Flangeway OO Salmon Bogie Bolster Wagons - New CAD images

Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

We are pleased to show everyone the latest CAD designs for the new Flangeway Salmon wagons in OO. The initial release wagons will have BR style bogies and steel bed. The bolsters will be in a detail pack along with D rings allowing you to model the wagon in flat bed or bolster variations. Livery and running number details have not been finalised, and there are details still to be added to the CAD designs. Also, pricing and release dates have not been decided on but any future updates will be announced on this thread as soon as we know more. Updates will also be on our Facebook page here.

PLEASE NOTE: The brake rodding and brake air tanks are not on the current CAD, but will be on the final design. Also, the number of trusses and handbrake wheels will be sorted on the next CADs.

18768157_1427434440656070_55575579987990

18814904_1427434447322736_12290294932692

18766598_1427434457322735_76606514678092

18836752_1427434463989401_89701528850939

18837081_1427434487322732_22264600875157

18879965_1427434530656061_48519784739028

18814012_1427434473989400_97071058855614

Please feel to free to ask questions, and also any helpful advice or suggestions you wish to make will be taken on board. :)

Alex @ Footplate

Edited by Midland Mole @ Footplate
  • Like 10

Is the coupling pocket articulated to help it get around corners?

Does the coupling pocket clear the longer wheelbase versions of the bogies?

Shouldn't there be 6 underframe trusses not 4?

The shank of the buffer looks a bit weedy.

Don't a lot of Salmons have handbrake wheels at all corners?

You have chosen an unusual axlebox - fitted to only one lot as far as I can tell, the curved top variety being much more common.

WOuld it make sense for the basic model to only have shackles, and for the belt tensioner to be on a separate sprue for more modern modellers to add themselves?

Jon

Edited by jonhall

Thank you for the feedback so far. I will pass it along and endeavour to answer your concerns asap. These CADs are not the final versions and are still subject to change.

Alex @ Footplate

Edit: Also fixed the pictures as Photobucket seems to have stopped working properly! :D

I now have some answers for you about the points raised.

1) The number of trusses and handbrake wheels WILL be changed on future CADs. 

2) The axlebox is correct for the version & running numbers we are producing. Future versions may have different bogie types and would have the correct axleboxes for the bogie type.

3) The coupling pockets will work the same way as Hornby pockets on their long vehicles and will easily go round corners, but we have not made the final decision on whether they will be articulated or not. And yes, they will clear longer wheelbase versions.

4) Unfortunately any additional loose pieces such as belt tensioners in the detail pack would add considerable expense to the model process.

I hope this helps,

Alex @ Footplate

• 5 months later...

A quick update, we recently received the new CADs for the Salmon Wagons with a number of improvements. There is still one thing that needs to be changed but it should not be too long until we can show you the updated versions.

Alex @ Footplate

• Like 2

Looking forward to these more so now that Hattons have announced the Salmon modules on the FEA-S (and -E). You nearly always see some Salmon or Osprey with an FEA-S or two. 

When shall we know the full specs and choices to order? 

When shall we know the full specs and choices to order? 

I don't know exactly yet, but final details and liveries are being sorted out so hopefully it wont be too much longer until we can show the options available.

Alex @ Footplate

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Is there any update on these: new CAD drawings or details of the initial versions to be produced?  I assume that tooling hasn't commenced yet, which means that these are probably still a year away, but I'm looking forward to these - especially when you get around to producing reasonably contemporary air braked versions.

We should getting final CADs soon, and tooling/production is due to commence shortly after that. We are still aiming at getting these out this year.

Alex

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hello, has this advanced much since the last update? 

Also, would you consider another run of the snow ploughs. The second hand prices for a Network Rail one is a little steep! 

Edit. Just seen your account has been removed. Anyone know who is the suitable contact to email regarding the Salmon?

Edited by 159220

Also, would you consider another run of the snow ploughs. The second hand prices for a Network Rail one is a little steep! 

Edit. Just seen your account has been removed. Anyone know who is the suitable contact to email regarding the Salmon?

Hi 159220,

You could try their website for a contact e-mail:

http://www.flangeway.com/products.php

Alternatively, I think they either 'also traded as' or seemed to have a link to Footplate Models, who may be able to help:

http://www.footplate.co.uk/index.php?main_page=about_us

Flangeway's website home page did seem to be talking about future releases for 2012 and 2013... so not sure if they are still producing new items.

I have bought Mermaids and Snowploughs from Footplate Models in the past (at shows)... typically, both of which I had bought previously as kits but never built - doh!

If you do find out, may be worth mentioning the response here...

Cheers,

Ixion.

• RMweb Premium

I spoke to a chap on the Footplate Models stand at Doncaster show, he said something along the lines of ‘maybe late this year’ but he seemed a little downbeat in his response so not sure if there are problems with the project?

Hopefully they are still coming, I will certainly buy 2 or 3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Moderators

Salmon season is here!

FlangewaySalmon05.jpgFlangewaySalmon04.jpgFlangewaySalmon03.jpgFlangewaySalmon02.jpgFlangewaySalmon01.jpgFlangewaySalmon06.jpg

Footplate of Kidderminster are pleased to show off their latest Flangeway wagon, the Salmon. After many years of development and research, the Engineering Prototype of the Salmon has landed.

First impressions are extremely favourable, however as this is the first EP, the model is now being reviewed to ensure that any inaccuracies are corrected and that the first release can accurately depict 1980’s air braked vehicles, as well as ensuring that other variations can be accurately portrayed without any major alterations, including versions with the rail cranes and more modern ASF bogies.

The first releases will depict 1980’s variants in engineers yellow and grey - release dates and prices will follow in due course.

In addition to the Salmon arriving, the latest release of the Snowplough is expected soon. Currently, the second batch of livery samples are being reviewed and should be signed off soon, paving the way for production. It is hoped the Snowplough’s will arrive in time for winter snow duties…

FlangewaySalmon21.jpgFlangewaySalmon20.jpgFlangewaySalmon19.jpgFlangewaySalmon18.jpgFlangewaySalmon17.jpgFlangewaySalmon16.jpgFlangewaySalmon15.jpgFlangewaySalmon14.jpgFlangewaySalmon13.jpgFlangewaySalmon12.jpgFlangewaySalmon11.jpgFlangewaySalmon10.jpgFlangewaySalmon09.jpgAlthough the Salmon has yet to be released for pre-order, Footplate are still taking pre-orders for the Snowplough via the website; www.footplate.co.uk. Updates on the Salmon will follow once final prices have been confirmed and will then be available for pre-order from the Footplate website.FlangewaySalmon08.jpgFlangewaySalmon07.jpgFlangewaySalmon22.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

I feared that this project would never see the light of day since progress with CAD seemed very slow, but it's great to see that the model has now got this far.  I'm not really looking for 1980's versions - I'd primarily like the more modern version with ASF bogies.  One with a rail crane would also be great, but I'll have to invest in a couple of the first release just to make sure that Flangeway have the cash flow to produce the versions that I really want.

I agree that a RTR Salmon is long overdue - it's been on my wish list for years.

Overall doesn't look too bad.

One area that needs looking at is the strap box under the deck on one side. Its modelled with 3 planks. Should only have one, that comes to half height.

As per this link to Flickr

DSCN3347

Are Flangeway monitoring this thread, or is feedback being directed to them?

Jo

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Overall doesn't look too bad.

One area that needs looking at is the strap box under the deck on one side. Its modelled with 3 planks. Should only have one, that comes to half height.

As per this link to Flickr

DSCN3347

Are Flangeway monitoring this thread, or is feedback being directed to them?

I'd very much doubt that Flangeway are monitoring this thread, so comments are probably best sent to them directly.  However, I note that the photograph that you link to is relatively recent (the straps are marked DB Schenker) so is this perhaps something that has changed since the 1980's?  The sides of these boxes look as though they have three planks, so perhaps the original doors did as well.  They may have rotted and just been replaced with a wider single plank more recently than the original condition being represented.  That's just speculation on my part, but you'll probably need a few older photographs to be sure that they have got it wrong (if indeed they have).