IZA Cargowaggon twin van from Revolution Trains

97403_Ixion

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news! I've seen far more of these little twin vans in the UK than the bogie version modelled by Dapol, at least in the period I can remember.

What is the rationale behind them? They seem very similar to two normal continental Habbins vans (equivalent to VGA) permanently coupled. Surely that creates extra construction and maintenance costs compared to a single bogie wagon? Seems odd we don't really see many single LWB 4 wheel vans in the UK, when they are really common on the mainland, yet we do get these.

I'll definitely order some - I'm slightly surprised you've announced these before delivering that many of the previous models though. I've got several 321s, a 92, and some container flats all on pre-order ...

Still, these make a natural pairing with the 92 - good joined up thinking!

Justin

Hi Justin,

In addition to the information above about loading, my understanding is that at the time (mid 80s) there were grants available to encourage the use of bigger bogie wagons, however UIC descriptions only refer to "2-axle" or "4-axle" wagons.  By splitting the brake gear across the wagons Duewag and Cargowaggon were able to argue that the twins were, in effect, a single wagon and qualified for the grants, while at the same time maximising capacity.

Mike has largely answered your point about timings, but in addition I would add that we have held back from any announcements at Model Rail Scotland or York but felt, with the Pendolinos now well into production, the 00 TEAs getting underway, the 92, KFA and Class Bs very close and clear progress made on the HOAs and 321 the time was right to begin the next wagon.  

And, as you identified, the progress on the 92 was also a factor in this decision.

cheers

Ben A.

Mike has largely answered your point about timings, but in addition I would add that we have held back from any announcements at Model Rail Scotland or York but felt, with the Pendolinos now well into production, the 00 TEAs getting underway, the 92, KFA and Class Bs very close and clear progress made on the HOAs and 321 the time was right to begin the next wagon.  

Hi Ben, don't worry, it wasn't a criticism! I hadn't noticed the pictures of the pre-production 92 until I had already posted on this thread - it makes a lot more sense now! I had just been thinking it was a bit odd I hadn't yet been invoiced for the second 92 payment (I realise you said they wouldn't all happen at once, but it has been a while) - which made me think tooling might not have started yet. The 92 pictures look seriously impressive!

When exactly did the revised version of the livery appear? I'm trying to decide whether to order the triple pack in original, for maximum period, or revised to get the tail light! Although the pictures, even from the early 90s, seem to show the main livery was grime! An ideal candidate for a Mercig-mastered weathered version? 

Actually, Arnold did a "weathered" version of their 4-axle Hbis wagon - which was basically solid brown, apart from the data panels, way before factory weathered rolling stock was a thing - 1993 to 1997 catalogues according to this site: http://www.spur-n-datenbank.de/arnold/gueterwagen/bilder/4440.jpg  It looks more plausible in the flesh, I think!

Justin

Edited by justin1985

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

There may be others better informed than I am, but I think the addition of the circular warnings came in around the late 90s. Though before that the original versions had started to get the ferry hooks and loops picked out in yellow.

Cheers

Ben A.

I don't think that these have even been done in 1:160 N or 1:87 HO. Would surely be a good seller on the mainland.

Looks as though it may be a bit difficult to get them round setrack curves.

Roco did do a similar version in 'HO' - Cat Code 66-573 for reference!  Conti-kits and Scograil stocked them.

All just filthy silver AFAIK.

Cleaning them is a nightmare. About the only thing that shifts the grime ingrained into the metal surface is scrubbing with hydrofluoric acid, but the personal protection needed for the job is akin to a spacesuit. I guess they will all stay dirty silver with various brown lowlights.

Cleaning them is a nightmare. About the only thing that shifts the grime ingrained into the metal surface is scrubbing with hydrofluoric acid, but the personal protection needed for the job is akin to a spacesuit. I guess they will all stay dirty silver with various brown lowlights.

Eurotunnel had some success cleaning the tourist shuttles with something akin to Exmover, which is similar to the oxalic acid found in rhubarb.

I had a look at a few wagons at Frethun today; there was one pair of IZA that seemed to have been cleaned, but most were very dirty.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a look at a few wagons at Frethun today; there was one pair of IZA that seemed to have been cleaned, but most were very dirty.

Hi Brian,

I don't suppose you were able to take photographs? Or would that be frowned on?

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Brian,

I don't suppose you were able to take photographs? Or would that be frowned on?

Cheers

Ben A.

No chance of photos there, as the place is like Colditz, with parallel lines of 4 metre high mesh fencing. Best place to get photos would be the wagon works at Hazebrouck, where there are usually some of these wagons undergoing maintenance. I'll ask my contacts there if there's any chance of some photos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Tried to order some wagons this evening but the website isn't allowing it, any reason or website glitch?

Hi Graham

Other than sporadic Bad Gateway problem (see the banner at the top of every page on the website) there shouldn't be any problem - we recived orders for the IZAs yesterday evening but please drop me a message if you are having problems.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hello PC,

No plans for weathered ones at this time, however I will certainly want some of mine to be weathered so will probably have a bash and post some photos showing possible techniques on our website once the models start to arrive.

I saw a rake outside DIRFT last week - mostly weathered but with some recently cleaned in the mix too.

Thanks to all who have ordered - we'll be updating on progress very soon with these models.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Just a thought, but are you looking to do a poster with example consists and routes for the IZA in the same way as you've done for the HOAs and TEAs?

These have been invaluable when it comes to deciding how many and of which type to order. Appreciate you might already have this in hand and are just trying to find the time to do it

Regards

John

If you just want small numbers as part of a mixed freight, then there were flows from Austria to Hexham, with chipboard for Egger, and Guinness from Park Royal to various destinations.

Block train flows that used them include:-

Newsprint and paper from Immingham, Felixstowe and the Channel Tunnel to Barking and Daventry

Mineral water from various sources in France to Daventry- this still runs. There was another flow to the Prologis terminal near Coventry.

Car-parts traffic for VAG to Wolverton and subsequently to Birch Coppice.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

If I have time I will create a map and some sample consists but the difficulty is these wagons have been around for so long, and on so many routes., that it would be an enormous job, and right now I am struggling a bit to find time along with all the other stuff that has come in - 92 sample, 321 CADs, HOA CADs, etc.

In some ways the map is so likely to be wrong, or at least incomplete, that it might be counterproductive.

However I will give it a shot when I can.

In terms of liveries, photographic evidence suggests the additional door safety markings (which is the primary difference between the new and original liveries) started to be introduced in the late 90s, so I'd say you'd want some of each.

Cheers

Ben A.