Would you pay £156 for one photo slide of a 2-EPB ?

phil gollin

Well, who (2 at least) would bid over £150 for a simple black and white slide of a 2-EPB !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-Railway-Larger-Negative-Class-416-2EPB-Car-5763-1950s-60s-/162522021137?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Zy4VTpZgpLSIxdBmErAYIPX6tSY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I was vaguely interested because I used to live near Mitcham station and the shot shows an ordinary 2-EPB on a West Croydon bound service approaching Mitcham past a still operational (??) Mitcham Goods Yard, so is probably in the region of 1953 to 1955 ?????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-Railway-Larger-Negative-Class-416-2EPB-Car-5763-1950s-60s-/162522021137?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Zy4VTpZgpLSIxdBmErAYIPX6tSY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It just seems odd that this slide is so valuable.  Am I missing some odd detail ?   I know that Mitcham Goods Yard is rather camera shy, although there are 3 or 4 poor quality aerial views and the West Croydon to Wimbledon line also is one of the less well covered lines (although fascinating)

Any ideas ?

The "value" is entirely a personal thing but you must ask yourself can the same picture be taken again and how common are they?

Now ask yourself why you did not take similar pictures yourself, because it was so commonplace that you ignored it!

The same can be said for an Old Master or a Picasso!

Houses suffer from the same they are worth nothing till someone buys them!

However the value of your investment can go up as well as down!

Mark Saunders

There must be some personal significance or value to the two bidders who took it from £51 to £151 in two bids. No railway publisher would be likely to place that kind of value on a photograph, how ever many publications he thought he could use it in. Fascinating, though.  (CJL)

It could be that I am rather cynical but could it seem a bit "smelly"!?

No nothing suspicious as it all depends on the maximum bid placed on it!

All is a bid showing £51 followed by a max bid of £150 then someone outbids it!

If you really want something bid high! 

Play

it does seem high. If, as I do quite often search out photos for something I am planning, then I save any interesting photos to my computer, for my own personal use. Watermarks can be ignored easily, and don't usually block anything important. This photo saves as a good size. Not sure why I would want it, but I always find it better to save something when i see it, just in case.

Given the houses in background, I wonder if it is someone(or two people) with a connection. Maybe a family member who lived there. Sometimes personal memories can be very valuable. f it was somthing about my family , I might be tempted if there were not many photos around.

No.

But, if anyone has money to burn, I have got slides of 2-EPBs on that very line, that I took in the 70s ......

Kevin

If you are that convinced of their potential value put them up or sale!

Good quality Colour Slides can/may command a good price but remember to sell the copyright!

Mark Saunders

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to be a sentimental whinge.

Prices seem to have gone crazy over the last few years.  I have bought negatives and transparencies on Ebay for over 15 years and remember the time when few fetched over 50p, and DMU/EMU images struggled to reach that price.

Now, a boring view of a banger blue 47 (of which there must be millions in collections around the UK) can go for £6 without any problems, and there are sellers who start all their images at £3.99 even if they are only 10-15 years old, the images not necessarily the sellers ( I do not buy from these people on principle that if they are too greedy to start an auction at 99p and risk the image selling for that price, then they do not deserve to sell any - but that is just my warped personal view).

The fact that there is no mention of copyright on the seller page is even more surprising that it fetched £150+; but if sentimental value is included then the sky is often the limit for the buyer. For instance, a year or so back a colour view of 61177 leaving Colwick Yard towing cosmetically restored 6100 on its way to Butlins at Skegness appeared for sale. Because my Dad and I saw this ensemble pass our back garden one evening in 1963, and Dad (not having a clue as to what was going on) got the car out and we caught the train up between Swineshead and Hubberts Bridge where the railway runs parallel to the road, and this was the first colour image of the event east of Nottingham that I had seen for sale, I just had to have it - and would have been prepared to pay a 3-figure sum for it.

As it turned out, there was hardly any bidding and it is now in my collection. I had a large framed print made and gave it to my Dad as a present. I think he was quite shocked as he often recalls the event, but I don't think he ever thought he would see a colour photo of it, let alone own one.

What price nostalgia?

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 2

I can see where the worth is in that photograph. It's the fact that's it's a good clear view, particularly of the roof details which are very rare to find due to most photographs being taken from a lower angle. Having got a DC Kits EPB to build that photgraph is actually extremely useful.

I would guess this is a person who is an expert and possibly writes books on EMUs rather than a casual purchaser.

Jason

The market has got more expensive recently. I bid for some Class 74 pictures with a view to using them in my forthcoming book on them, but when the bidding got over about £30 i walked away. One went for about £120. As people have said value is what someone will pay especially where copyright is included.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this might be interesting, the same seller is selling another negative, again from  the West Croydon/Wimbledon line, this time just along from the previous one - I assume at near enough the same time (?).  This one is a West Croydon bound service having just left Morden Road Halt and just about to pass the Tri-ang factory.

It will be interesting to see whether this goes for £10 or £150.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-Railway-Larger-Negative-Electric-Multiple-Unit-2EPB-5774-1950s-/162565955443?hash=item25d9af9f73:g:mLUAAOSwCkZZT6va

Well, this might be interesting, the same seller is selling another negative, again from  the West Croydon/Wimbledon line, this time just along from the previous one - I assume at near enough the same time (?).  This one is a West Croydon bound service having just left Morden Road Halt and just about to pass the Tri-ang factory.

It will be interesting to see whether this goes for £10 or £150.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BR-Railway-Larger-Negative-Electric-Multiple-Unit-2EPB-5774-1950s-/162565955443?hash=item25d9af9f73:g:mLUAAOSwCkZZT6va

Not as much with such a big shadow on it, value reduced!

Mark Saunders