We are currently in the process of planning our first group project. We decided to build a micro layout to see if we can all function together and build a joint layout without strangling each other. As individuals we have all constructed our own high quality layouts but never a joint project.

Let us introduce you to Depot Lane, the first joint project from M.R.P.G, a layout of new ideas, sound fitted locos and sliced fingers.

DEPOT LANE

When designing the layout we had to consider the following points...

- The layout needed to be small, so it can be easily set up on the kitchen table in no time at all, and allow any of us to take it home should we need to

- It needed to be simple, but still interesting to operate

- Because we want to save our funds for the main project we wanted to build it on a budget

- As we have interests in different periods, we wanted to keep it non-specific

- Although we are all DCC, we own different control systems. So we need to be able to plug any of our systems in without any issues.

Taking all this into account, it didn't actually take long to decide on our final idea and get going. We started construction on a rather chilly Saturday afternoon last November. It took us about six hours to build the board, lay the track and get it wired up...

post-31930-0-58493100-1496008305_thumb.jpg

The board with the track laid. Its very simple, the fiddle yard consists of a single sector plate connecting to five tracks. There will be a shed on the right hand track. There's a couple of stabling sidings in the middle and the fourth and fifth on the left create a run around loop for the delivery of fuel adding operational interest.

post-31930-0-29502500-1496008349_thumb.jpg

After testing the tracks we pressed on with the scenery. Simon laid the hard standing, Paul painted the rails and me and Shaun ballasted the track. The layout is seen here in another test session with some of our BR Blue stock. The point is controlled with piano wire ran through bicycle brake cable tube connecting to a manual lever.

That's all for now. We'll be back soon with more progress on Depot Lane

Heinz57

Edited by M.R.P.G
  • Like 9

Further Progress

In the last update we talked about the idea behind the layout and the early stages of construction including the track laying and ballasting.

This work took us until the end of November. As winter marched on, we continued working on the layout.

post-31930-0-35922400-1496352571_thumb.jpg

Of course we spent a lot of time 'playing' with the layout as you can see here! This photo has a better view of Simon's hard standing, painted up but not yet weathered. The chosen method to laying the hard standing is one by Andy York in BRM. Simon found this method last year and we have been successfully using it ever since. Simon has done it on a couple of his own layouts and I have also used it on the current version of my Elveden Road.

post-31930-0-67555800-1496352614_thumb.jpg

Here is another look at the hard standing. In the back ground is the Bachmann Scenecraft shed, this isn't the actual model we will be using. Its actually Paul's that we used to size it up. The completed layout will use a scratch built shed.

post-31930-0-22690600-1496352658_thumb.jpg

As time rolled on and December made way for January we made steady progress on the layout. The next major addition to the layout was the backscene using 3.5mm MDF and the bridge and road made using 3mm plywood. Shaun made the supports using corrugated packing card, it doesn't seem like much but believe me, now its finished it it absolutely rock solid! The front fascia was also added which not only gives the layout a neat look but provides a bit more support for the road.

post-31930-0-30591600-1496352702_thumb.jpg

After the road and back scene was added, Shaun made further progress by starting on the retaining wall. He first created a 'base' using more 3.5mm MDF and a bit of cork here and there. This gives the brick sheet a smooth surface for it to stick on to.

As January and February rolled on we made quite a bit of progress and started to make the model look more like a layout than a stack of wood with a bit of track on it. Although what we have done here doesn't seem like much, we're happy with it. We only meet up once a week and spend a few hours working on the layout, so as you can appreciate that isn't much time! I think when we start working on our tail chaser project we'll probably find more time for us to work on the layout so work on that will probably be much quicker.

Cheers,

Heinz57

Edited by M.R.P.G
  • Like 9

Looks excellent!

Is the hard standing fab foam? I've used that stuff previously and it works a treat!

Yep, that`s the stuff!  I used cork tiles up to the sleeper edges and then filled in the rest with the Fab Foam.  When dry, all of it was sprayed with suede effect paint and left to dry before random spraying with grey and white primer to the desired colour finish.  More weathering work is still needed though

Psiborg

Thanks chaps for your kind comments on the layout, we very much appreciate it!

Further Progress

post-31930-0-73892600-1496699336_thumb.jpg

In the last update I mentioned about the retaining wall that Shaun has started to construct. This photo shows it as a work in progress. It is based loosely on the retaining wall behind Sheffield Station, basically a miss-matched blend of various styles of brick work. What I find amazing is Shaun built it only from scraps he had left over in his spares box, and it looks fantastic!

post-31930-0-01208200-1496699391_thumb.jpg

Also visible is the shed that Simon has been constructing, it's of a simple construction and represents a typical basic engine shed. This photo was taken after the metal cladding had been painted but prior to any weathering being added.

post-31930-0-12305100-1496699437_thumb.jpg

As March 'Marched' on, we made quite a bit of progress on the layout and it really started to come to life! Firstly I added an extension to the road so it now goes over the tracks and connects the hard standing to the road. I did this using the same 3mm plywood we used for the bridge and used filler to slope the ends down. This photo was taken shortly after the filler was applied, so looks a bit of a mess in the photo but after sanding and tidying it looks pretty good.

The fuel tank and pump house is my main project on the layout. I based the model on the ones that were at Buxton, the tank was made from the Knightwing kit and the rest is scratch built. I actually built and weathered it back in February but we didn't fix it straight on the layout and just put it to one side, that's why you can't see it on any other photos.

The water tower was another bit of detail we added, and I volunteered to build this. Without much research I dived in and started building it, I made the tank and then was a defeatist and gave up. Simon then stepped in and took over on this build, he studied some photos and then added the support legs and further details to the tower. Here you see the tower half done, since this photo was taken more details have been added, its been painted and looks really good!

Finally you can also see the retaining wall almost completed. The main wall has been completed and its seen here awaiting capping stones and painting/weathering.

This update brings us up to the end of March. Stay tuned for more showing the work we've done on the layout this past couple of weeks, it's really looking the part now!

Cheers,

Heinz57

Edited by M.R.P.G
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to all

Further progress was made to Depot Lane in May with more work to the retaining walls, finishing off the capping stones and work around the bridge girder.

post-31930-0-87672700-1498170154_thumb.jpg

We have also painted inside the fiddle yard / sector plate area, and there is always time to give the layout a test with the sound fitted DB 08.

post-31930-0-79230200-1498170406_thumb.jpg

Into June and the retaining walls have been painted with a mortar colour. The filler work on the road way has been smoothed down and given a base coat of paint.

post-31930-0-23924800-1498170729_thumb.jpg

More updates soon

Scooby71

• Like 6

Nice design for a minimum space layout
I've often thought of doing a pointless design - but your inclusion of just one point is neat
By the way - what is this "fab foam" of which you speak? Sorry, I've not come across it before

Looking forward to seeing this complete :)
Cheers

• Like 1

​Water tower

​As mentioned in post 6, Matt started to construct the water tower and made the water tank, but then Simon took over for the supporting framework.

​Brass rod was used for the legs, and the cross bars are microstrip. Plastic rod was used for the centre water pipe, and a Ratio signal ladder with hoops added, with additional microstrip for the ladder cage.

post-31974-0-00073300-1498608887_thumb.jpg

​A running session in the blue era with the new water tank.

post-31974-0-85852300-1498609315_thumb.jpg

The paintwork on the retaining walls has also been completed

post-31974-0-99305400-1498609530_thumb.jpg

​Then the water tower was sprayed with grey primer

post-31974-0-44181400-1498610474_thumb.jpg

​More updates soon

Scooby71

• Like 6

This is a very interesting project. I do have one query though, why a trailing point making two roads out of the scenic section instead of a facing one, thereby giving two sidings instead of one? Unless it is meant to be a half run round loop of course...

steve

This is a very interesting project. I do have one query though, why a trailing point making two roads out of the scenic section instead of a facing one, thereby giving two sidings instead of one? Unless it is meant to be a half run round loop of course...

steve

Spot on!  It's so we can run a loco in with a TTA tank, stop it over a magnet (all stock is Kadee fitted) and uncouple, loco runs on and point is changed and it runs back to fiddleyard.  It can then return to push the tank wagon up to the buffer where the unloading point is.

(But basically its an excuse to add extra moves to do at an exhibition!)  :secret:

Psiborg

Edited by M.R.P.G
  • Like 1

BUFFER STOP LIGHTS

The buffer stop lights we wanted to fit needed to be of a non specific time period, so we were looking for a prototype that would be suitable.  One day we were sitting at Sheffield Midland station and saw this one at the end of the bay platform...

post-31930-0-09603200-1499022523_thumb.jpg

Shaun found a way to build them using LEDs and resistors from Layouts4U

post-31930-0-66860600-1499022939_thumb.jpg

The ends were cut off and they were fitted like this...

post-31930-0-72876300-1499022695_thumb.jpg

After painting the brackets on, here they are, all illuminated with a few of Paul's locos 'on shed'

post-31930-0-45588100-1499023739_thumb.jpg

Psiborg

Edited by M.R.P.G
  • Like 7

Fuel tanks

​With the amount of locos visiting the depot, there is not enough capacity in the small single tank to refuel them all.

​So we have had a change around, Matts tank and pump building is now attached to the depot building.

post-31930-0-11742500-1499378870_thumb.jpg

On the layout in the blue era.

Note the buffer stop lights.

post-31930-0-62749500-1499379077_thumb.jpg

​Up to date with DB.

post-31930-0-10330900-1499379318_thumb.jpg

The new bigger tanks have arrived

post-31930-0-06344500-1499379628_thumb.jpg

post-31930-0-51398800-1499379554_thumb.jpg

​The tops have been covered with plasticard, and filler

Edited by M.R.P.G
  • Like 7

Looking really good shaun, I like the way it looks wih different eras of stock, I could do with something like that with the stuff I have!

Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to more photos.

Steve.

• Like 1

Looking really good shaun, I like the way it looks wih different eras of stock, I could do with something like that with the stuff I have!

Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to more photos.

Steve.

Hi Steve, thank you for your comments

Here's a few more photos

post-31930-0-83254700-1499464430_thumb.jpg

post-31930-0-26831900-1499464592_thumb.jpg

post-31930-0-67889300-1499464925_thumb.jpg

Another busy day at the depot, that's why we needed bigger fuel tanks.

Shaun.

Edited by M.R.P.G
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

How have I missed the cracker of a layout it's a genius way of having only one point on the layout to give more movements at exhibitions.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one for some inspiration on my next layout.

Cheers

Colin

Edited by CovDriver

Cheers Colin,

We hope you do get inspired by it and we would like to see what you come up with!

Shaun (Scooby71) says he will be posting another update in a few days! (That's if he can stop himself working on his own layout Drabford   :jester:

Simon (Psiborg)

Edited by M.R.P.G

Hi to all,

Here's the update as I said I would get round to it, but too many projects and not enough time to update...

We have been busy making a lid for the fiddle yard, it is hinged so it can be folded down when the layout is not in use and to make transporting easier.

Also so you cannot see us lifting the stock on and off at shows.

post-31930-0-39059900-1499811649_thumb.jpg

The end board just slots on or off, and the lid just rests on a block of wood.

Note the point operating lever .

post-31930-0-22931200-1499812404_thumb.jpg

post-31930-0-45951900-1499813100_thumb.jpg

Just needs painting and we intend to add a "Depot Lane" sign at a later date.

Thanks for looking

Shaun

M.R.P.G

Edited by M.R.P.G
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1