Belle 47832 (Rail Exclusive Limited Edition twin pack which also included 47790)

DRS Compass 47853 (Rail Exclusive Limited Edition)

DRS Compass 57011 (Standard loco)

DRS Revised 57301 (Respray by CairnsRoadWorks)

DRS Revised 57303 (Respray by CairnsRoadWorks)

DRS Northern Belle 57305 (Respray by R3Sprays)

DRS Revised 57306 (Respray by CairnsRoadWorks)

DRS 20th Anniversary 57307 (Respray by R3Sprays)

DRS Compass 57309 (Standard loco from R3Sprays)

DRS Revised 57310 (Respray by (CairnsRoadWorks)

DRS Northern Belle 57312 (Respray by R3Sprays)

DB Schenker Red 60011 (Respray by Olivia's Trains)

DRS Stobart Rail 66411 (Standard loco)

DRS Compass 66412 (Standard loco)

Freightliner Shanks 66522 (Limited Edition)

Freightliner 66532 (Standard loco)

Freightliner Bardon Aggregates 66623 (Limited Edition)

Freightliner 66952 (Standard loco)

Freightliner 70003 (Standard loco)

Freightliner 70004 (Renumbered & Weathered)

Freightliner 70006 (Standard loco)

Freightliner 70010 (Renumbered & Weathered)

Network Rail Yellow 97302 & 97304 (Special Edition twin pack by ViTrains)

Wagons:

24 Dapol Network Rail Yellow IOAs

11 Dapol Network Rail Yellow JNAs

8 Dapol IKA Megafret Container Wagons

3 Bachmann FNA Nuclear Flasks

Coaches:

6 DRS Compass MK2s (Resprays by 159220)

5 Hornby Northern Belle Coaches (Four MK2s and one MK3)

I have a lot more locos, wagons and coaches to add to the above list in future. The reason I have not added it now above is because they are new, unused and still packed away and haven't been run on the layout yet. If I add these at a later stage to the thread, as and when they are added to the layout it will make things a lot more interesting. You will then be able to see over time the sort of direction that I am going with locos and stock and you will be able to see the purpose of me buying them and where they are going to fit in.

Just to let everyone know I haven't and don't do any modelling on this layout. The reason being is mainly lack of time. The layout is mainly track, with locos, stock and buildings. I therefore appreciate that the layout looks sparse in terms of modelling and detail.  However their are lots of fantastic layouts on this site and others that have a lot of modelling go on and that pay close attention to detail. This extent of modelling and detail is truly amazing and inspirational. Well done everyone!

I hope that everyone likes and enjoys this thread.

I will upload some pictures at some point when I have some free time.

Thank you for looking and reading.

Kind Regards,

Danny.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Sounds great, you earned my follow and hope to see this progress mate!

Ben

Thank you very much Ben. I really appreciate it mate.

I was hoping to add some photos but their have been a few teething problems with what's in the photos. Hopefully I am sorting this out this coming week and their will be some photos following soon.

Thank you for the follow again mate.

• Like 1

I'm currently thinking that their might be some changed to the TMD which may involve adding/swopping/changes some buildings which may mean that the track has to be rearranged.

If you have made a trackplan on SCARM, Anyrail etc, post it here and I'm sure we can help you tweak it.

• RMweb Premium

If you have made a trackplan on SCARM, Anyrail etc, post it here and I'm sure we can help you tweak it.

Thank you for the help mate. I really appreciate it but unfortunately I don't have a track plan.

I figured that with the amount of depot space and sidings that I wanted on the layout it would be impossible to fully follow a track plan.

Basically the whole layout has been constructed through trial and error. For example I had to take a few sidings up earlier this year because some locos were derailing due to the points and the smaller radius curves. However most of the layout has worked fine since I originally constructed it.

Guest eddie reffin

Good shout. Get some pics up to show the journey to building the layout. Plus we get to see some of your locos. Always good to show off the fleet!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

going by many of your previous posts across various threads you do come across as a prolific wishlister/bulls##tter with a good £10k worth of stock either already bought or on order and now you have a layout that you can't photograph

so come on prove us all wrong and get those pics up!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Firstly my apologies for it taking nearly four weeks since starting this thread so put some photos on. I have just finished my second year of uni last week so I have been quite busy. Still better late than never. Now for a selection of photos. The first photo shows the entrance to the depot area. There is one point which is just out of view that leads into the depot. Off this point comes several more points which can be seen in the below photo. The tracks coming off lead to the sidings that go into the depot/shed and stabling sidings. The two sidings closest to the wall at the back are the longest and these are used for the locos that are just stabled because it's quite difficult to take them off and put them back on the track. The sidings closest in the photo are the lines where the locos are stabled awaiting exams or repairs or locos that have just arrived on the depot awaiting their next movement or maintenance.

post-23510-0-00365800-1498469546_thumb.jpg

The second photo also shows the depot sidings.

post-23510-0-34218400-1498470017_thumb.jpg

47810, 47790, a UID DRS 57/3, a UID 37/6, Network Rail 97302 and 97304 sit stabled on Gresty Bridge awaiting their next movements. Of note at this point the NR 97s have been out of service for months due to a lack of work for them. Both are currently on hire to DRS following a loco shortage.

post-23510-0-73548500-1498470267_thumb.jpg

Buffer to buffer...

Network Rail 97302 and 97304 sit stabled buffer to buffer on Crewe Gresty Bridge.

post-23510-0-09480800-1498470493_thumb.jpg

DRS Compass 47s 501 and 802 sit at Eastleigh Arlington Works. The pair were their for repairs and overhaul last year. Repaints were planned but these were cancelled due to the locos been required back in service and also due to a lack of funding. Both have since been reinstated and returned to traffic, although both are currently out of service at Crewe Gresty Bridge.

post-23510-0-99690500-1498470712_thumb.jpg

This photo shows the other side of the layout which is opposite to the depot. This side of the layout is a yard where all of the wagons and some locos are stabled and shunted. The longest through lines at the back are used for the Dapol IOAs for the Crewe to Mountsorrel and return DRS operated trains and for the Daventry to Mossend and return Tesco liner. Another through line is also used for a rake of Dapol JNAs to stable. The shorter lines are all sidings. These are used for the nuclear flask wagons, coaches, Network Rail test coach and locos.

post-23510-0-50704000-1498470989_thumb.jpg

This photo is taken from the entrance to the train room and shows the curved sections of the through lines in the yard. It also shows the end of the sidings.

post-23510-0-25605100-1498471368_thumb.jpg

And finally to finish the first full photo post a picture of one of my favourite locos. DRS Compass 37605 stands on shed at Crewe Gresty Bridge.

post-23510-0-05352600-1498471585_thumb.jpg

I hope you have all enjoyed the first full photo post. Thank you very much for waiting patiently and for all of the supportive comments and feedback. I really appreciate it.  

Any comments and questions please ask.

Thank you very much for looking and reading.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Is that of what will be the scenic side of the board or is this the fiddle yard area?

Hi Ben,

Hope your ok?

The first photo which was the test photo is the entrance to the depot area. This has changed slightly since this photo was taken. The small siding close to the camera with the buffer on is now a full siding which goes down the side of the depot building. This siding can now hold eight or nine locos as opposed to two. I will show the developments and changes as we go along.

Hi Ben,

Hope your ok?

The first photo which was the test photo is the entrance to the depot area. This has changed slightly since this photo was taken. The small siding close to the camera with the buffer on is now a full siding which goes down the side of the depot building. This siding can now hold eight or nine locos as opposed to two. I will show the developments and changes as we go along.

Ahhh I see, yeah I'm alright thanks yourself mate?, what track do you use and how to the megafrets run on them?

Ben

• RMweb Premium

Ahhh I see, yeah I'm alright thanks yourself mate?, what track do you use and how to the megafrets run on them?

Ben

Good and I'm good too thanks.

Track is a right mixed bag. Years ago when I had my first layout all of the track was Hornby but now I use Hornby, Bachmann and Peco track. All of the points are now Bachmann or Peco. Straight track is a mixture of Hornby and Bachmann. The curved track is mostly Hornby I think.

The Megafrets are a bit hit and miss. Sometimes their will be no derailing and others their will. I think they derail if the loco/s have mucky wheels. I now try and run these with locos that have just had their wheels cleaned. I think the bad conductivity with the train wheels and track can cause jerking and jolting which derails them. I also play as safe as possible with the Megafrets by letting them run around the outer circuits of track where the yard is. This significantly lessens the amount of points that they go over and lessens derailing.

Good and I'm good too thanks.

Track is a right mixed bag. Years ago when I had my first layout all of the track was Hornby but now I use Hornby, Bachmann and Peco track. All of the points are now Bachmann or Peco. Straight track is a mixture of Hornby and Bachmann. The curved track is mostly Hornby I think.

The Megafrets are a bit hit and miss. Sometimes their will be no derailing and others their will. I think they derail if the loco/s have mucky wheels. I now try and run these with locos that have just had their wheels cleaned. I think the bad conductivity with the train wheels and track can cause jerking and jolting which derails them. I also play as safe as possible with the Megafrets by letting them run around the outer circuits of track where the yard is. This significantly lessens the amount of points that they go over and lessens derailing.

Yeah I found this aswell, just wanted to see if you had any similar problems...

Guest eddie reffin

Good start Danny. It's always good to get everything running the way you want before starting the scenery. Looking forward to see the progress over the coming months!

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

blimey, they do exist!

im going to have to eat some humble pie now, i genuinely thought you had an over active imagination when you came out with your wishlist wants and how you were going to buy 2 of this and 2 of that but looks like i was mistaken!

good luck with the layout and be careful with those sidings next to the edge of the board, Dapol 68s don't bounce as i found out