Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Exhibition layout riders

I wonder if anyone had come across any layouts for exhibitions that have any unusual riders on there info sheets. I have not come across anything too weird, normally good accommodation, tea coffee etc, but it crossed my mind that someone may have written or requested something odd like smarties in the accommodation in a bowel with the blue ones taken out!

David  

• RMweb Gold

No but seen some over egged expenses claims - not sure four Mars bars bought/eaten on way to the show really counts as a legitimate meal expense!

No but seen some over egged expenses claims - not sure four Mars bars bought/eaten on way to the show really counts as a legitimate meal expense!

If it's good enough for our Peers and MPs then it's good enough for us.

TFIC.

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Gold

If it's good enough for our Peers and MPs then it's good enough for us.

It depends - do those Mars bars have to come from John Lewis Waitrose?*

* When the parliamentary expenses scandal hit the headlines, there was a lot of fuss about second homes and the "John Lewis list". A number of MPs, from various parties, were implicated - some were "invited" to pay back some of their expenses - while others were "invited" to check into the "iron bar hotel", for an extended holiday "at Her Majesty's pleasure".

Joking aside, I could see Mars bars being legitimate for a number of people - especially if they have certain medical conditions (diabetes?).

Huw.

At the one show of any size I managed, we did have a condition from layout x that they were not adjacent to layout y (both were fairly well known layouts in the day - 1995). Evidently the two clubs were at permanent loggerheads and although both knew the other was coming, we didn't get a reciprocal request from the builders of layout y!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It depends - do those Mars bars have to come from John Lewis Waitrose?*

* When the parliamentary expenses scandal hit the headlines, there was a lot of fuss about second homes and the "John Lewis list". A number of MPs, from various parties, were implicated - some were "invited" to pay back some of their expenses - while others were "invited" to check into the "iron bar hotel", for an extended holiday "at Her Majesty's pleasure".

Joking aside, I could see Mars bars being legitimate for a number of people - especially if they have certain medical conditions (diabetes?).

Huw.

DefinItely NOT diabetes, that requires trying to go for a low sugar diet.

• RMweb Gold

Any weird riders would normally be read as "Don't invite me to your show as I'll be a pain in the backside all weekend with stupid whiney demands".

I guess that means my, perfectly reasonable, requests - for a piece of carpet, a snooker cue and a cask of Hoegaarden - would be declined if I ever built an exhibitable layout.

After all, there are completely legitimate reasons for all of these:

* The carpet would be to stop my feet hurting after 8 hours of standing behind a layout (or table).

* The snooker cue would be useful when "explaining" technical points about wiring to people who don't like listening.

* As for the Hoegaarden, this might come in very useful after dealing with some of these "comedians".

Seriously though, I've never been "inside the barriers" at any show - and I'm not expecting this to change any time soon. Even if this were to happen, I'd go out of my way to be reasonable with my requests - and completely honest with any claims, which would be detailed.

Saying that, I'm not expecting this to be put to the test any time soon.

Huw.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I could see Mars bars being legitimate for a number of people - especially if they have certain medical conditions (diabetes?).

Huw.

If the diabetics I know are anything to go by, it's actually a bit more nuanced than that. Apart from there being a number of different forms of diabetes, I understand that a key issue here is the body not always being able to correctly regulate blood sugar levels.

As you say, the problem is often too much sugar. Sometimes, however, the problem might actually be too little sugar - which is why a number of diabetics have sometimes been known to have glucose tablets (or Lucozade) with them, for a quick sugar boost.

Huw.

Had a couple of unusual requests in my 'career' (now well over) as an exhibition manager:-

One was a request for reimbursement for 'wear and tear' on the layout. (declined as not being notified before the show)

Another was similar to Rangers as above, from 'x' please don't put me next to 'y'. Reasons were given and understood and I didn't put them close.

'Over-egged' expenses, as John New says above, were always one to watch out for, as were requests for excessive numbers of operators (usually very rare). OK a couple or so of extra lunches was not really a major issue, but if that translated into o'night accomodation that was a different story. Usually resolved by a phone call.

All in all though, almost all requests were very fair and reasonable, for example veggie lunches, never had a request for vegan tho'. Most operators being satisfied with fuel costs (often understated), maybe van hire, a lunch and 'ad-lib' tea and coffee. Overnight stays were on a B&B basis with the evening meal being at the exhibitors expense.

Had enormous fun with the shows and made some longstanding friendships, (longer than some of us really care to remember). A fondly remembered period.

John

• Like 4

If the diabetics I know are anything to go by, it's actually a bit more nuanced than that. Apart from there being a number of different forms of diabetes, I understand that a key issue here is the body not always being able to correctly regulate blood sugar levels.

As you say, the problem is often too much sugar. Sometimes, however, the problem might actually be too little sugar - which is why a number of diabetics have sometimes been known to have glucose tablets (or Lucozade) with them, for a quick sugar boost.

Huw.

Type 1 diebetics do need emergency sugar supplies, but Mars Bars aren't great for that as the carbs are released too slowly.

BTW, any type 1s reading this who use Lucosade for emergencies, check the dietary information. They've recently lowered the sugar content in the normal (non-diet) version and it now isn't nearly as effective for treating hypos.

Edited by Talltim

That may be so, but a Mars bar is a recognised way of boosting sugar levels quickly if the need arises. I always carry a couple with me just in case ( though admittedly rarely use them).

Stewart

When I used to exhibit in the late 1970's and early 1980's with a group of friends (we never called ourselves a club, but we were centred on the Globe and Engine in Sittingbourne), two different layouts, in SE London, Kent and East Sussex, our "leader" would always insist that Shepherd Neame should be available within walking distance.....that is why we never went national.

• RMweb Gold

When I used to exhibit in the late 1970's and early 1980's with a group of friends (we never called ourselves a club, but we were centred on the Globe and Engine in Sittingbourne), two different layouts, in SE London, Kent and East Sussex, our "leader" would always insist that Shepherd Neame should be available within walking distance.....that is why we never went national.

Depends how far you want to walk!

Mike.

Seems quite a reasonable requirement. :sungum:

• Like 1

I guess that means my, perfectly reasonable, requests - for a piece of carpet, a snooker cue and a cask of Hoegaarden - would be declined if I ever built an exhibitable layout.

Seriously though, I've never been "inside the barriers" at any show - and I'm not expecting this to change any time soon. Even if this were to happen, I'd go out of my way to be reasonable with my requests - and completely honest with any claims, which would be detailed.

Saying that, I'm not expecting this to be put to the test any time soon.

Huw.

Seriously though, I have known and still do know of exhibitors who have a roll of stair carpet strip as part of their equipment.

You ought to try being inside the barriers sometime it's a totally different view of things and very enjoyable.

John

Seriously though, I have known and still do know of exhibitors who have a roll of stair carpet strip as part of their equipment.

When I exhibited 'Holland Park' we always had a strip of carpet the length of the layout. It's surprising what a difference it makes standing and walking on carpet rather than a hard floor. It was a advantage having a carpet fitter as one of my operators.

• Like 3

When I exhibited 'Holland Park' we always had a strip of carpet the length of the layout. It's surprising what a difference it makes standing and walking on carpet rather than a hard floor. It was a advantage having a carpet fitter as one of my operators.

You had a fitted carpet? Surely most halls are a bit sensitive about nailing carpet grippers to their floors!

Type 1 diebetics do need emergency sugar supplies, but Mars Bars aren't great for that as the carbs are released too slowly.

BTW, any type 1s reading this who use Lucosade for emergencies, check the dietary information. They've recently lowered the sugar content in the normal (non-diet) version and it now isn't nearly as effective for treating hypos.

My 9 year old son who is type 1 diabetic uses Jaffa cakes rather than mars bars when he needs a boost.

But back to the initial point, as long as it is clear and understood what will / won't be claimed before the invite is accepted and everyone sticks to it then all will be well. As long as the 'unusual' requests are agreed upfront then at least exhibitor and manager know where they stand.

• Like 1

Special mats can be purchased that work even better, we use that at work for machine operators then tend to be stood in one place for most of their shift, makes a huge difference.