Peak forest sidings/ area photos from now and before

Forgot to add any such diversions with the 3 reversals would be top 'n tailed with locos at both ends and the train length and weight reduced by shortening the wagon rake given the steep gradients on the LNW line.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Loaded trains from Tunstead to Hindlow say will depart Tuns northbound as far as the Up&Dn Loop or Up Main (lines are reversed here so that Up is towards Chinley). Then loco will run-round wagons using Up-Dn crossover at Peak Forest South. Then head south then west towards Buxton using single line from Great Rocks Jnc. Then at Buxton will surrender token then enter XYZ/Donahue Sdgs loop to run round again. Then depart south towards station to briefly join LNW line outside Buxton signal box collecting token then heading for Hindlow ground frame to access Tarmac BLI Brigg's Sdgs.

So there is no direct connection nowadays from MR line to LNW so any diverted services say Tunstead to Lostock Northwich would need to reverse 3 times (Great Rocks/Buxton Sdgs/Buxton station) to gain LNW line to Stockport. When Dove Holes tunnel was closed for major drainage works 5-6 years maybe a bit longer now services were diverted to run this was. To help with these an extra trailing crossover was installed up the bank towards Dove Holes but these were later taken out.

Paul

Why would a train run from Tunstead to Hindlow?

In spite of travelling to these locations sporadically over many years I have only just started to wonder about the details of the operations.

Edit: The reason for the question is that I understood that Hindlow was another quarry like Tunstead. It was when I made a school trip there but that was many, many years ago!

Edited by highpeakman

In spite of travelling to these locations sporadically over many years I have only just started to wonder about the details of the operations.

Edit: The reason for the question is that I understood that Hindlow was another quarry like Tunstead. It was when I made a school trip there but that was many, many years ago!

Hindlow has a lime plant and other processes treating limestone; limestone is brought in from elsewhere in the Peak District. It's quite likely, given its situation, that Hindlow is restricted in how much rock can be quarried on site.

• RMweb Gold

Hindlow has a lime plant and other processes treating limestone; limestone is brought in from elsewhere in the Peak District. It's quite likely, given its situation, that Hindlow is restricted in how much rock can be quarried on site.

Thanks for the information. I must admit had never occurred to me that limestone would be "imported" to Hindlow from Tunstead for processing. (I'm obviously still living in the days when 8Fs ruled supreme on traffic from Hindlow!  :) )

So is the Hindlow traffic the only flow to go out from Tunstead via Buxton?

Does all the rest of the Tunstead output go out via the Dove Holes Tunnel route?

• RMweb Premium

It's a very modellable area I think .nice scenery, lots of trains ( not on a Saturday !)

Marcus37 has done it great justice on his peak dale wood layout

Operationally, the track plan at Peak Forest is quite interesting. We're copying it on the club layout Bankfield and moving the location about 50 miles northwards to the limestone quarries of the Ribble Valley.

And adding in passenger services for exhibition interest.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Here is a view from 1984

post-7081-0-82884000-1497155854_thumb.jpg

37106 shunts MSVs on the left as another 37 approaches, possibly on a Speedlink trip 12/7/84.

And to go off topic I missed seeing class 25s at Peak Forest, but did see one at Guide Bridge on a Tunstead to Northwich working

post-7081-0-08413500-1497156068_thumb.jpg

25158 passes Guide Bridge with ICI hoppers from Tunstead to Northwich, 16/4/81

cheers

• Like 6

Partly answered elsewhere but the amount of quarrying the then ICI Mond could do at Hindlow was restricted and so in 1987 the new flow commenced and 37688 was named "Great Rocks" in 1988 to commemorate the new flow. And the real 37688 ex DRS will I believe ride again as "Great Rocks" now it is in preservation.

Hence the flow continuing today using Freightliner locos and HIA wagons.

Paul

Edited by pharrc20

Yes the Tunstead to Hindlow is the only traffic to be routed via Buxton. Only exceptions are diverted traffic as mentioned before otherwise all output plus that from Dove Holes goes via Dove Holes Tunnel. And then there is the output from Dowlow quarry just a little further south than Hindlow and that sends out quite a few trainloads of limestone and aggregates all requiring a reverse & run round at Buxton. Network Rail have proposed to remodel and lengthen the run round sidings at Buxton to meet increased demand.

Paul

Thanks for the information. I must admit had never occurred to me that limestone would be "imported" to Hindlow from Tunstead for processing. (I'm obviously still living in the days when 8Fs ruled supreme on traffic from Hindlow! :) )

So is the Hindlow traffic the only flow to go out from Tunstead via Buxton?

Does all the rest of the Tunstead output go out via the Dove Holes Tunnel route?

• RMweb Gold

Yes the Tunstead to Hindlow is the only traffic to be routed via Buxton. Only exceptions are diverted traffic as mentioned before otherwise all output plus that from Dove Holes goes via Dove Holes Tunnel. And then there is the output from Dowlow quarry just a little further south than Hindlow and that sends out quite a few trainloads of limestone and aggregates all requiring a reverse & run round at Buxton. Network Rail have proposed to remodel and lengthen the run round sidings at Buxton to meet increased demand.

Paul

Thanks very much indeed for the information. It helps explain a lot of things that have puzzled me.

I could see that the Hindlow line connected directly to the main line, unlike the Tunstead line which connects to the sidings, so I initially wondered why there was a need for reversal but have now realised that there is no cross over between the up and down lines beyond the junction. I should have looked in more detail initially. I assume that the remodelling would correct this? 

• RMweb Gold

This should be a link to the Network Rail proposals for Buxton. Further down the page is a link to all the formal documentation.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/lne-and-em/buxton/

Paul.

Thanks. That's interesting but looking through it I am still puzzled.

Thanks to earlier posts in this thread I now understand the traffic flows a little better but, even then, I would have thought that the work would include a new trailing cross over between the up and down main line line just to the east of the junctions of the main line and the Hindlow and Tunstead tracks would make access to the network from these sites so much easier and avoid some of the reversals and run rounds. It would enable trains leaving Hindlow to access the down main directly.

I guess that it is not judged cost effective work but happy to have someone with more knowledge enlighten me.

Edited by highpeakman

• RMweb Gold

Yet another question from me!

I presume that the "kink" in the track on the left was to take the track around something that was built there previously. Any suggestions please?

post-8314-0-42840100-1497266184_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Upper End Bridge or as was locally known in railway terms Pipeline Bridge which was originally just an occupation overbridge but in ICI days gained a slurry pipeline and the bridge was later fenced off. The bridge was removed x years ago. I think I posted some info in Marcus' Peak Dale Wood layout thread a while ago year escapes me now maybe 2007 or 8?

Paul

Yet another question from me!

I presume that the "kink" in the track on the left was to take the track around something that was built there previously. Any suggestions please?

I think the powers that be i.e. Network Rail and DB Cargo and Freightliner would send more freight out via the LNW line to Whaley Bridge and Stockport were it not for the steep gradients; clearance issues in Eaves Tunnel (between Dove Holes and Chapel-en-le-Frith); weight restrictions over at least one road underbridge at Whaley and the enforced reduction in trailing load and wagon rake length due to all of the above issues. Oh and having top 'n tail the loaded trains. There is only one booked freight at present that uses the LNW from Hazel Grove towards Buxton and this is the weekday evening Ashburys (Manchester) to Dowlow empty aggs. train using new bright red DB Cargo MMA bogie box wagons usually seen just after 8.15pm at Hazel Grove following the passenger train up. Usually a Shed 66 sometimes a Tug 60 :-) Also the there are long signal sections too with boxes at Hazel Grove, Norbury Crossing, Furness Vale, Chapel and of course Buxton.

Paul

Thanks. That's interesting but looking through it I am still puzzled.

Thanks to earlier posts in this thread I now understand the traffic flows a little better but, even then, I would have thought that the work would include a new trailing cross over between the up and down main line line just to the east of the junctions of the main line and the Hindlow and Tunstead tracks would make access to the network from these sites so much easier and avoid some of the reversals and run rounds. It would enable trains leaving Hindlow to access the down main directly.

I guess that it is not judged cost effective work but happy to have someone with more knowledge enlighten me.

• RMweb Gold

I think the powers that be i.e. Network Rail and DB Cargo and Freightliner would send more freight out via the LNW line to Whaley Bridge and Stockport were it not for the steep gradients; clearance issues in Eaves Tunnel (between Dove Holes and Chapel-en-le-Frith); weight restrictions over at least one road underbridge at Whaley and the enforced reduction in trailing load and wagon rake length due to all of the above issues. Oh and having top 'n tail the loaded trains. There is only one booked freight at present that uses the LNW from Hazel Grove towards Buxton and this is the weekday evening Ashburys (Manchester) to Dowlow empty aggs. train using new bright red DB Cargo MMA bogie box wagons usually seen just after 8.15pm at Hazel Grove following the passenger train up. Usually a Shed 66 sometimes a Tug 60 :-) Also the there are long signal sections too with boxes at Hazel Grove, Norbury Crossing, Furness Vale, Chapel and of course Buxton.

Paul

Thanks again for the explanation, it is appreciated.

As usual there is a lot more to the situation than can be seen by the casual observer.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting info

When you like at the railway tracks in the area from google earth it appears you'd need someone off the krypton factor to work out what goes where !

It seems that it may have been even more complex when the different railway companies, LNWR and LMS, operated!

See Buxton then http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.2627&lon=-1.9086&layers=176&right=BingHyb

Edit: Note that the Bing map does not show the current Tunstead rail route into Buxton. It stops short at the end of Tunstead itself. It does show the Hindlow route though.

Edited by highpeakman

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for posting that side-by-side link, fascinating.

Being able to trace the old track layout shows that there's much more of the old trackbed still existing than you would think, particularly the section behind Aldi that runs over Bridge Street.

Al.