Passengers in Coaches ? Where are the 1:1 photo's

I've looked into some drawings, photo's etc., and have determined how I think my seats need to be fitted.
The only problem is from the floor to the front/top of the seat is 5mm, there are going to be a lot of 2mmm long leg amputations....but it does bring the head to approx the right place.

I've got carriages with passengers in already, but I've felt they don't look right and as I'm assembling eleven coaches for two set trains which will be under close scrutiny, I thought I ought to get it near right....

I've used the Ratio seating, and in photo #1 It's here with a revised pattern.  Also a coach panel so the relationship to the window openings can be seen.

post-6979-0-58410000-1496757449.jpg

Photo #2 shows the Ratio seat against the partition, nothing changed on the Ratio seat.

post-6979-0-07287300-1496757452.jpg

Photo 3 shows the revised seating, I've filed down the (vertical) back to within a whisker of it's life, so the vertical seat squab sits uptight to the partition, the base seat has been cut vertically at the point it meets the vertical seat squab.  

The two red lines show approx., where the top and bottom of the glazing is.
I've then removed 1mm from the foot of the seat base, so the seat sits closer to the floor.

The back was/is glued to the partition, with the top of the headrest at a marked line, then the seat glued in place, I was surprised the seat front didn't come any further forward.

The pictures (shades of grey for 3rd Class passengers) are some artwork I have prepared to complete the interiors.

post-6979-0-27711600-1496757447.jpg

Of course these are just rough material sketches, but it allows me to determine where I'm going - doooo-laly.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As r-t-r manufacturers are now including passengers in some coaches, what can be learnt from their methods? Can anyone supply photos from the side and with the lid off? Are those coaches structurally different from previous versions without people, to allow for full length legs? I am just curious as to whether the seating has been generally a one-size-fits-all cosmetic job or whether they have been tailor-made for each coach diagram. I guess the model manufacturers have been doing a better job of matching seats to windows, than some of the 12"/1ft builders, but the seat profile may have been less accurate - possibly. My 50 year-old Triang clerestorey SDJR conversions have cardboard compartment divisions and balsa block seats. Possibly these were the prototype for some of the seats in the new Thameslink 700s - although balsa might offer a softer seat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Coming back to my Cambrian coach drawing, I've just measured the height of the top of my shoulder above the seat squab I'm sitting on, and it comes out at 1'10". Subtract the Cambrian squab to window base amount of 1'2.5", and one ends up with the top of the shoulder about 7.5" above the window sill.

That seems reasonable to me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So posted images in GW stock previously - heres Mk1 BSK, Pierre plus Plato hound at Pontypool and Blaenavon on Saturday

post-7138-0-21822900-1498429503_thumb.jpg

D5627 was running, that must be the sweetest sounding 31 around at the moment...

post-7138-0-80766400-1498429472_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am away from my library at present but I am pretty sure the book of Mike Lloyd/Trefor Jones drawings of Rhymney stock includes cross sections of compartments showing the seat squabs and backs. Certainly the equivalent Barry drawings book will do so but you will have to wait until the autumn for that.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fascinating stuff, and I am grateful to learn of some of these authors; some trails to follow up there.

I believe some "Thrilling stories of the Railways" were dramatized on BBC radio.

Yes - in short (15 minute?) episodes.

Rather fun.