Bashing a Cemflo / LA / Silver Queen

There's a very good thread about the real Cemflos in the Prototype Discussion section:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107721-cemflos-cliffe-uddingston-flow-silver-queens/page-1

In it I posted a bit about an N gauge Cemflo wagon I was bashing but I thought that it would be best to continue it here rather than add modelling confusion to a prototype thread. It's been slow progress fitting it in with other projects. To date I've knocked up the basic body and have decided to use a 15ft Peco chassis, which while not fully accurate does at least have a form of double link suspension. I'm going to file the hand brake lever flat and hopefully any remnants should be hidden behind the sole-bar strengthening fillets/gussets. Not sure how I'll make them but perhaps thin etched brass/nickel silver. This was the first pic:

080705.jpg

Here is a little more work on it:

143726.jpg

G.

• Like 3

I've test cut and fitted the chassis sole-bar strengthening gussets from thin plasticard on one side. No too bad but I'll need to get better at drilling holes in a straight line if I decide that's the way to go. Time to contemplate:

095430.jpg

G.

• Like 2

Yep, already been thinking and making enquiries for getting an etch (nickel silver as they seem finer) done to include the sole-bar strengthening fillets and the catwalk.

First I need to test that I can resin cast the body to which I've now added the last bit of detail - the catwalk supports - and have been preparing it for making the mould.

G.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a little to report on progress with this project.

First I produced a silicon rubber mould (although the chemicals were well past their use by date and had become very thick). Nonetheless a mould of sorts was evenually produced from the master:

171716.jpg

I think I'll need to make some more moulds with fresh chemicals so I ordered a starter set which included casting resin. This afternoon I mixed up a little and test cast a Cemflo body from the first mould (new ones are yet to be made). And the result appears to be very acceptable. I did overfill the mould so that there was a thick 'foot' that I've tried to pare away (but managed to damage one end although being a test I wasn't concerned. With a quick blast of primer here is what it looks like:

173346.jpg

I was pleased that the mould was flexible enough to remove the casting despite some undercut details which I was concerned about. I'm also quite impressed that the thinish support 'fins' at the bottom of each side survived and were nicely formed. It means I can progress with making a proper mould and producing some casting. And can draw up and arrange the etching of the sole-bar strengthening fillets/gussets and the catwalk. I might get a rake of Cemflos completed by the end of the year.

G.

• Like 5

Just a little more progress today. I noticed that I'd missed the small control box on the lower left sides so added them to the master and prepared it to make a new mould using the fresh chemicals. I also made masters of the end chassis mounted cylinders (at one end) and the underframe discharge nozzle assembly. These were also made up in to a mould.

I now have two moulds full of the pink silicon rubber curing and drying. Fingers crossed they turn out fine when they are ready tomorrow:

143927.jpg

G

• Like 3

And, nearly forgot, the pipework added from lengths of bend wire:

165918.jpg

Obviously it's not complete (couplings, catwalk, etc.,) but I'm quite pleased that it's starting to look like a N/2mm Cemflo wagon. Once I manage to arrange the etch I'll be able to put together a rake of them.

G.

• Like 2

Shame you don't model in a proper scale :jester: .

Mike.

I couldn't possibly prostitute myself on something 'Oribly Oversize. Best to stick with something suitable.

:-)

G.

Today: A little bit of resin casting in a little scale - thankfully. And fitted in with all the other usual Sunday chores.

181731.jpg

Just like little white chocolate truffles all lined up and with another currently curing.

G.

• Like 5

I've now cast a number of the bodies and fittings (although I was out yesterday):

160758.jpg

What I need to arrange now is a thin etch for the sole-bar strengthening fillets/gussets and the catwalk to fit on the supports between the fillers. I was hoping to piggyback on someone's experience and work by having a test etch added to their next etch. Feelers are currently out with the 2mm scale brigade but apparently no-one seems to have much going on at the moment although I've had some good feedback.

Nonetheless I've sketched up a drawing of what I need - it's sufficient for one wagon; four sole-bar fillets (with the holes in) and one tank top catwalk. It’s fairly small, as you can see from the scale, so hopefully a few can be fitted on to any spare space on someone's forthcoming etch as a test.  I'd rather get a test etch produced to confirm it works. Even when ready for production, I doubt that I'd need a complete sheet to produced sufficient to make up a small rake, so sharing space on a sheet (which I understand is often done) is a good alternative. I’ve no idea of who to use although I’m happy to pay my share.

062819.jpg

If anyone is able to help out with the etching I'd be grateful for any advise and/or assistance in getting it done.

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

• Like 2