Bachmann's Best Ever Models

Hilux5972

...limited coverage... If only they made a Q6, B16, J21, G5, J27...

But do we measure 'geographical coverage' in territorial area, route mileage,  population, or spending power?

I very much hope that models like the Q6 and Coal tank sell in such quantity that the retailers realise the sadly neglected potential of the NER and LNWR to the extent of influencing the RTR business' subject choices: and maybe enough to suggest the 'joined together thinking' that these lines led on to Scotland...

But do we measure 'geographical coverage' in territorial area, route mileage,  population, or spending power?

I very much hope that models like the Q6 and Coal tank sell in such quantity that the retailers realise the sadly neglected potential of the NER and LNWR to the extent of influencing the RTR business' subject choices: and maybe enough to suggest the 'joined together thinking' that these lines led on to Scotland...

Bachmann, 30th April 2014:

A loco, for example the Q6, which has limited geographical usage and livery variation is unlikely to attract sufficient buyers".

Looking back it was spin as I think they had a heads up that someone else might be doing the Raven 0-8-0. This just happened to crop up in a press release at the time, obviously put out there to silence chatter about Barwell doing the Q6. As I didn't know I responded by putting a case, rather succinctly, that such a statement was pretty much rubbish!

However, given the quote, its cheeky fun to make reference to it whenever a Bachmann engine crops up as to why or why not it should be made....

• Like 1

To be fair,

It would be better to highlight any " dogs " as 99.9% of the Bachmann stuff is fantastic.

I have no experience of the steamies, but the 37s are great ( after they sorted out the first shape ),47s do the job ( dodgy rivets and pain in the butt cabside clips excepted ). 66 is a 12 year old tooling now but still holds up well.

Wagons are excellent - i love my polybulks , and not forgetting the inspection saloon....

I always feel bachy are like Ford or Vauxhall , churning out the stuff we need day in day out. Customer support seems good and the collectors club is a bargain .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To be fair,

It would be better to highlight any " dogs " as 99.9% of the Bachmann stuff is fantastic.

I have no experience of the steamies, but the 37s are great ( after they sorted out the first shape ),47s do the job ( dodgy rivets and pain in the butt cabside clips excepted ). 66 is a 12 year old tooling now but still holds up well.

Wagons are excellent - i love my polybulks , and not forgetting the inspection saloon....

I always feel bachy are like Ford or Vauxhall , churning out the stuff we need day in day out. Customer support seems good and the collectors club is a bargain .

Which, sadly, makes Hornby British Leyland...

As for dogs, GW Toad brakevan; should have been retooled from scratch years ago.  Not much else, to be fair, though...

• 1 month later...

I have taken a great interest in Bachmann 00 RTR steam models and have enjoyed reading this thread from time to time, and being like many others who have remained silent, unable to choose a 'best ever' model from their range, it is so good!

At first I thought the LMS Compound, but then I was reminded of the sheer excellent of the BR Class 4 2-6-0, unloved though it is, as a model it is stunning. Then the Patriot is so good, with its etched deflectors,  but for now I will plump for the 9F.

I think the Jubilee misses out because of small detail omissions like under-cab piping and injectors, and the Peppercorn A1 and A2 because of cab-floor running plate droop, very small things to be sure. Mind you I have just bought a weathered lined black early 'British Railways' Jubilee and think it marvellous!

At the suggestion of the thread initiator I offer my edited pic of a 9F from New England 34E shed, double-chimney 92185 with a short and inglorious BR life from 1/1958 to c1964.

post-7929-0-40596200-1503008999_thumb.jpg

Now to pick the nicest version of the LMS or Midland Compound...   and not be diverted by the very very good Standard Class 5 4-6-0!

Edit; here below not one but two Midland Compounds, looking stunning in proper Midland style.... 14 heavy carriages, no trouble up Camden Bank for a single Precursor according to some LNWR drivers... :)

post-7929-0-14431300-1503010691_thumb.jpg

And to finish, a split-chassis Royal Scot which with a few details added by editing has a certain charm. The box for the model is lovely too!

Didn't North British and the men from the LMS do well!

post-7929-0-80917700-1503010941_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann have managed to produce so many great models in my book. Such as the Super D, all the Midland engines plus many others. But for me the Ex-LMS Patriot in BR green as to be the best. Just love that model. And may end up getting a second just because.

Edited by farren

Bachmann have managed to produce so many great models in my book. Such as the Super D, all the Midland engines plus many others. But for me the Ex-LMS Patriot in BR green as to be the best. Just love that model. And may end up getting a second just because

I fully agree, though LMS crimson is my preference if forced.

post-7929-0-10940700-1503022243_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-58827000-1503022263_thumb.jpg

The ex-LNWR G2a and S&D Fowler 7F are both great too.

post-7929-0-00247700-1503022365_thumb.jpg 

post-7929-0-68815200-1503021991_thumb.jpg

But we must not forget the overlooked Standard 4MT 2-6-4T., if there are any left which have not had details bodged or broken-off!

post-7929-0-31983000-1503022648_thumb.jpg

And as mentioned before, the Class 4 2-6-0....

post-7929-0-25414800-1503022782_thumb.jpg

cheers,

• Like 10

...The ex-LNWR G2a and S&D Fowler 7F...

I really thought that by now they would have 'found their way' to the Austin 7 (Fowler 7F 0-8-0) or an L&Y 0-8-0 to round out the indigenous LMS heavy freight types.

...But we must not forget the overlooked Standard 4MT 2-6-4T., if there are any left which have not had details bodged or broken-off!

Good though this model is, my heart was taken by the later introduction of the Fairburn 2-6-4T, and that's the one I have retained to represent the whole development of the LMS to BR 2-6-4T series of large tank locos.  Same effective representation of character, with some selected bogie and truck fouling detail omitted; much simpler construction for getting the body off and back onto the mechanism, runs sweetly with traction in the 7F class. It's an occasional 'visitor' to my BR(ER) operation, and always a popular guest.

• Like 4

Good though this model is, my heart was taken by the later introduction of the Fairburn 2-6-4T, and that's the one I have retained to represent the whole development of the LMS to BR 2-6-4T series of large tank locos.  Same effective representation of character, with some selected bogie and truck fouling detail omitted; much simpler construction for getting the body off and back onto the mechanism, runs sweetly with traction in the 7F class. It's an occasional 'visitor' to my BR(ER) operation, and always a popular guest.

Having just received a used LMS version of the Fairburn (2691) I have to agree that it's a superb model. Loads of detail and enough weight to haul any load I care to couple. Very smooth runner and really looks the part too.  (I still think the 3F is their best though :onthequiet: )

Graeme

Having just received a used LMS version of the Fairburn (2691) I have to agree that it's a superb model. Loads of detail and enough weight to haul any load I care to couple. Very smooth runner and really looks the part too.  (I still think the 3F is their best though :onthequiet: )

Graeme

I too have had an excellent Fairburn LMS model, superb, perfect runner, but I still have a soft spot for the Riddles version, probably because of the Hornby Dublo effect when I was a child! It is amusing and instructive to look closely at second-hand offerings of these latter models, few appear to be undamaged.

Here is 80152 built in 2/1957 and it lasted to the end of Southern Region steam on 9/7/1967 ...

post-7929-0-32085600-1503098245_thumb.jpg

edit; picture edited.

cheers,

Edited by robmcg

The SECR fully lined Class for me. It stopped me dead in my tracks and was enough to convince me on what I really wanted to collect. No other model has had such an impact on me. I also think that although it's far from being the first pre-group liveried model it's the one that has galvanised the notion of RTR pre-group liveried models, which is now gaining a little more momentum.

When it arrived it was like a blanket had dropped over the hobby and there was bit of a hushed sense of awe when folks first saw it, that lasted all of about three seconds, before the first chorus of 'corr blimey, not my thing but I'm going to buy it anyway'!

Edited by Anglian
  • Like 1

The SECR fully lined Class for me. It stopped me dead in my tracks and was enough to convince me on what I really wanted to collect. No other model has had such an impact on me. I also think that although it's far from being the first pre-group liveried model it's the one that has galvanised the notion of RTR pre-group liveried models, which is now gaining a little more momentum.

When it arrived it was like a blanket had dropped over the hobby and there was bit of a hushed sense of awe when folks first saw it, that lasted all of about three seconds, before the first chorus of 'corr blimey, not my thing but I'm going to buy it anyway'!

I fully agree and wish I had bought one!   I wonder how the Hornby SECR H class 0-4-4T will go?   Oops, thread drift into red box area!

I must find an SECR fully-lined 0-6-0 to photograph.... I would pay up to, well, 12/6d for a clean tidy unmarked unopened SECR C class.

post-7929-0-06617000-1503172890_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With the exception of the toad van, I think Bachmann have tried (and mostly) succeeded with some first rate kit.

What makes things interesting is Hornby catching up fast, with a vengeance.

Some others, like DJM & Heljan, seem to have hit the ground running.

Oh Oxford, where are you? I'd thought you'd be kicking the others to steal their market share. I'd thought I'd be knee-deep in panniers, B-sets and saddle tanks. Instead....

Now, if those nice Bachmann people would stop sticking that pesky top fed on their panniers, I would unhesitatingly vote for Bachmann's finest model.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Did anyone one else find the Ivat 4 a right flaming pig to get into? Ended up breaking a stud were the screw fits into! And so ended building a new one.

Edited by farren

• RMweb Premium

Did anyone one else find the Ivat 4 a right flaming pig to get into? Ended up breaking a stud were the screw fits into! And so ended building a new one.

I've never managed to get into it!  I'd very much like to give it some oil ... 

Did anyone one else find the Ivatt 4 a right flaming pig to get into? ....

I've never managed to get into it!  I'd very much like to give it some oil ... 

Think that there was general concurrence on this aspect, judging by the online comment around the time of release. Probably have to look for content on RMweb archive, as we are talking more than 10 years ago.

Two significant problems.

On the first releases the injector pipework representations running down from the body were cemented into the injector mouldings mounted on the mechanism. Nothing for it but to pull or cut them apart, as required by how well the cement held. That was fixed from the second group of releases.

And then there are the very tight fits between the mechanism casting and the footplate casting on which the body is assembled. To achieve daylight between boiler and frames, the mechanism casting has two upstands, which are close fits through matching apertures in the footplate casting on which the body is assembled. All the examples I have had to work on, have been stubborn to release the first time. The mechanism needs to come straight down out of the body in order not to bind. What's more when assembled the paint on these close fitting parts tends to stick, and so has to be broken apart at first dismantling. Patience and much wiggling, using the drawbar to help lever the back end down a little, then push that back in and assault the front by holding the cylinders to break out that end. Not yet broken anything and have tackled at least five! Once wrestled apart I have taken a file to the concealed interior contacting surfaces for a more 'free and easy' fit should future access be required...

Good looking model and runs well which is compensation.