Kato P42 Help

SebEIRR

Okay some new stock arriving today from Japan for the layout in the form of an Amtrak unit however upon testing this doesnt seem to work, keeps slipping to a standstill which doesnt fill me with confidence, especially with the weight of it, its very heavy!! 
If anyone has any ideas to help me or if you have had any issues with P42 from Kato then let me know....

Pictures for reference. 

Adiecastmetalweightrunsalongthelengthoft

Eachtruckfeaturesacorelessmotorwithaflyw

Pictures of the inside so if anyone can see what I should be taking off to check or anything like that please let me know.... Really gutted about this as its something ive been looking forward to and now it isnt work is a little depressing! Have checked all the wheels and given them a clean and all the brass seems to be the same! So no idea...   <_<

I've got the choice now of sending back to Japan where I got it from for a manufacturer job, but would rather not as would like to use this for a show for my new layout, Wapello Creek, which should be getting admin moved into the correct area of the forum shortly! 

I hope some of you guys can pass on some advice for me or help. 

I would suggest that a possible explanation is that either power is getting lost to one truck or there is a mechanical issue with one of trucks causing it to jam up. The additional drag causes the other to slip.

John

I would suggest that a possible explanation is that either power is getting lost to one truck or there is a mechanical issue with one of trucks causing it to jam up. The additional drag causes the other to slip.

John

What would i check to make sure this isnt the case? 

Seb

Not sure of the exact electrical setup using those contact strips, but whilst they may well be clean and bright, are they all making contact?

Also there must be contact between wheels and some contact strip is that all OK?

As for the actual slipping can you see enough of the wheels to see if all eight or just one set of four are slipping?

John

Thats what ive done, running each truck separately, but the problem child seems to be the rear truck, ive taken it all apart make sure the contacts on the base are OK and on the trucks changed the shape of one and scrubbed with a small fibre brush the other, so far so good.... Going for a test run now on the garage layout and hoping...

Result! That seems to have done something to it, had it running around the layout for a good few "loops" and it didn't stall once, so successful, placing some stock on now to see if weight changes anything...   :danced:

• Like 1