An assortment of shots of my father's layout - Chagford:

file.php?id=3523

file.php?id=3524

file.php?id=3525

file.php?id=3526

file.php?id=3527

file.php?id=3528

Comment posted by 10800 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:09 pm

Very nice Jon - any more details, plan, scale?

I like the backscene, especially in the last picture where you really can't tell where the layout ends and the backdrop begins icon_smile.gif

??? posted on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:11 pm

Its O gauge.

Don't have a plan icon_redface.gif - but I'll try and dig out some more shots which show a bit more of an overview.

??? posted on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:20 pm

file.php?id=3529

Looking from above the tunnel mouth towards the station. The kick back siding in the left foreground leads to this:

file.php?id=3530

file.php?id=3531

Other more recent work has included installing the first signal:

file.php?id=3532

file.php?id=3533

Comment posted by Miss Prism on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Excellent scenic work - subdued and restrained.

Comment posted by Douglas G on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:09 pm

Miss Prism wrote:

Excellent scenic work - subdued and restrained.

I agree totally - this layout shows fantastic use of a careful pallet of colours, with lots of blue-white incorporated to give the effect of distance. In particular there are brighter colours in the foreground and very pale colours in the background, just as you would see in real life.

I hesitate to make a criticism/suggestion with something so good, but it is meant in a positive, constructive way. As with many model railway backgrounds, the hills in the distance look too low to my eyes for the typical viewing position "in the air" above the layout (as used for the photos). Art teachers say that the horizon is always at eye-level in the real world, so in a model backscene quite a depth of hills and land in the background should be portrayed. Then again, if you are viewing from track level, what has been done in this example is probably about right.

Douglas

Comment posted by Emmo on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:52 pm

Excellent layout and credit to your father. Seeing stuff like this makes you want to start all over again! Nice backscenes - photographs I assume. I've seen so many wonderful layouts ruined by painted backscenes irrespective of how good the artist is. Painted scenes will always look like painted scenes - photographic ones show realism.

Comment posted by dseagull on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:12 pm

That's really nice. As has been said, superb colouring.

Comment posted by number6 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:29 pm

Really nice - excellent observation on how the landscape and railway interact. And the low and small image size on the backscene is very cany!

Raphael

??? posted on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:56 pm

Thanks for all the kind words - my father is overwhelmed!

In response to the post about the horizon level, he's set it at eye level for when he's sitting operating the layout - hope this makes sense.

Comment posted by Douglas G on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:45 pm

jongwinnett wrote:

Thanks for all the kind words - my father is overwhelmed!

In response to the post about the horizon level, he's set it at eye level for when he's sitting operating the layout - hope this makes sense.

Yes it does! icon_thumbsdown.gif

That's the problem with a model backscene - unlike a real scene, the horizon position doesn't change as the height of your viewpoint changes.

More than anything, what your father's layout shows is the importance of consistency across all aspects of the layout so that the whole blends into a convincing, realistic whole.

Douglas

Comment posted by John B on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:12 am

Some fabulous modelling here, Jon - serious kudos to your dad! icon_thumbsdown.gif

Love to see more of this. icon_cool.gif

Comment posted by nevardmedia on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:20 am

For me the landscape on the backscene is about the right height - especially if you're likely to be using the layout alot for photography from 'ground level'.

Great colouring and refreshingly free from Wo#dland Sc#nics 'ground foam' masquerading as grass - top man!

??? posted on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:07 pm

Thanks again. As I said, my father (Terry) was quite overwhelmed by the response - but he expresses it far better himself:

I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to all those who have submitted comments on my humble - and still unfinished - rendering of Chagford as it might have been. It is really encouraging to receive the opinions of people who have never seen it before and are therefore not quite so biased as Jonathan may be. When you work away, year after year, familiarity can easily breed contempt, but it has long been my ambition to finish it to a level where it might be considered for publication in one of the modelling magazines. That ambition is still there but Jonathan has almost pre-empted it through your forum, for which I thank him. There is still some way to go but your comments will certainly spur me on.

Although he doesn't say so, I know that this labour of love has kept him going through serious ill health, giving him a focus. It might sound gushing icon_redface.gif , but his dogged determination humbles me every time I think of it. Which is often...

Comment posted by Anglian on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:57 am

I think this is very nice indeed, your father has every reason to be proud. Somehow to my eyes this type of restrained modelling is far more atmospheric than a more cluttered design, perhaps because I spent too many hours waiting on a fairly desolate platform for my train to school.

Everything is in harmony and the buildings are particualry well rendered.

I'd enjoy seeing more.

Comment posted by Gravy Train on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:40 am

Jongwinnet,

A lovely layout is that, and modelled to a very high standard and the backscene works very well indeed as wether it is too low or high i have no idea as never been to chagford.

Excellent colour and careful modelling! icon_smile.gif

Comment posted by 7F 2-8-0 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:04 pm

That is a real nice layout you have there.

Shaun

??? posted on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:07 pm

Some older and stock shots

file.php?id=3814

file.php?id=3816

file.php?id=3819

file.php?id=3820

file.php?id=3822

file.php?id=3823

file.php?id=3824

Comment posted by Stuart in OZ on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:59 am

WOW, very nice looking layout, Hope I can come close.

Stuart in OZ

??? posted on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:29 pm

file.php?id=5821

Comment posted by Phil on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:31 am

Thanks for posting these pics Jonathan. Your father has crafted a fine model railway there. As Miss P said earlier, the colours appear very natural and the layout just flows.

Very nice indeed and a credit to your dad.

Comment posted by lapford34102 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:09 am

Hi,

Simply superb! I wish I could be as subtle. How big is it?

Stu

Comment posted by Andel on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:31 am

It's amazing. Tell your father I'm in awe of some excellant work - it shows what high standards I have to aim at.

Comment posted by Bangor Lad on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:31 pm

I'd like to mirror all the comments to date on the quality of this layout. Simply brilliant!

BL

??? posted on Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:41 pm

lapford34102 wrote:

Hi,

Simply superb! I wish I could be as subtle. How big is it?

Stu

Thanks all for the comments. The layout is about 16' long - probably 3' wide at most. But it cuts a crescent round the room, so the depth along the ends is as much as 8', but with a very narrow board.

Chagford BR (WR) - Freight Twilight - New Project

by jongwinnett

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:04 pm

file.php?id=5901

T'other Pannier (I had a hand in building this, and its on its third paint scheme!)

Those with long memories might recall this in its virgin brass state at the Glasgow show about 10 years ago!

Comment posted by mines a pint on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:21 am

Very nice, I know you mentioned this in the my thread about being 'tempted' to have a go at 7mm- just adds to the temptation- only got about half as much space though icon_cry.gif - Lovely model, scenery looks spot on, nice colouring.

??? posted on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:00 pm

mines a pint wrote:

Very nice, I know you mentioned this in the my thread about being 'tempted' to have a go at 7mm- just adds to the temptation- only got about half as much space though
icon_cry.gif
- Lovely model, scenery looks spot on, nice colouring.

Well, Ditchling Green was much smaller, so its possible to get oodles of atmosphere in less space, although I do like the spacious feel of Chagford, I must admit.

Comment posted by ScRSG on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:40 pm

Jon,

Finally managed to navigate my way here, yer dad's layout looks excellent! Should look even better with all the new wagons your getting him!!!!

Comment posted by ardgart on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:12 pm

Your Dad should be very proud of his work if ever I can achieve even half of whats hes done I will be pleased again excellent layout and good luck and health to a true master of railway modelling

??? posted on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:00 pm

file.php?id=17322

Latest addition to the wagon fleet. Needs weathering and has pretty much no place in Devon in the early 60's but its his train set, and a lovely model, so who am I to complain!

Comment posted by smudgeloco on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:23 pm

This is what the hobby is all about. Fantastic, and so very believable.

May I ask where the backscenes originated?

Comment posted by DaveGeo on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:25 pm

I don't know what it is but I think there is a natural, calming atmosphere that seems to be emanating from this layout - matched no less by the quality of the photos.

Really good stuff.

Dave

??? posted on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:27 pm

Some other odd pics, and the new crane (ex Hornby Dublo!)

file.php?id=17323

file.php?id=17324

Starting point:

file.php?id=17325

And the finished article:

file.php?id=17326

file.php?id=17327

The large gears for the hand crank mechanism were fretted out by hand:

file.php?id=17328

file.php?id=17329

file.php?id=17330

file.php?id=17331

file.php?id=17332

??? posted on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:31 pm

smudgeloco wrote:

This is what the hobby is all about. Fantastic, and so very believable.

May I ask where the backscenes originated?

The "Sky" is emulsion sponged and graduated into the horizon. The landscape is pictures, (taken in Dorset or Wilts I think,) cut and pasted onto the walls. The pictures might have been put through one of the free panorama programmes first I think.

??? posted on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:33 pm

DaveGeo wrote:

I don't know what it is but I think there is a natural, calming atmosphere that seems to be emanating from this layout - matched no less by the quality of the photos.

Really good stuff.

Dave

Thanks Dave - my dad will be delighted by your response I think!

Comment posted by Wonder-Rail on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:40 pm

Really nice layout, one question, where did you get the Oxfit's from? (Cattle wagons)

??? posted on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:46 pm

Wonder-Rail wrote:

Really nice layout, one question, where did you get the Oxfit's from? (Cattle wagons)

I got them at Telford GOG about ten years ago - they "might" have been by Richard De camin, but in aby event they are a mixture of Slaters sides and running gear and Resin ends, aluminium roof IRC.

Comment posted by nevardmedia on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:10 am

Amazing looking wagons, the patina is brilliant!

??? posted on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:48 pm

nevardmedia wrote:

Amazing looking wagons, the patina is brilliant!

Thanks Chris icon_redface.gif The sheeted wagon was one of mine - built and painted about 12-14 years ago after an example in Martyn Welch's book - the finish is pure Welch. These days, If I were starting again the finish might be more a la Pugsley icon_drool.gif . It was originally loaded with Milliput sacks (again a Welch idea) but these had gone off over time and become sticky - so Dad replaced them with the sheet as shown in the pictures.

I've checked with my old man and he confirms the backscene photos were a mix of shots from Dorset and Wilts - probably the Shaftesbury/Gillingham sort of area (I have family in Newtown near Tisbury)

??? posted on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:50 pm

The crane again. (He wants to replace the hook - what do you think?)

file.php?id=17423

Comment posted by Captain Kernow on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:02 pm

jongwinnett wrote:

The crane again. (He wants to replace the hook - what do you think?)

It's a lovely model (the whole layout is brilliant), but I can see where he's coming from with that hook. The real thing had a fairly hefty cast hook, I'd have said. Perhaps you can achieve that by building it up with solder?

??? posted on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:59 pm

file.php?id=20352

file.php?id=20353

file.php?id=20354

Comment posted by nevardmedia on Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:22 pm

A couple of nice little cameos there. You can almost smell the raw fuel in that tank!

Comment posted by Barry Ten on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Abbotsbury the prototype for the station building, by any chance? Lovely layout indeed, as others have noted.

Comment posted by PaulRhB on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:21 pm

Lovely layout, the grass and subtle colouring of the rail is absolutely spot on. I must try harder!

What does he use for grass?

??? posted on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:31 pm

Barry Ten wrote:

Abbotsbury the prototype for the station building, by any chance? Lovely layout indeed, as others have noted.

Yes, or at least a William Clark design. Its a resin kit I picked up at galsgow show about, um, make that, many, years ago

??? posted on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:32 pm

PaulRhB wrote:

Lovely layout, the grass and subtle colouring of the rail is absolutely spot on. I must try harder!

What does he use for grass?

Mainly dyed/painted lint, with some woodland scenics and maybe hanging basket liner. I'll ask him.

Comment posted by MartinWales on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:09 am

Just love those Minerals....... icon_cool.gif icon_wink.gif

Comment posted by Pennine MC on Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:18 am

nevardmedia wrote:

A couple of nice little cameos there. You can almost smell the raw fuel in that tank!

Mmmm. That tanker shot is one of the most innovative I've seen this year, I think (not to mention the quality of the modelling in it). I'm sure your Dad will have no trouble getting this published

by jongwinnett

??? posted on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:21 pm

Pennine MC wrote:

nevardmedia wrote:

Mmmm. That tanker shot is one of the most innovative I've seen this year, I think (not to mention the quality of the modelling in it). I'm sure your Dad will have no trouble getting this published

Thanks for all the kind comments guys - duly pased on. I keep tellign him to send some photos off to the magazines, but he doesn't believe they're good enough. There's no telling some people icon_frustrated.gif

Comment posted by nevardmedia on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:24 pm

jongwinnett wrote:

Thanks for all the kind comments guys - duly pased on. I keep tellign him to send some photos off to the magazines, but he doesn't believe they're good enough. There's no telling some people
icon_frustrated.gif

Several of the magazines (MR/HM/BRM) frequently have a section for reader's layouts and projects - you might be surprised icon_thumbsup2.gif

??? posted on Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:49 am

Crane update: new hook

file.php?id=26383

??? posted on Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:00 pm

file.php?id=34189

Comment posted by Brinkly on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:53 pm

Very nice Jon, the sheeps on the hill look very good! icon_biggrin.gif

Nick

Comment posted by shortliner on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:57 pm

.......and a very neat way of "disappearing" the road!

Comment posted by nevardmedia on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:32 pm

Try to imagine that scene on a cold, windy & wet winter's day... b b b r r r r r r r ...

Comment posted by shortliner on Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:11 pm

....rather like the A838 road onwards from Lairg to Laxford Bridge and on to Durness - or the A 836 road to Altnaharra - really fun in a Landrover on a cold wet day in the winter - I've done that a few times!

file.php?id=34706

Comment posted by Brinkly on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:38 pm

nevardmedia wrote:

Try to imagine that scene on a cold, windy & wet winter's day... b b b r r r r r r r ...

You'll need to take a flask with you when you photograph it Chris! icon_lol.gif

Nick

??? posted on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:49 pm

Thanks guys - I rather liked the desolate feel myself. My Dad used to own a black Standard Vanguard, hence its appearance on't moor

Comment posted by Brinkly on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:56 pm

jongwinnett wrote:

My Dad used to own a black Standard Vanguard, hence its appearance on't moor

That??????????¬???????s nice as it adds a personal touch to a layout, that only you really know about. I shall be buying a Morris Minor van soon, as my late grandfather had one for his carpentry business after he came out of the Paras. icon_biggrin.gif

Nick

Comment posted by British Railways on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:17 pm

This layout looks excellent it's inspirational to me, well done on such a brilliant layout. icon_biggrin.gif

??? posted on Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:31 pm

icon_redface.gif Thank you. I shall tell Dad - he'll be pleased

Comment posted by SouthernRegionSteam on Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:56 pm

sorry only just seen this thread! but look at what i've missed! excellent modelling! really good...

and, can i just say how realistic those shots are, i especially liked the crane wih the new hook shot- very atmospheric cameo icon_clap.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif i really did have to look twice!

cheers,

Jam

??? posted on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:02 pm

A few updates:

file.php?id=39619

file.php?id=39621

file.php?id=39623

file.php?id=39625

file.php?id=39626

Comment posted by Brinkly on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:39 pm

icon_wow.gif

These photos are wonderful, the detail is just amazing. Chagford really must go in a modelling magazine at some point as this level of craftsman ship must be seen by all.

Well done please can we have some more photos! icon_biggrin.gif

Nick

??? posted on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:17 pm

file.php?id=43177

file.php?id=43178

file.php?id=43179

file.php?id=43181

file.php?id=43182

Comment posted by jiffyman on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:36 pm

Agreed about putting it into a magazine, definately!!!

Such a wonderful layout, I hope, once I start one, that mine will be as pleasing to the eye and have such excellent detailing.

I take it though, that this is a 'what might have been' if the line went to Chagford from Moretonhampstead???

I can see it down in that area actually, as I sometimes do work in that area.

All credit to your day and his excellent modelling skil!! LOVE IT, and get it in a mag.............!!!

Comment posted by Anglian on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:51 pm

That last shot with the Morris Woody is great. Its easily good enough for magazine.

Comment posted by nevardmedia on Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:18 pm

Anglian wrote:

That last shot with the Morris Woody is great. Its easily good enough for magazine.

Totally agree, you'll have no problem gettng this in print! It's super icon_clap.gif

??? posted on Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:23 pm

Thanks Guys. I keep nagging at dad, but he says "its not finished".

As i think I've mentioned before, he has inoperable bowel cancer, so I occasionally remind him that tempus fugit....

He'll really appreciate your comments as usual!

??? posted on Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:36 pm

jiffyman wrote:

I take it though, that this is a 'what might have been' if the line went to Chagford from Moretonhampstead???

That's the idea. Glad you like it

??? posted on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:26 pm

file.php?id=46994

file.php?id=46995

file.php?id=46996

file.php?id=46997

file.php?id=46998

file.php?id=46999

file.php?id=47000

file.php?id=47001

file.php?id=47002

file.php?id=47003

Comment posted by westrerner on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:01 pm

Still inspiring me. Go for the mag.

Comment posted by BEN TRUCK on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:09 pm

Lovely work and exquisite modelling , I can,t get near it ,keep us updated

cheers

Brian

by jongwinnett

Comment posted by nevardmedia on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:45 pm

First class modelling and photography as always icon_thumbsup2.gif

??? posted on Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:52 pm

Popped down to see the folks yesterday and managed to sneak a few minutes in Chagford, so my own pics for a change!

file.php?id=50486

file.php?id=50487

file.php?id=50488

file.php?id=50489

Comment posted by Brinkly on Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:22 pm

icon_eek.gif

Wonderful as always Jon.

Nick

Comment posted by rugd1022 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Only just picked up on is wonderful thread (how I missed it I'll never know) just want to say how beautiful the layout looks, each and every detail hits the spot . . . . its like looking through the pages of an Ian Allan colour portfolio on GWR branch lines, a real visual treat icon_wink.gif

Smashing!

Cheers, Nidge

Comment posted by dibateg on Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:13 pm

This is a cracking layout, full of atmosphere. Your father has to be congratulated for creating such a superb model. It is inspirational, and really should be published in one of the magazines.

Regards

??? posted on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:12 pm

Thanks everyone. I have passed your comments on to Terry (Dad!) and he is very pleased/humbled

Comment posted by Brinkly on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:15 pm

jongwinnett wrote:

Thanks everyone. I have passed your comments on to Terry (Dad!) and he is very pleased/humbled

It is a real master in 7mm scale modelling. Just out of interest John how much stock does he have? I have seen a couple of 57xx Tanks.

Nick

??? posted on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:28 pm

Brinkly wrote:

jongwinnett wrote:

It is a real master in 7mm scale modelling. Just out of interest John how much stock does he have? I have seen a couple of 57xx Tanks.

Nick

Just the pair of tanks and a Heljan hymek. He's on a pension y'know icon_lol.gif

I built the first pannier (the round cab) about 12 years ago, he bought the other built, but rejigged it himself. He has a couple of coaches - a JLTRT bset (1 coach only!) and a sytrex suburban, and between us over the years we've built far too many wagons. (Oh and he's rather fond of diecasts too, as may be glimpsed in some of the pics.)

Comment posted by Brinkly on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:43 pm

jongwinnett wrote:

Just the pair of tanks and a Heljan hymek. He's on a pension y'know
icon_lol.gif

I built the first pannier (the round cab) about 12 years ago, he bought the other built, but rejigged it himself. He has a couple of coaches - a JLTRT bset (1 coach only!) and a sytrex suburban, and between us over the years we've built far too many wagons. (Oh and he's rather fond of diecasts too, as may be glimpsed in some of the pics.)

Cheers Jon prototypically its bang on then for motive power! icon_wink.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Nick

??? posted on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:29 pm

Yes, a 14xx or Prairie might be nice, but don't come cheap, in either time or money. Mind you, his chemo is holding the big C at bay for now so the time thing hasn't been too much of an issue! icon_cool.gif

He reads this occasionally so I hope i don't get in the bad books for mentioning the cancer.

Oops I've done it again.... icon_redface.gif

Comment posted by mines a pint on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:56 pm

Superb as always! -love the rail level pics! icon_thumbsup2.gif

Comment posted by josh993 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:01 pm

Keep the pics coming icon_mrgreen.gif

??? posted on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:58 am

At last I've bullied him into taking some more pics. A taster for now - more later when I get time to upload

file.php?id=90444

??? posted on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:27 pm

file.php?id=90445

file.php?id=90446

file.php?id=90447

file.php?id=90448

file.php?id=90449

file.php?id=90450

file.php?id=90451

file.php?id=90452

file.php?id=90453

file.php?id=90454

file.php?id=90455

Comment posted by Brinkly on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:42 pm

Stunning work Jon as ever. How big is the layout?

Nick

Comment posted by steve fay on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:43 pm

Fantastic layout, icon_clap.gif is the station building and goods shed from invertrain? I m thinking o getting one icon_biggrin.gif

Steve

??? posted on Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi.

The layout is about 16ft by about 3 at its deepest point. Imagine a 16*8 box, the front of the layout describes an (uneven) arc from front corner to front corner. So when you sit or stand at the controls (by the station) the layout curves away behind you at both ends.

And yes, I think the station is Invertrain. I bought it but so long ago I can't honestly remember. Abbotsbury branch I imagine? Not sure about the goods shed - might be scratch or kitbashed - I'm not sure so I'll ask.

??? posted on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:02 pm

file.php?id=91223

file.php?id=91224

file.php?id=91225

file.php?id=91226

file.php?id=91227

file.php?id=91228

file.php?id=91229

file.php?id=91230

file.php?id=91231

file.php?id=91232

file.php?id=91233

file.php?id=91234

Comment posted by josh993 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:44 am

Looks Absoulouty fantastic well done Jon,

I must say looking at this it makes 0 gauge lookn very tempting icon_rolleyes.gif

Comment posted by Brinkly on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:50 am

josh993 wrote:

I must say looking at this it makes 0 gauge look very tempting
icon_rolleyes.gif

Since joing RMWeb and seeing Onslaughts (Phil of this Parish) layout and workbench, coupled with Chagford O gauge to me has become more appealing. I just currently lack the space for a major project.

My own layout that I am planning to build in P4 will come in at around 16 - 20ft by about 8ft, so if this was constructed in O gauge I would need double that amount of space! However a terminus in a shed, running round the garden is looking very tempting. icon_tongue.gif

Nick

??? posted on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:59 pm

josh993 wrote:

Looks Absoulouty fantastic well done Jon,

Any merit is my Dad's not mine, but thanks for the kind comments

Comment posted by Jack on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:23 pm

This is a very inspirational layout, keep the piccies coming. icon_cool.gif

Comment posted by Anglian on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:38 pm

I love the restraint shown coupled with great observation and modeling. A wonderful layout and one that shows, to my way of thinking at least, that a smaller layout concept executed really extremely well can convey bucket loads of atmosphere.

??? posted on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:12 pm

Some behind the scenes shots, showing the rotating fiddleyard:

file.php?id=97879

file.php?id=97880

file.php?id=97881

Comment posted by -missy- on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:28 pm

Hi icon_biggrin.gif

This is a fantasic layout. Now if I could make anything like this I would be a VERY happy person. Love everything about it, its exactly what I love in a layout. Great work.

Missy icon_biggrin.gif

by jongwinnett

??? posted on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:42 pm

Cheers- Highclere is pretty inspirational too!

??? posted on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:42 pm

Dad's latest project:

file.php?id=106521

file.php?id=106522

file.php?id=106523

file.php?id=106524

file.php?id=106525

file.php?id=106526

file.php?id=106527

file.php?id=106529

file.php?id=106530

file.php?id=106531

??? posted on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:46 pm

file.php?id=106532

file.php?id=106533

Dad did his apprenticeship at Lansing Bagnall and worked there for 30 some years.This toy forklift will hopefully end up as a representative 50s/60s model.

A couple of other shots as well

file.php?id=106534

file.php?id=106535

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I need to think about disposing of Chagford. Its currently located in east Cumbria - does anyone know if there are any clubs or individuals in the area who might want an O gauge layout?

I've no idea what value if any, a layout such as this might have. Its designed to be "removable" but I suspect doing so would entail at the very least some cosmetic damage.

Mum and I would be keen for it to "go to a good home" if possible - the thought of carting it to the tip is pretty depressing!

The stock will be sold I expect - again, anyone interested feel free to Pm me.

Jon

I need to think about disposing of Chagford. Its currently located in east Cumbria - does anyone know if there are any clubs or individuals in the area who might want an O gauge layout?

I've no idea what value if any, a layout such as this might have. Its designed to be "removable" but I suspect doing so would entail at the very least some cosmetic damage.

Mum and I would be keen for it to "go to a good home" if possible - the thought of carting it to the tip is pretty depressing!

The stock will be sold I expect - again, anyone interested feel free to Pm me.

Jon

Jon

Sad that you will have to dispose of such an inspiring layout, which presumably you are unable to take yourself.

There are two "local" Gauge 0 Guild groups to you - Carlisle and Preston. Carlisle is at http://www.cdogg.org/ and Preston at http://www.prestonogauge.org.uk/

who may be able to help you. Alternatively if you are or your late father was a member of the guild, they have a very good executor and trustee service (more aimed at stock than layouts perhaps)

UK model shops lists 7 clubs (including the Carlisle 0 gauge group) at http://www.ukmodelsh...y/clubs/Cumbria but not all of them will have 0 gauge sections

Hope this helps

Jon

Sad that you will have to dispose of such an inspiring layout, which presumably you are unable to take yourself.

There are two "local" Gauge 0 Guild groups to you - Carlisle and Preston. Carlisle is at http://www.cdogg.org/ and Preston at http://www.prestonogauge.org.uk/

who may be able to help you. Alternatively if you are or your late father was a member of the guild, they have a very good executor and trustee service (more aimed at stock than layouts perhaps)

UK model shops lists 7 clubs (including the Carlisle 0 gauge group) at http://www.ukmodelsh...y/clubs/Cumbria but not all of them will have 0 gauge sections

Hope this helps

Thanks Paul

Yes, sadly I don't have enough room to take the layout or the bulk of the stock.

Jon

• 1 month later...

Some good news. It looks like Chagford may find a permenant home at Kirkby Stephen East, home of the Stainmore Railway. I think Dad would have been proud (and possibly overwhelmed).

When any details are settled I'll let you know.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Some good news. It looks like Chagford may find a permenant home at Kirkby Stephen East, home of the Stainmore Railway. I think Dad would have been proud (and possibly overwhelmed).

When any details are settled I'll let you know.

Jon

That's excellant news Jon, I will definately make an effort to see the layout once the move is confirmed.

"...the story of Chagford has come to a premature close..."

No, Jon, it hasn't. This layout will live on in the minds and hearts of people who've viewed and marvelled at it through this website. I only discovered it today and found myself totally captivated like many of the posts have expressed. I only clicked on it at first to see the backscene; ended up viewing every single aspect - including the sheep and tufts of grass! There's many people we modellers refer to for our inspiration, even if only in our minds; we ponder - 'how would so and so model this?', etc. That sort of thing. We'll now also have cause to stand back at our better efforts and hopefully think, 'Hmm, that's like Terry would do it.'

And, of course, we all owe you personally a debt of gratitude for bringing this beautiful piece of modelling to a wider and most appreciative modelling public. On behalf of us all, Thanks Jon.

As another GW modeller (who's only just caught up with this thread) I hope that the pain of losing your Dad is getting more bearable. And that his layout is going where others can appreciate it is both a tribute to his skill and his memory.

I've just been going through the photos again - I caught myself identifying views from my childhood.

It is great to know that Chagford has found a new home . In my eyes it is one of the great layouts - up there with the very best such as Buckingham and Berrow .

On a personal level it has been a great source of inspiration and encouragement as suffering from the same medical problem as your Dad , with the same prognosis, on a number of occasions when feeling down it has restored my spirits looking at the photos as although in a different scale my interest in the subject matter is very similar.

So thank you for sharing it with us.

Looks like I need to start pushing the Wife towards the idea of a holiday near the Yorkshire Dales for 2011 (It looks like Chagford may find a permenant home at Kirkby Stephen East, home of the Stainmore Railway).

Jon I have enjoyed following this great peice of modelling and belated condolences to you and your family.

I feel you won't mind if I also wish "Wheeltapper" all the very best in his dispute with this illness. All I do know is that being positive helps with any illness,although that is not always easy.

Kind Regards,Derek.

Afternoon everybody.

Is good to finally "log-in" here. I'm Jon's younger (and slightly less bald!) brother. Obviously Jon has shown me previously some of the interest (and amazing comments) my Fathers layout has caused, but it's only today that I've finally got myself on here to read the full "story".

My hobbies are in different areas (mainly cars and drums!), so although from a very young age I have totally appreciated my Dads skills in this area, I never really realised just how far-reaching his amazing railway has become. Its hard to put into words how much I/we appreciate all the kind words and comments, and its really great to know that the layout will be going to a place where other people can come and see it. It wouldn't have seemed right if it had not been kept as it is, a fitting memorial to our father.

As my brother says..... I never thought a website would reduce me to tears... but this one has.

Thank you.

Like others Jon, I've not kept as up to date with this as I should have. I'm sorry to hear about your news and that I've not mentioned it sooner. The layout is indeed a fine epitaph to your Dad, I'm sure it's going to a good home will be a source of comfort to you and Chris.

Archived