Rich's de-stress project

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This took a while - but I'm reasonably happy with the lining up of them - 1 is very slightly high but hopefully not really noticeable. Medium knobs were a little short, long ones too long so I went for mediums.

post-31681-0-14021900-1541495001_thumb.jpg

post-31681-0-94041800-1541495009_thumb.jpg

The smokebox is now permanently on the boiler. Getting there...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Amazingly this is only the second attempt at bending the handrail. I tried nickel silver wire for the first one but it was too springy for me. The front right hand knob has popped hence it sticking out a bit that side - need to remove some of the tension and re-solder as well as the front top one.

post-31681-0-13627200-1541524643_thumb.jpg

Quite pleased with it assuming I can tweak the last bit of shape without wrecking it.

• Like 2

Amazingly this is only the second attempt at bending the handrail. I tried nickel silver wire for the first one but it was too springy for me. The front right hand knob has popped hence it sticking out a bit that side - need to remove some of the tension and re-solder as well as the front top one.

attachicon.gifIMG_20181106_171448.jpg

Quite pleased with it assuming I can tweak the last bit of shape without wrecking it.

Nicely done! Took me ages and many attempts before I got mine right.....

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't call it right - but I'm going to stick with it as I'm not sure I could improve on it. Loose knob now soldered back on (It's a shame I can't access the rear to solder it that way), front knob soldered in and a little bit of tweaking done.

post-31681-0-48184400-1541582321_thumb.jpg

post-31681-0-64140500-1541582333_thumb.jpg

post-31681-0-66064700-1541582343_thumb.jpg

I'll do a tiny bit of straightening when the boiler is permanently attached to the body.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nicely done! Took me ages and many attempts before I got mine right.....

You're working in 7mm - so wire twice the thickness? I would think that's a lot harder to create curves etc. - I just pulled it round a handy round thing slightly undersize :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Picked up one of Guy Rixon's new buffer setting jigs - Looks to be a great way of setting them evenly :) The proper length is 20" but I'm thinking of using 21" to give a tiny bit more spring that shouldn't be noticable.

post-31681-0-96022600-1541589720_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the support folks :)

Mostly back to where it was - I can still see a slight curvature of the plate at the front splasher. Will keep working on that, and hopefully that should clear the couple of thou rock.

As for why I dropped it - my fault - was soldering the boiler to the rest of the body and it got too ruddy hot. Fortunately I managed to "steer" the drop so it was the right way up. I think if it landed upside down serious damage would have happened.

post-31681-0-20643900-1543498587_thumb.jpg

I've slathered loads of solder on to try and get the boiler solidly attached - LOADS of cleaning up to do now!

Meanwhile I've been converting the wakefield lubricator from the kit into a pedestal one. Drilled and soldered some 1.5mm brass in the base, and have slid some 2mm brass tube over that. Just need something to make the fixing bracket where it attaches to the raised lip behind the splasher.

post-31681-0-12910700-1543498598_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Work has been manic and now I'm not in until next year so no modelling done for a while now :(

Happy Christmas and New Year everyone - thank you all for your tips, guidance and support. Will 2019 be the year I actually finish something? ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nothing much to report at present - I've been doing the odd but of attempting to clean up the excess solder after reinforcing the boiler fixing. Very itchy from scratch brush bits!

I happened across a signalling diagram for the Shenfield 1933 resignalling. I've been half-heartedly looking for one for a while. Dang there's a lot of signals in the Shenfield area - ~40 primaries (for want of a better word) and a similar number of shunt, calling on etc. The primaries are an expected mix of 2, 3 and 4 aspect Searchlights, the shunt etc. seem to be a mix of rotating disc and miniature semaphore. I assume (without having access to an earlier diagram), that the miniature semaphores were in place already - e.g. 6 and 7 on the below pic, and the disc were new with the searchlights - any thoughts on that (I guess I should be posting this in the signalling section...). I also believe that the strange shape on the bottom of some posts signifies a telephone (red oval on the below)?

post-31681-0-35311500-1547373231_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe a daft question from someone who knows nowhere near enough about loco anatomy, but are they meant to be attached to the boiler? If everything is straight and square, then there should be no reason for it to pull away from the joint surely? Is it pulling my away after the solder has cooled?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m rubbish at soldering but could it be under tension from the footplate? Are you clamping the tank to take up the gap then releasing the clamp and it comes apart. If so maybe release the tank from the footplate and see if it still happens.

I’m probably wide of the mark and certainly out of my depth but two heads are better than one they say!

nice work  by the way.

Cheers 

Ade 

Edited by AdeMoore
  • Thanks 1

On the LNWR (I am not sure about other designs) the tanks were bolted to brackets on the boiler. These passed through the boiler cladding. There would probably be a small gap between tank and boiler.  On models I don't bother to  attach the tanks to the boiler (usually because I prefer to make the boiler unit removable for painting and lining) . Soldering the tanks to the footplate and cab front provides a sufficiently rigid and strong assembly, so I would suggest leaving it at that.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all - I'm trying to remember how close it was before I dropped it - I am thinking it may not quite be in line from that perhaps? There is no inside wall to the tanks (not sure if more modern kits have a full box for side tanks?) so i was hoping to have it attached to the boiler for strength.

I think (when I've had a good night's sleep) I'll see if I can get it to sit a bit more straight without the support.

Thanks again, the support from people on the forum is great :)