Flangeway OO Salmon Bogie Bolster Wagons - New CAD images

Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

January 2020 Update:

Attention has focussed on the finer details of the wagon include the platform surface and the 'strap box' which is underslung on the chassis.

We noticed on the Engineering Prototype that there were a number of details that had been omitted and rather than press on with production we needed to make sure that we captured the key features of the wagon before signing off the sample. Therefore this has added an increased delay to the next stage of the project and now hope to receieve an updated EP in the next couple of months.

We will also be able to provide pricing and livery specifications soon which are currently being finalised.

The first release will focus on the 8ft bogie in both air braked and unfitted forms.

Rich

2BA13DB1-97A9-4A98-9885-7CC0B81308FF.jpeg

78E20B52-CA9C-424A-B623-75D29BF7B8E1.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Richard Barnett said:

We will also be able to provide pricing and livery specifications soon which are currently being finalised.

The first release will focus on the 8ft bogie in both air braked and unfitted forms.

2BA13DB1-97A9-4A98-9885-7CC0B81308FF.jpeg

78E20B52-CA9C-424A-B623-75D29BF7B8E1.jpeg

I'm really looking forward to these wagons, albeit it looks as though I'll be waiting for a second batch.  :-(  I believe that all of the wagons on original 8' bogies had been withdrawn by 2006, which is slightly before my chosen time period.  I'm hoping for ones with the ASF bogies that were fitted from 1998 (TOPS Code YSA or YWA).  That said, although I believe all of the the YMA types had been withdrawn by 2006, I believe that some were 'in storage' for a few years after that so I may be able to justify the purchase of one or two air braked examples from the initial batch - ie they have been pressed back into use.

Do you know how quickly subsequent batches are likely to be released, or will that largely be dependent on how quickly you sell out of the first batch (assuming that revenue from the first batch will be used to pay the bills for the second batch).   If that's the case, I hope that they sell quickly.

13 hours ago, Dungrange said:

I'm really looking forward to these wagons, albeit it looks as though I'll be waiting for a second batch.  :-(  I believe that all of the wagons on original 8' bogies had been withdrawn by 2006, which is slightly before my chosen time period.  I'm hoping for ones with the ASF bogies that were fitted from 1998 (TOPS Code YSA or YWA).  That said, although I believe all of the the YMA types had been withdrawn by 2006, I believe that some were 'in storage' for a few years after that so I may be able to justify the purchase of one or two air braked examples from the initial batch - ie they have been pressed back into use.

Do you know how quickly subsequent batches are likely to be released, or will that largely be dependent on how quickly you sell out of the first batch (assuming that revenue from the first batch will be used to pay the bills for the second batch).   If that's the case, I hope that they sell quickly.

We’ve done much of the research on the next batch and now need to tool the bogie and the cranes as they will form part of the second batch which we hope will follow in 2021. 

We basically need to slot in the tooling for this as we are also working on a couple of other projects which we have yet to announce, however we are confident that we will be able to move forward quickly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/08/2019 at 11:57, Jub45565 said:

I look forward to the original variants following on!

So what is the date period for those now announced please - when did the unbraked versions appear? Many thanks

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

So what is the date period for those now announced please?

Well the wagons were originally introduced in various batches between 1949 and 1961 and were all either unfitted or fitted with a through vacuum pipe.  These subsequently carried the TOPS codes YMO and YMP.  However, I think the first batches had shorter 5' 6" bogies and the 8' variant wasn't introduced until the batches from around 1955.

Modernising with air brakes came in the 1980's and under TOPS these became YMA (or YMB if they retained their through vacuum pipe but they retained their original bogies at that time: either the 8' version being produced or the shorter 5' 6" variant).  I'm not sure how long the unfitted wagons lasted after completion of the air brake programme or its precise dates.

New ASF bogies were fitted from 1998 to allow higher running speeds (these being codes YSA) and I understand that the last of the wagons on the 8' bogies as modelled went into store in 2006.

I'd therefore say the suitability periods for the first batch are something like -

unfitted versions - circa 1955 to 1990

air braked versions - circa 1985 to 2006

These are only estimates from my understanding of the fleet and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can provide more precise dates - which may be important if you are modelling the 1980's.

Edited by Dungrange
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Well the wagons were originally introduced in various batches between 1949 and 1961 and were all either unfitted or fitted with a through vacuum pipe.  These subsequently carried the TOPS codes YMO and YMP.  However, I think the first batches had shorter 5' 6" bogies and the 8' variant wasn't introduced until the batches from around 1955.

Modernising with air brakes came in the 1980's and under TOPS these became YMA (or YMB if they retained their through vacuum pipe but they retained their original bogies at that time: either the 8' version being produced or the shorter 5' 6" variant).  I'm not sure how long the unfitted wagons lasted after completion of the air brake programme or its precise dates.

New ASF bogies were fitted from 1998 to allow higher running speeds (these being codes YSA) and I understand that the last of the wagons on the 8' bogies as modelled went into store in 2006.

I'd therefore say the suitability periods for the first batch are something like -

unfitted versions - circa 1955 to 1990

air braked versions - circa 1985 to 2006

These are only estimates from my understanding of the fleet and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can provide more precise dates - which may be important if you are modelling the 1980's.

Many thanks David

Its the early 70s for me so well clear of your period of uncertainty - 8ft bogie versions will fill the bill based on your dates, many thanks! Now wheres that Heljan PWM?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

So what is the date period for those now announced please - when did the unbraked versions appear? Many thanks

Once all the livery variants are announced all will become clear. We hope this will be around mid-Feb once the artwork is ready.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Richard Barnett said:

We’ve done much of the research on the next batch and now need to tool the bogie and the cranes as they will form part of the second batch which we hope will follow in 2021. 

We basically need to slot in the tooling for this as we are also working on a couple of other projects which we have yet to announce, however we are confident that we will be able to move forward quickly. 

That's great to hear as I'm also after the later bogied version as well - some of which seem to be living on operating into Devon and Cornwall as of last weekend. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2020 at 20:11, surfsup said:

That's great to hear as I'm also after the later bogied version as well - some of which seem to be living on operating into Devon and Cornwall as of last weekend. 

Still quite a few of the YSA/YWA Salmons around - as well as the YKA Osprey variant.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Incredibly excited for this, I’ve only just seen the updates, wasn’t sure if this was going to happen.

Given my apparent guilty pleasure of amassing scale length engineers trains from the early 90s, I think you can expect a big order from here when the order books open.

Now I wonder which child is worth more to medical science :D

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I ordered three of the unfitted ones, and couldn't understand why after 3 weeks I'd heard nothing!  At this point I phoned the shop to query my order, only to be told (very nicely) they were not even made yet. Clearly(or not with my eyesight)stated on the website, however September was mentioned as a hopeful delivery date( hopefully my hearing and memory is better than my eyes). I will atone for my ignorance and inability to read their website by ordering two of the unfitted crane salmons!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2020 at 01:34, jimwal said:

Realised there is more than one thread on the go. I posted this on the other salmon thread and not seen a reply. Any further thoughts please?

Methinks you're being ignored.

I'd like to know myself too, but it seems a sensitive question.

Mike.

3 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

That being the case - and the implication being that all versions will have ratchet tensioners - they won't be selling any to me!

John Isherwood.

9 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

They either don't read this or don't know what 'ratchet tensioners' are. 

As with John Isherwood there will be no purchases by me either.

Making the Cambrian salmons into useable working models is not the easiest of jobs, but compared with hacking unwanted detail off of diecast items, it will be easy.

Plus they are cheaper.

• Like 1