A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Louville Lane

Entry sent off and enquires being made about baseboards;

Layout Name: Louville Lane (provisionally)

Size: Scenic board 5ft x2ft

Fiddle yard 3ft6x2ft

Scale 00 peco code 75 track

Desciption: Front and lower part Diesel stabling point, Upper part parcels platform and bay platform (Bitsa station)

Rationale: The GWR did rebuild not only Paignton station before WW2 but combined it with Torquay making a new multiplatform station Torbay Central.

Why the provisional name; I spent several Holidays in the early 50s in the Louville Caravan park behind Goodrington Sands.

Time period: 1963-65 Green and maroon Hydraulics.

Plans if you've not seen them in my Kingsbridge Regis Thread

1st a quarter scale model when it was 6ft long with long radius points

post-7090-0-68430400-1496745699_thumb.jpg

Now contracted to 5ft using medium points

post-7090-0-39132900-1496745762_thumb.jpg

Full size plan

post-7090-0-57270600-1496745816_thumb.jpg

and a couple of photos of the parcels and bay area hopefully showing hoe the bitsa station idea works.

post-7090-0-52459200-1496745924_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-93469200-1496745940_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-83192600-1496745960_thumb.jpg

Building will start in the early autumn, so for the time being there may not be many posts.

Edited by westerner
  • Like 7

I have now ordered two boards from Tim Horn which should be ready at the beginning of August. Then I can begin and I hope it will turn out as it looks in my mind.

Excellent choice of baseboards. Easy to assemble and perfectly flat and true. I use some trestles from B&Q for legs, cheap and easy and fuller adjustable.

I see some people are well on their way with their cameos, mine won't be started until the end of August/early September after the dismantling of Kingsbridge. I will take some photographs of the new baseboards when I get them in early August.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alan,

Just found your new thread, I like the look of this one. All the best with the build. Sad to see Kingsbridge Regis go but as go say if you feel the need to move on then it's best. 

All the Best Peter.

• 1 month later...

I've just been in touch with Tim Horn and my baseboards will be ready at the end of the month, so I better get started on clearing Kingsbridge ready to dismantle it and redecorate the room before erecting the new baseboards. At least now I have an incentive to get on with it. Unfortunately I am away for much of the time before I pick up the new boards, so I will be working quite hard.

• 3 weeks later...

I fetched the new baseboards from Tim Horn this morning, their very good and excellent value. In the next week it is hoped that Kingsbridge will be dismantled decorating begun and the new boards taken from the garage to the railway room.

The fiddleyard board

post-7090-0-54643300-1504101744_thumb.jpg

The scenic board

post-7090-0-42232900-1504101771_thumb.jpg

the underside of the scenic board

post-7090-0-61174200-1504101815_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid to say still no start on the building of the layout as I am still clearing the cupboards. I decided the least used (possibly never used again?) stuff could go in the garage. Great Idea, BUT  ............................................................................................................. there was no room, so this led to clearing the rubbish out of the garage, more trips to the dump. However one good thing came out of it. In the rafters were some old Habitat flat pack bookshelf sides from our previous house in London, and the shelves but I wasn't sure I had the special brackets that held the shelves in place. 20 minutes into the clear out I came across a large plastic tub buried by old clothes and packets of sandpaper and in it were the clips, ALL of them. Brilliant it means I should be able to get rid of at least two if not all three of the remaining cupboards giving much more space in the railway room giving it a neater look when work finally gets under way with the build.

What this delay has given me is plenty of time to reflect on the track plan and I feel that there may be a couple of minor changes. The basics will still be the same with the refuelling yard on the lower level and the "bias" station on the higher level.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A very small start.

The holes for locos to exit the layout for the fiddle yard have been cut.

post-7090-0-27883100-1508248806_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-08750300-1508248821_thumb.jpg

I've also managed to get the old bookshelves down from the garage roof and given them a bit of a dust and also washed the thirteen shelves that go with them. I think I might be able to get rid of all the cupboards, which will make the railway room look bigger and tidier. I'll know that when the re-decoration has taken place nearer Christmas and I can begin to lay out the room as I want it.

• Like 4

No progress on layout but I have just taken delivery of an 08 shunter to act as the pilot for the station/parcels part of the layout courtesy of Hattons second hand dept. It runs nicely and already had the wire goalpost couplings I use on my other locos and it is lightly weathered.

post-7090-0-50790300-1508591781_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-56181400-1508591798_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-02958000-1508591814_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Today another very small step. I glued down the cork that will cover the yard on the scenic section.

I will be using wire in the tube point control buried in the cork and operated by a SPDT slide switch which will operate the polarity of the frog. A slight problem, I'm finding it difficult to source said switches which can be screwed into the baseboard top. Anybody any idea of a source please.

Reading the Mercontrol site I'm not sure that will work for me as they recommend drilling a hole near the pip on the tie bar, I would much prefer to use the hole that Peco have already put in the centre of the tie bar. So it may be brass rod and tube. Any thoughts.

• RMweb Premium

Today another very small step. I glued down the cork that will cover the yard on the scenic section.

I will be using wire in the tube point control buried in the cork and operated by a SPDT slide switch which will operate the polarity of the frog. A slight problem, I'm finding it difficult to source said switches which can be screwed into the baseboard top. Anybody any idea of a source please.

Reading the Mercontrol site I'm not sure that will work for me as they recommend drilling a hole near the pip on the tie bar, I would much prefer to use the hole that Peco have already put in the centre of the tie bar. So it may be brass rod and tube. Any thoughts.

Cut off the pip and drill a hole in its place?

My 2p2w centre off switches came from China a couple of years ago. (From We Honest . com)!

I mounted them under the baseboard, with the push rods operated from either side. Works ok without any tube.

Can be seen in early posts on A Cartoon of Helstonish.

All the best

Cut off the pip and drill a hole in its place?

Assuming Peco turnouts, If you cut the pip off the tie bar with a sharp knife you should find it leaves a small hole. 

Edited by tender

Thanks chaps, but I think you are misunderstanding what I want to do. I am wondering if using the Mercontrol wire and tubing whether I can use the hole in the middle of the tiebar that Peco provide. Remember the track is on 3mm cork and a slot for the tube will be cut into it, so there is no need to use the outside of the tiebar which ideally I would like to cut off.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A long time ago I used wire in tube into the Peco centre tiebar hole. I was using surface mounted tube so just stopped the tube clear of the points. If you bury in the cork, you can run the tube part way under the points. I dont think you will have any trouble: could you do a test run to see?

CPC (Farnell) do slide switches and post free for orders over £5.

Paul.

Hi Guys....Will watch this with interest....I am also investigating using Mercontrol for throwing my points.....this method used all those years ago when we had a family layout.....

Cheers...all the best....

Bob

• RMweb Gold

For switches, and wire-in-tube (piano wire in brass tubes) I've used these : https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/double-pole-sub-miniature-fh35q

I secure the tube ends nearest the switch with electrical choc blocks - helps when needing to adjust the tube to get the correct over-centre positioning. 

One other experience - keep the wire as close to the underside of the tie-bar as possible - there is less chance of the wire 'unbending' at the angle when pulled.

Many thanks for the advice Stu. Switches are now sorted, I'm still gathering bits and pieces before starting. This will be my first effort at wiring the frogs etc and wire and tube operation. My previous layouts have had "digital" point operation, i.e. my forefinger.

So Louville is presenting new challenges, semi industrial setting, wired points operated from the edge of the baseboard.Ho hum I hope I can carry it off.

• Like 1