IZA Cargowaggon twin van from Revolution Trains

97403_Ixion

• RMweb Premium

I believe there is another livery, second photo on the news page with class 92 seems to show it. Also a poor shot in the rain at dusk of the paper train through Ruskington, Lincs. The only freight to use the joint line at that time.

post-29514-0-63669000-1496520257_thumb.jpg

Also in the train are another variant of the twins with a different body/roof profile.

Dave

• Like 1

Ben and rest of Revolution trains

Would you consider doing these wagons in 00 gauge as if it is to the same high standards as the TEA I would be interested in one. I know your company is primary n gauge but I do not see this wagon coming in oo gauge.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The Cargowaggon twin vans are something I have long wanted to see produced in N.

We are proposing three livery options, original with Cargowaggon markings, Perrier, and revised Cargowaggon with yellow painted ferryhooks and loops and circular warning labels on the doors.

post-420-0-93146300-1496528177_thumb.jpg

As has already been pointed out, these are as useful in block trains as they are in ones, twos or threes in enterprise type mixed trains, and they have been seen from the Continent to Cornwall and Scotland.

This shot by Mick Page, posted with permission, shows an Exeter-Mossend train in 1992:

post-420-0-96206300-1496528926_thumb.jpg

At the moment we are focussed on N Gauge for this model, and while I can see the attraction we won't be offering any further 4mm models until we have delivered the 00 TEAs to the market.

For N gauge enthusiasts we will be adding the order options to our website in the coming week.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 8

Hi, sounds interesting. Does anyone know if any of these reached Inverness in the EWS enterprise era (ideally 1997 - 2000 ish)  

Just seeing if I have a legitimate excuse.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Edited by definate maybe

Ben and rest of Revolution trains

Would you consider doing these wagons in 00 gauge as if it is to the same high standards as the TEA I would be interested in one. I know your company is primary n gauge but I do not see this wagon coming in oo gauge.

Hello all,

The Cargowaggon twin vans are something I have long wanted to see produced in N.

We are proposing three livery options, original with Cargowaggon markings, Perrier, and revised Cargowaggon with yellow painted ferryhooks and loops and circular warning labels on the doors.

attachicon.gifIMG_5556.JPG

As has already been pointed out, these are as useful in block trains as they are in ones, twos or threes in enterprise type mixed trains, and they have been seen from the Continent to Cornwall and Scotland.

This shot by Mick Page, posted with permission, shows an Exeter-Mossend train in 1992:

attachicon.gifIMG_5495.JPG

At the moment we are focussed on N Gauge for this model, and while I can see the attraction we won't be offering any further 4mm models until we have delivered the 00 TEAs to the market.

For N gauge enthusiasts we will be adding the order options to our website in the coming week.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Guys

Sorry to jump this post I just wanted to add to what has already been said regarding the 00 gauge I to would make a massive investment into the 00 gauge as that's is where I model the most however I might buy 1 pack of the N gauge just to support the hobby however Ben I have sent you a private email regarding this and I do wish to say thanks I do appreciate you and your teams effort for making these models in your spare time

Thanks

Alan

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that these have even been done in 1:160 N or 1:87 HO. Would surely be a good seller on the mainland.

Looks as though it may be a bit difficult to get them round setrack curves.

Hello Joseph,

In N similar wheelbase vehicles from Roco, Minitrix and Fleischmann cope with Setrack curves.  The model will have NEM coupler pockets in kinematic mounts so I don't foresee any problems, but we will be sure to monitor this going forward.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben and Mike,

Might be a daft question but how long is a pair of these in real life or N gauge? They're not a common format for me that I can relate to and cant find any drawings or specs on the interweb. I just want to check how many will fit my yard!

Thanks

Dave

Hi Ben and Mike,

Might be a daft question but how long is a pair of these in real life or N gauge? They're not a common format for me that I can relate to and cant find any drawings or specs on the interweb. I just want to check how many will fit my yard!

Thanks

Dave

Is this of use? The pdf that links to the web page has an outline drawing as well as principal dimensions:-

http://www.touaxrail.com/content/rivukhfirrs-3

Has any thought been put to doing weathered variants of these as well either now or at a later date potentially? I have noted when these run on the Dollands Moor to Daventry working at the moment most seem to resemble various shades of brown nowadays with the odd bit of graffiti here and there as well on them.

• Like 1

Has any thought been put to doing weathered variants of these as well either now or at a later date potentially? I have noted when these run on the Dollands Moor to Daventry working at the moment most seem to resemble various shades of brown nowadays with the odd bit of graffiti here and there as well on them.

They seem to have acquired this brown patina very soon after introduction; the bare-metal finish acts as a dirt-magnet. There's been one pair that appears to have been repainted with aluminium paint fairly recently, but otherwise it seems to be fifty shades of brown, The only cleanish bits are the panels carrying the wagon details; ownership has gone over to a company called 'Touax' from GE Rail Services (and prior to that, Cargowaggon)

There have been queries about the use of the vans; one of the earliest services they worked was from Austria to Hexham, carrying special grades of chipboard for the Egger plant there. These workings consisted of one or two pairs, coupled to the CIBA resin tanks.

• Like 1

Excellent news! I've seen far more of these little twin vans in the UK than the bogie version modelled by Dapol, at least in the period I can remember.

What is the rationale behind them? They seem very similar to two normal continental Habbins vans (equivalent to VGA) permanently coupled. Surely that creates extra construction and maintenance costs compared to a single bogie wagon? Seems odd we don't really see many single LWB 4 wheel vans in the UK, when they are really common on the mainland, yet we do get these.

I'll definitely order some - I'm slightly surprised you've announced these before delivering that many of the previous models though. I've got several 321s, a 92, and some container flats all on pre-order ...

Still, these make a natural pairing with the 92 - good joined up thinking!

Justin

Excellent news! I've seen far more of these little twin vans in the UK than the bogie version modelled by Dapol, at least in the period I can remember.

What is the rationale behind them? They seem very similar to two normal continental Habbins vans (equivalent to VGA) permanently coupled. Surely that creates extra construction and maintenance costs compared to a single bogie wagon? Seems odd we don't really see many single LWB 4 wheel vans in the UK, when they are really common on the mainland, yet we do get these.

I'll definitely order some - I'm slightly surprised you've announced these before delivering that many of the previous models though. I've got several 321s, a 92, and some container flats all on pre-order ...

Still, these make a natural pairing with the 92 - good joined up thinking!

Justin

Being shorter, they are allowed to carry a heavier load per square metre than their bogie counterparts: this used to be noted on the data sheets under GERS, but is absent on some sheets now. The running gear has only one brake distributor per pair, the same as a bogie wagon.

Some comparison figures:-

the Habfis 3 bogie van has a loading area of 51 square metres, and a maximum load of 63t. The Hfirrs 3 twin van has a load area of 65 square metres, and a payload of 62.5t. It has a maximum load of 5t per square metre, whilst the figure for the bogie van is half that.

Edited by Fat Controller

• RMweb Gold

We have thought about weathered versions but we'd like to be sure that the factory can do weathering convincingly before committing to weathered versions.

There are two main reasons: not all projects take the same length of time ie wagons are much quicker to produce than multiple units and secondly that if we don't announce (and more importantly work on) new projects then we will have larger gaps between models (once a model reaches various phases of development/production then we are essentially waiting and QC'ing but not doing detailed research etc). So we try to create a production schedule (that then gets completely derailed by development time/problems!) - it is very difficult to predict whether a model will sail through development straight to production or whether it will need tooling changes.

The Pendolino work started in Feb 2015 and after a few iterations of coupler they are in production now. By contrast the TEAs were announced in March 2015 and delivered in Oct 2016.

The 92 we only announced in Oct 2016 (with the delivery of the TEAs) but we had been working on it in the background prior to the announcement for some time hence the first sample is here.

The KFAs are waiting for a tooling modification to the metal spine but other than that should go into production reasonably soon. In contrast the 321s we've only just got the first CAD.

You can see a summary on our project overview: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/projects/ and we will be sending out a newsletter over the next week with some more information on the progress and possible schedule for each model.

Cheers, Mike