Peak forest sidings/ area photos from now and before

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for posting that side-by-side link, fascinating.

Being able to trace the old track layout shows that there's much more of the old trackbed still existing than you would think, particularly the section behind Aldi that runs over Bridge Street.

I think that's where Peak Rail were originally set up, note the platform and shadow of a water crane on the Google aerial view.

Upper End Bridge or as was locally known in railway terms Pipeline Bridge which was originally just an occupation overbridge but in ICI days gained a slurry pipeline and the bridge was later fenced off. The bridge was removed x years ago. I think I posted some info in Marcus' Peak Dale Wood layout thread a while ago year escapes me now maybe 2007 or 8?

Paul

Paul

Pipe bridge was demolished 1st August 2004

As it was on the 2 May 2004

60062,60037 unusually T&T

post-1161-0-54390500-1497305783_thumb.jpg

And being demolished 01 August 2004  (A very misty day)

post-1161-0-65638100-1497306005_thumb.jpg

post-1161-0-57033000-1497306064_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Derek. Just goes to show how crap my memory is without my notepads!

The tnt 60s photo shows a rake of 15 loaded Brunner Mond JEA hoppers so a diverted service routed via Buxton and LNW line to Stockport illustrating nicely my earlier comments about diversions. Standard Northwich rake was 23-25 JEAs but reduced to 15 as shown.

Paul

Paul

Pipe bridge was demolished 1st August 2004

As it was on the 2 May 2004

60062,60037 unusually T&T

60062,60037 GR 020504 .jpg

And being demolished 01 August 2004 (A very misty day)

Pipe Bridge PF 010804 .jpg

Pipe Bridge 2 PF 010804 .jpg

Edited by pharrc20

Yes indeed it is but given where it is and fact that the train is top n' tailed would suggest to me it will run the diversionary route. Derek will hopefully be able to confirm which way the train moved next. Paul

But isn't that t'n't train on the up going away from Great Rocks to Chinley South?

Paul

• RMweb Premium

There is only one booked freight at present that uses the LNW from Hazel Grove towards Buxton and this is the weekday evening Ashburys (Manchester) to Dowlow empty aggs. train using new bright red DB Cargo MMA bogie box wagons usually seen just after 8.15pm at Hazel Grove following the passenger train up. Usually a Shed 66 sometimes a Tug 60 :-) Also the there are long signal sections too with boxes at Hazel Grove, Norbury Crossing, Furness Vale, Chapel and of course Buxton.

Here it is this evening, passing Combs Reservoir. I was hoping the sun would reappear, and that it would be a 60 (the only other times I've seen it, by chance, it's had a Tug on it) but no such luck. Perhaps I should slog up to the top of Eccles Pike whilst there's light every evening until I get both, the exercise will do me good, just as long as I can avoid the pub afterwards (failed tonight).

post-22093-0-07369300-1497391018_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 4

Nice photo. Wednesdays seems to be the best chance for a Tug on this diagram assuming they don't need to loco to go and shunt Lostock works to bring the hoppers back or send it out with the Dallam stone instead.

Paul

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I thought it was about time this thread had an update.

These pictures were taken on the 20th June 2018.

I have a few more taken at the same time and will be happy to post if anyone is interested?

56113 acting as the local shunter at this time - I think it has now left?

Not sure why the DRS 37 was there as well at the same time as I would gave thought it would also be acting as a shunter. I look forward to someone explaining.

This bit of The Peak District is not necessarily the place to go for clean air!

post-8314-0-24720800-1534859442_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-27594300-1534859461_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-22531800-1534859572_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-90672600-1534859699_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-88146700-1534859772_thumb.jpg

Edited by highpeakman
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

A couple more:

Earlier in this thread there was some discussion about the siding track angle at Great Rocks.

I note that a new(ish) road crossing has been put in place and a stop block placed early in the siding preventing any possible future access to these sidings. 

Plus arrival of a Freightliner train and another Freightliner 66  - local shunter (?).

post-8314-0-15012600-1534861784_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-19511400-1534861806_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-74481000-1534861867_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-67173200-1534861943_thumb.jpg

Edited by highpeakman
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was about time this thread had an update.

These pictures were taken on the 20th June 2018.

I have a few more taken at the same time and will be happy to post if anyone is interested?

56113 acting as the local shunter at this time - I think it has now left?

Not sure why the DRS 37 was there as well at the same time as I would gave thought it would also be acting as a shunter. I look forward to someone explaining.

This bit of The Peak District is not necessarily the place to go for clean air!

37716 is indeed the shunter - It is hired to Victa Railfreight, as is the 56.

Although 56113 has been swapped for 56105 and now 105 is broken - allegedly with a sheared traction motor pinion....….

Victa Railfreright have taken over the shunt duties at Dove Holes as traffic goes out with either GBRf or DB traction, depending which contract it is.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

First shot is, of course, not Peak Forest but isn't that far away. Freightliner 66605 barrels through Grindleford emerging from Totley Tunnel.

The rest are 56113 shunting and various DB 66s.

post-8314-0-97126000-1534864954_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-32180900-1534865110_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-45627300-1534865147_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-55417300-1534867446_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-13986300-1534867500_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-67412000-1534867512_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-06834200-1534867535_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

From the two visits I have made myself in June and August the 37 and 56 only seem to be shunting the red DB MMA bogie box wagons from Dove Holes Cemex and GBRf 66s mostly the recent refurbd ex DB ones handle their own HYA/IIA bogie hoppers or rakes of ex DB HTAs that have been hired in from same quarry.

Freightliner still seem to have a foothold in Cemex traffic whether this is on behalf of DB or GBRf is not clear but was using FL HHAs when I saw this in June.

Still lots of rumours about what will replace the 37 and 56 but as much as I love 37s it really struggles backing up the rakes of loaded MMAs when swapping over loading positions. Maybe top and tail 37s might help? The 56s seemed a lot more sure footed but having knackered 105 so soon maybe not?

Cheers Paul

• RMweb Premium

From the two visits I have made myself in June and August the 37 and 56 only seem to be shunting the red DB MMA bogie box wagons from Dove Holes Cemex and GBRf 66s mostly the recent refurbd ex DB ones handle their own HYA/IIA bogie hoppers or rakes of ex DB HTAs that have been hired in from same quarry.

Freightliner still seem to have a foothold in Cemex traffic whether this is on behalf of DB or GBRf is not clear but was using FL HHAs when I saw this in June.

Still lots of rumours about what will replace the 37 and 56 but as much as I love 37s it really struggles backing up the rakes of loaded MMAs when swapping over loading positions. Maybe top and tail 37s might help? The 56s seemed a lot more sure footed but having knackered 105 so soon maybe not?

Cheers Paul

I wonder how the "shunters" will fare when typical Peak District weather sets in?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A question for those with knowledge of the workings at Great Rocks please.

Looking along the old Midland main line track pair from Great Rocks, the old down(?) track is somewhat overgrown compared to the well used left line out to Topley Dale and back to Buxton. I know this track connects back into the other end of the works sidings after the first tunnel and It does look as if it it still used - it appears shiny on these pics. However, on Google Earth it does look as though it may have been lifted further down but that may well just be a trick of the light or where it has got overgrown. Probably that the left hand track benefits from a Network Rail weedkiller train but presumably this right track is now privately owned?

I can see how it gives access to the large sidings at the far end of the works but most trains I have seen go straight in/out of the works by the Great Rocks box. Can anyone confirm if this track is still used regularly and how it is used please?

post-8314-0-98560500-1534931302_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-45944800-1534931316_thumb.jpg

Edited by highpeakman

• RMweb Premium

Looking along the old Midland main line track pair from Great Rocks, the old down(?) track is somewhat overgrown compared to the well used left line out to Topley Dale and back to Buxton. I know this track connects back into the other end of the works sidings after the first tunnel and It does look as if it it still used - it appears shiny on these pics. However, on Google Earth it does look as though it may have been lifted further down but that may well just be a trick of the light or where it has got overgrown. Probably that the left hand track benefits from a Network Rail weedkiller train but presumably this right track is now privately owned?

I can see how it gives access to the large sidings at the far end of the works but most trains I have seen go straight in/out of the works by the Great Rocks box. Can anyone confirm if this track is still used regularly and how it is used please?

I don't think it's used very regularly.

I was lucky enough to see it traversed a few weeks ago as there was a STOP board on the line on the right that has the HIA hoppers in your first pic.

I'll try and find my pictures of it later.

Cheers,

Mick

I haven't been down to Great Rocks for a good while now so hopefully Mick's photos will confirm. I have often wondered if this line was owned by Tarmac up to the shunt signal post so maybe the lack of weedkiller confirms this.

In the past this line was only used by loaded trains leaving Tunstead towards Great Rocks Jnc and empties were routed via the reception sidings where you can see the HIAs going in. At some point in the past ten or so years - maybe since the reception sidings were altered along with the new cement loading shed, loaded trains have been routed via the reception sidings on occasion as well.

I can recall being caught out by a class 60 taking out the Northwich via the reception sidings whilsy I was stood on top of the hill above GR tunnel. Still made for a good photo though.

HTH Paul

• RMweb Gold

In the past this line was only used by loaded trains leaving Tunstead towards Great Rocks Jnc and empties were routed via the reception sidings where you can see the HIAs going in. At some point in the past ten or so years - maybe since the reception sidings were altered along with the new cement loading shed, loaded trains have been routed via the reception sidings on occasion as well.

Thanks. That would make sense.

• RMweb Premium

As promised a couple posts back.

3 June 2018 (1920 on a Sunday evening)

After a few minutes converstaion between signalman and driver, 66607 heads down the "loop line" towards Tunstead Quarry.

post-408-0-65068100-1534974840_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

some shots from me at Peak Forest, of July 5th 2018 around 18.00:

post-10919-0-67871500-1535181877_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-38563700-1535181921_thumb.jpg

post-10919-0-35510600-1535181982_thumb.jpg

a glorious evening, and the next day I was up at the ELR enjoying some more 'heritage traction' at the July diesel gala!

cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
  • Like 7