A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Louville Lane

As promised some photos of concreted area.

The first one with no shed or refuelling point

post-7090-0-07979600-1533919609_thumb.jpg

same position with buildings back and locos

post-7090-0-38558200-1533919685_thumb.jpg

and a more ground level one

post-7090-0-78559000-1533919729_thumb.jpg

The concrete obviously need s some weathering, but as it would have only been there a couple of years or so I must be careful not to overdo it, which I feel might be all to easy. Unfortunately at the moment with it being so pale it looks better in real life than in the photos.

Edited by westerner
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away for more than a week so no work done. At the moment I'm girding my loins for a large push to get it finished. I heard today from Tim Horn that the back and side board extensions are ready foe me to pick up, which will be sometime next week. With them in place I can really start thinking about and planning the back scene. I'll be picking up another Warship this evening, a maroon one, which leaves me with a slight problem do I extend the period to late 1965 or repaint it. Again more thinking required. Ho-Hum the joys of railway modelling!!!!

• RMweb Premium

I've been away for more than a week so no work done. At the moment I'm girding my loins for a large push to get it finished. I heard today from Tim Horn that the back and side board extensions are ready foe me to pick up, which will be sometime next week. With them in place I can really start thinking about and planning the back scene. I'll be picking up another Warship this evening, a maroon one, which leaves me with a slight problem do I extend the period to late 1965 or repaint it. Again more thinking required. Ho-Hum the joys of railway modelling!!!!

Extend the period. Maroon Warships always look good.

I have been reading this and your previous layouts postings with long standing interest. All brilliant and inspiring work  Looking back  to Post 135. which shows your Hymek with a stencil shedcode by the drivers door and a TOPS panel on the cabside which puts it in post 1968 livery so your period is already extended. Observational only, no criticism at all. Rule 1 applies.  For me the mention of more colour in Post 182 suggests having 2 periods to ring the changes. Bring on some blue syp Westerns.  Please.   :sungum:

Edited by brainh

visited Tim Horn yesterday to pick up the extensions for the back scene and side pieces to make them square as to the original design. At the moment ply pieces haave been glued to act as cleats for the new pieces to be glued in place. this will happen tomorrow when there should be some photos. When that is done I can think very seriously about the back scene itself. I'm thinking of painting it on very heavy lining paper with emulsion paint or acrylics. the advantage of using the lining paper is that it is relatively cheap so if the first effoet is not to my liking I can do it again at little cost.

As promised a couple of photos of the new back scene addition.

firstly the attachment cleats glued in place

post-7090-0-74636400-1535718407_thumb.jpg

Finally the new addition itself in place

post-7090-0-92302500-1535718689_thumb.jpg

This raises the back by just over 3 inches making the back scene some 15 inches high and the total height of the layout from track level 18inches

post-7090-0-74636400-1535718407_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-92302500-1535718689_thumb.jpg

Edited by westerner
  • Like 5

I have experimented with adding a paper building n the far corner as part of the rest of the station buildings A slightly scaled down photo of the parcels office. I'm assuming they would have been built at the same time so they would be as one so to speak.

post-7090-0-61009700-1535922307_thumb.jpg

I am thinking about chopping a bit off the Grand Hotel so that there would be a road going to the Parcels office. A personal hate of mine is when there appears to be no way vehicles can get to a place they are meant to be.

A couple of photos of the new addition to the loco fleet Warship (note Clive NOT class42, after all the layout is Pre TOPS, I'll have to do something about the Hymeck). She needs some light weathering and she may change her name and number.

1st alongside Western Queen.

post-7090-0-89702400-1535922679_thumb.jpg

and a personal portrait.

post-7090-0-81398200-1535922722_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I must say the truffle looks divine, Darling.........

Sorry Alan. All went a bit Laurence Llewelyn Bowen there for a moment ....

For a moment?  :jester:

Alan, this is all looking superb and I particularly like the overall urban feel to the place and the weathering on the locos is excellent.

• RMweb Premium

For a moment?  :jester:

Alan, this is all looking superb and I particularly like the overall urban feel to the place and the weathering on the locos is excellent.

I agree captain , the Westerner chap can do urban as well as pretty looking Devon countryside.

I have experimented with adding a paper building n the far corner as part of the rest of the station buildings A slightly scaled down photo of the parcels office. I'm assuming they would have been built at the same time so they would be as one so to speak.

attachicon.gifbackscene addition.jpg

I am thinking about chopping a bit off the Grand Hotel so that there would be a road going to the Parcels office. A personal hate of mine is when there appears to be no way vehicles can get to a place they are meant to be.

A couple of photos of the new addition to the loco fleet Warship (note Clive NOT class42, after all the layout is Pre TOPS, I'll have to do something about the Hymeck). She needs some light weathering and she may change her name and number.

1st alongside Western Queen.

attachicon.giffoxhound 1.jpg

and a personal portrait.

attachicon.giffoxhound 2.jpg

Alan

Warships is Warships never class 42 or class 43 even after September 1968.  :rtfm:  Goodness gracious we have been calling our diesels and electrics by silly numbers for 50 years. :swoon:

The Warship looks right at home.

An alternative to the paper office in the corner might be an archway leading into a courtyard, though admittedly it would still benefit from a backscene behind. I'm thinking something like at Chester where there is an ornate archway between the Station and the Queen Hotel (former horse & carriage landing etc):

http://www.chestertourist.com/hotels_queen_parking.htm

Just a thought...

Martyn.

Another loco has been added to "the Lane" a Heljan Maroon D1010 Western Campaigner, well that 's what it will become. Second hand from Hattons as Western Queen, but with an unopened pack of etched number/name plates for D1010 and all the bits. The only "damage is a the glazing from one of the route indicator boxes. Easy to knock up. It does run beautifully and looks unused. I'll post photos when I've added the bits and nameplates etc.

• Like 2

As promised a photo of D1010 Western Campaigner Now obviously renamed and the bits fitted on the front.

post-7090-0-78235800-1536500345_thumb.jpg

So that is now three locos that need weathering, Sprightly, Foxhound (to be renamed Royal Naval Reserve 1859-1959) and now Western Campaigner.

Also had a quick play around with Stubby's idea of having the road to the Parcels area coming under the background buildings. I still might lop off a bit of the Hotel though. I did by using a photo and modifying it and creating the tunnel and outing a Scamell down it.

post-7090-0-97930000-1536500672_thumb.jpg

If I do decide to use it  will need much more work on the photo

• Like 8

I thought it was about time to see how and if the back scene could be accommodated. As mentioned before the idea is to use very heavy lining paper. So I cut a sheet 9ft 6 inches x 15 inches and started to play. The idea was that I had left a slot at the back of the layout for the back scene to slot down into. DOOOOOOOH I had put there were places that I had not. so these were marked and the paper was cut to get round my offending stupidity. Second time it all seemed to work. So there is hope when this becomes the template for the real back scene it will work. I am wondering how to stick it down whether with wallpaper paste or diluted PVA or even spray mount. At the moment it is held with clips. In the mean time I'll leave it up to allow me to sketch a few ideas.

post-7090-0-03543500-1536679998_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-18905500-1536680023_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-20301800-1536680038_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

After much cogitation and even more indolence I decided to play around with the short canopy linking the platform canopy to the parcels office. At the moment still needs a few more roof supports and nothing is stuck together at the moment. the block of wood is to give some idea of height before I make the uprights.

post-7090-0-01522900-1537471267_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-00186100-1537471280_thumb.jpg

post-7090-0-63873400-1537471291_thumb.jpg

As you have probably guessed it will made from a carved up Dapol station canopy kit.

• Like 6