Leahurst Green - Suburban terminus and EMU stabling point set in SE London 1990-1994.

Stevethomas6444

If you're having issues fitting in a fiddle yard as currently designed, may I suggest either a sector plate, or a cassette yard. You'll probably find it easier with the multiple units, as you won't have to keep taking them on and off the track as much as with a traditional or sector plate yard.

Hope this helps, Chris

Thanks Chris, it is an idea that I've been looking into :) 

An update, it has been a while (again!). 

Slowly getting stuff ready for the layout, this ranges from track/points to platform edging. It seems to be easier rather than buying it in bulk then feel the hit on the wallet :)

In other news, I thought it was a good idea to build the layout on cheap pasting tables that have been strengthened but alas it was to no avail and it still sagged and warped and wasn't going to last long term. The pictures below shows evidently why. 

The old setup in the new hobby room, the pasting tables were scrapped on Sunday as they did warp too much. Only one section was saved as a workbench area.

post-18537-0-05267900-1513096730_thumb.jpg

No chance!  :no:

post-18537-0-57615100-1513096951_thumb.jpg

I've decided to actually invest in proper baseboards and will order two in a kit form from White Rose Model Works. A good sturdy board would mean it will last a long time and although expensive, it should be worthwhile :) The size of the layout has increased with the new room, it will now be 12ft x 45cm. 

One last thing, I now have a little class 08 Shunter. 08600 'Ivor' in NSE livery, a wonderful little locomotive :)

post-18537-0-11878700-1513097402_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Steve

Have you thought about using Tim Horn's laser cut boards?

http://www.timhorn.co.uk/

They are very nicely made, easy to put together and reasonably priced. My son is using some of his standard range on his new layout, see link below. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123673-severnside-recycling/

I have changed the name of the layout for several reasons to Leahurst Green, as a spiritual successor to my previous layout Leahurst Road. 

The name change has come about after a few weeks of thinking it over, I feel as though Downham could easily be mistaken for the market town in East Anglia and I do believe there is another layout that shares the same name. 

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas has been and gone! Got some lovely presents, no loco's or units this year but more rolling stock and stuff for the layout :) 

I've been setting out rough track plans on the hobby room floor to see what works out best and the original plan based on Addiscombe was laid out. Operating it was interesting with plenty to do and hours went by before the other half told me that I've been in my room nearly all day!  :nono:  That to me, is what I want in a layout and now that I've tried and tested the original plan and feel most happy with it, I've decided to go ahead on that. 

The photo below shows the rough track plan, it will be slightly different on the layout but it works perfect for me :) 

post-18537-0-06368100-1514317533_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Christmas has been and gone! Got some lovely presents, no loco's or units this year but more rolling stock and stuff for the layout :) 

I've been setting out rough track plans on the hobby room floor to see what works out best and the original plan based on Addiscombe was laid out. Operating it was interesting with plenty to do and hours went by before the other half told me that I've been in my room nearly all day!  :nono:  That to me, is what I want in a layout and now that I've tried and tested the original plan and feel most happy with it, I've decided to go ahead on that. 

The photo below shows the rough track plan, it will be slightly different on the layout but it works perfect for me :) 

attachicon.gif26145650_1486221398165118_572072661_o.jpg

I like the look of this, will the shed have the ghost installed? Addiscombe shed was long rumoured to be haunted.

Andi (Who used to drive trains into Addiscombe on occasions)

An update: 

I had a setback on Wednesday regarding my job as a signaller. Long story short, the pressure of training was a bit too much for me and I crumbled at the final hurdle and that is when it was decided that it isn't for me right now. I am gutted as I was really looking forward to a new career on the railway but maybe for another time perhaps! Thankfully I still got my PCV licence and shouldn't be out of a job long :) 

Despite the setback, I've made a final draft of the plan for Leahurst Green. I've tried and tested the track plan on the floor and it works well from an operations point of view. I just need to replace the double slip crossover as it was bought second hand and it is really worn out. I've also decided to scratchbuild the carriage shed because it'll be cheaper than any of the offerings from Bachmann or Hornby (80 quid is ridiculous). 

Track plan below: 

post-18537-0-59162800-1514549109_thumb.png

The fiddle yard is basic and is subject to change, the reason behind it is cost saving and using as much material I have now on this. Also it saves the cost of buying another controller (for now!). The dimensions will be 12ft x 18inches. 

• 2 months later...

It has been a while since the last update! I have been busy with bus driving once again, it is only temporary until I find a job that has a better work/life balance (wishful thinking perhaps?  :scratchhead:). Finances were a bit tight but is certainly recovering and early next month means that I can *finally* start layout construction (how many times have I said that already?). 

Baseboard will be plywood/hardwood with a frame that will be supported by six Ikea 'Lerberg' trestles that should be at a comfortable height. I did have a look at baseboard kits but the prices for the size I want is too prohibitive. 

Laid out the track plan on the floor once again and noticed that I can, at a push, run 6 car unit or a loco+5 coaches. Unit wise, I doubt I'll run 6 car formations with the stock I have unless I couple 2 MLV's to the VEP for a Kent Coast service?  :scratchhead:  Otherwise it'll be good for specials and railtours that will no doubt make an appearance :)

• 1 month later...

It has been a looooong time since the last update! For those that might have the misfortune of following me on Twitter, you may know that Leahurst Green is now at a good stage of construction :)  I haven't put any updates on here due to the computer being problematic but now that it is partly fixed, I can post updates a bit more often. 

Started construction just over 3 weeks ago when I purchased three 4x2 Plywood boards with timber framing, this is the first attempt at building a ''proper'' baseboard and it has actually gone well! The layout rests on 4 Ikea 'Lerberg' trestles, an idea I got from a fellow railway modeller on Twitter and the overall construction is sturdy - much to the surprise that I actually did it!  :boast: 

Track laying was a pain in the rear as the Peco track pins are flimsy and many decided to buckle even though I was tapping them gently with a hobby hammer. After 3 days of swearing and quite a few track pins on the floor, the track was finally laid. Prior to track laying, I sprayed the track with RailMatch Sleeper Grime to give it a more realistic look without the tedious task of painting the rails in a rust colour. You may notice that I used Peco trap points for the Platform roads, this is simply to avoid wiring in isolating sections for the double slip and it works quite nicely :)

post-18537-0-51218500-1525694689_thumb.jpg

Next up is the 3 road carriage shed. The basis will be Balsa Wood construction and then eventually be covered with corrugated iron sheets. 

post-18537-0-48064200-1525694826_thumb.jpg

The scenic break will be a footbridge in a heavily wooded area (They do exist in SE London! ;) ). The footbridge is a Ratio kit which I found to be more suitable for the setting. I almost opted for a road bridge but having done a few in the past and never been overly happy with them, I opted for a simple footbridge instead. I also purchased Bachmann's Kent Coast signal box which was a bargain and looks more suitable than the tiny Hornby SB that I will use for a future project. 

post-18537-0-57940400-1525694987_thumb.jpg

Station platform is Balsa Wood construction with Peco edges. The terminus end is from the Capital Commuter train pack, I like to re-use as much as possible from previous projects and what not. Hattons did a bargain on Bachmann low-relief flats and couldn't say no to it as it will help with the SE London setting. 

post-18537-0-53576000-1525695235_thumb.jpg

post-18537-0-24934500-1525695408_thumb.jpg

At this moment in time, I have ballasted the Platform 1 road and aim to get the rest done slowly. 

post-18537-0-22733300-1525695499_thumb.jpg

That is all for now :) 

• Like 5

Hello Mike, 

I've ballasted before adding 3rd rail on my first layout, Chalk Lane and had no problems with it :) I've added some 3rd rail on this one from the spares I had from a previous layout but not added any more until I get more code 60 rail. 

• 3 weeks later...

First time in a while that I have decent time off work. I knew going back to bus driving was going to consume my life but not on this scale! Anyway! 2 weeks off and have been making some progress on Leahurst Green :) 

Scenic break now in place. This will either be painted or have a backscene fitted in the future. 

post-18537-0-60148200-1527618254_thumb.jpg

Work is slowly progressing on the carriage shed with one wall now covered with corrugated iron sheets and weathered. Next will be to figure out how to do a pitched roof! 

post-18537-0-14910000-1527618242_thumb.jpg

The area near the signal box will be a bus parking area for a nearby bus station. 

post-18537-0-40873300-1527618265_thumb.jpg

Spent today ballasting 70% of the layout, it was a horrible task but it's worthwhile. It is now drying and I hope it sets right.

post-18537-0-86600400-1527618285_thumb.jpg

While running the trains last night, I failed to notice a rather large obstruction on the line....... 

post-18537-0-47839600-1527618278_thumb.jpg