NSE loco hauled London - Kings Lynn trains

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

As stated in another thread, I've recently bought Bachmann's Graham Farish "Capital Connection" set because I liked it but I wondered what other coaching stock would be needed to make up a full rake.  What was the average number of passenger coaches used on these services and were they usually made up of early Mk II's or a mix and match of both Mk I's and II's?

Julian Sprott

By NSE days they were all MkII, I presumes those displaced from the Norwich line when the AC stock arrived, displaced the last MkI stock. Can't say the make up but Flickr suggests they were 8/9 car sets so I'd guess at TSOx4/5, FK/ FOx3 and a BFO or BSO. None of the NSE era pics show Mk1s but the later ones are AC MkIIs in Inter City livery.

• RMweb Gold

By NSE days they were all MkII, I presumes those displaced from the Norwich line when the AC stock arrived, displaced the last MkI stock. Can't say the make up but Flickr suggests they were 8/9 car sets so I'd guess at TSOx4/5, FK/ FOx3 and a BFO or BSO. None of the NSE era pics show Mk1s but the later ones are AC MkIIs in Inter City livery.

The Farish set has a Mk I buffet included and I was wondering if buffet's were regular in these sets.

Julian Sprott

• 2 years later...

This might help. Great sequence of train arriving, then backing up to run round.

MK2A coaches, a MK1 RBR and a class 47 576(called Kings Lynn at Kings Lynn!!) all in NSE livery.

looks like:

47,TSO, TSO, TSO, FK, BSK, RBR or RMB, TSO, TSO, TSO

going north to Kings Lynn from London

Edited by muddy water
More information
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

8-9 coach rakes is correct.  All earlier Mk2 types except for the Mk1 catering vehicles, either RBR or RMB.  NSE also rolled out The Fenman headboard on special occasions and had it attached to a Kings Lynn - Liverpool St and return working.  

Go back a few years and Liverpool Street might have witnessed a Gresley buffet amid Mk1 stock (E9131E which was usually in the Harwich- Manchester boat-train set but did stray) while the Kings Cross - Cambridge "Buffet Bar Express" services were the final stamping ground of the Thompson buffets in BR service.

• Informative/Useful 1

All the Kings Lyn stock in 1989/90 was Vac Braked. All Mk2 except for the MK1 RMB. For most of this period there were daytime possessions north of Ely North junction for the preparation for electrification. To fit in with this there were some shuttle working north of Cambridge which resulted in some occasional shorter rakes (5 or 6 coaches as opposed to 8).  To expand the set you could get the stand-alone Farish NSE Mk2 FK and a couple of TSO, however, they have a slightly different NSE livery to those in the train pack. As seen in the first linked video you can run them with some blue grey Mk2 as well to replicate the transition period.

• Like 1

Useful video showing the formations here.

Can't find it now of course, but out there somewhere is a class 47 cab ride video along the whole route on one of these services, and in the bits south of Cambridge there are some very elusive shots of intercity class 86s on the NSE coaches.

• Like 1