Bachmann's Best Ever Models

Hilux5972

37 is way better than the 47...

Earlier 47s had unneeded rivet detail, bogies with 57 detail, oversize headlight, marker lights......

And to this day they keep cocking up the fuel tanks,,,,,that being said I have a few and they run great. But they are more Lidl than Waitrose to my mind

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...

Today I'll nominate the Bachmann D11/2.  My late BR version flew off the tray on my lap, described an arc 4 feet in the air and landed on a hard tile floor.

'In bits', I thought, but no, the only visible damage was a bent front buffer, and it still runs perfectly.

Try that with a Hornby Schools or T9 or anything recent from a red box. :)

post-7929-0-90779200-1526776732_thumb.jpg

Today I'll nominate the Bachmann D11/2.  My late BR version flew off the tray on my lap, described an arc 4 feet in the air and landed on a hard tile floor.

'In bits', I thought, but no, the only visible damage was a bent front buffer, and it still runs perfectly.

Try that with a Hornby Schools or T9 or anything recent from a red box. :)

attachicon.gifImg_9739a_r1200.jpg

Looks a bit like a brick with nothing much on it to fall off.

Looks a bit like a brick with nothing much on it to fall off.

That's a fair description of the build quality Gorton achieved with Robinson's designs. Yet more brick like, the closely related LNER class J11 from the same team. The model has this quality well represented, and is the type of smaller black workhorse for which I particularly value Bachmann's input to RTR OO.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A model about which little has been said recently, the Stanier LMS/BR Mogul ...   brilliantly detailed and beautifully photographed by Andy York  

post-7929-0-99228600-1528757202_thumb.jpg

It even has lubricator drive rods below the running board.

Pity about the valve gear eccentric being 'wrong way round',  but still very attractive. I was editing a picture of this lovely model to correct the valve gear thing when I noticed that the wheel profiles are quite different from the real thing...  or were there different types of wheel used?

The model has webbing between some spokes, the real thing appears in all the photos I have seen to have a bevelled profile towards the rim, like this...    pic edited by me from original by Andy York.

post-7929-0-87579900-1528757554_thumb.jpg

In any event a very impressive model,and as Stanier's first effort after joining the LMS in 1933 a very interesting mix of GWR and LMS Crab design.

Thanks to Andy York for the original pics,

cheers

edit; p.s.I note in looking at advertisers' pics that some of the valve gear eccentrics on these models have in fact the correct offset, e.g. Hattons 31-690 but it is complete luck, as with all Bachmann engines?

post-7929-0-44513500-1528768711.jpg

post-7929-0-06274400-1528768954_thumb.jpg

I guess it's nit-picking but valve gear is my 'fussy' thing. :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Bachmann Hall's cab scrub up quite well, though they can be indifferent runners..

4943 Marrington Hall reworked from Kinlet Hall

attachicon.gif4943_lhfan.jpg

5998 Trevor Hall reworked from Saint Edmund Hall

attachicon.gif5998_rh.jpg

Agree with comments regarding running qualities.It will be interesting to see how the forthcoming GW version in similar livery to your reincarnations performs.1945-48 is an interesting time to model......as Robin over on 'Brent' demonstrates.

... looking at my EPB/CEP/ Thumpers and 108/105s I am staggered how good these models are , surely deserving of mention here I would say ....

All they need is the running dirt adding to owner's taste. In my case it is the fine model of the Cravens (105) that were on KX suburban, very pleasing indeed. I can even laugh at the tendency of the cab windscreens to fall in; in reality the internal fittings of the motor cars came loose due to the excessive vibration.

Going slightly off-piste, the  fine models of the L1 from Hornby (very suitable for dragging a 'failed' Cravens set!) and EE type 2 (23) from Heljan, mean that Dapol have a high standard to match with the NBL type 2 (21), as the final member of the dread quartet which did so much to disgruntle those commuting on KX sub. in the late fifties and early sixties.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Agree with comments regarding running qualities.It will be interesting to see how the forthcoming GW version in similar livery to your reincarnations performs.1945-48 is an interesting time to model......as Robin over on 'Brent' demonstrates.

We seem to having been waiting an age for that Bachmann release.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice one of the few Bachmann steam models in regular production, and including very recently pristine No.92211 at £162 from box-shifters, is the great BR 9F 2-10-0...

a great model.  this is an earlier iteration with rather good factory weathering, in my humble opinion. (from a Hattons pic. thankyou Hattons)

.post-7929-0-71123800-1535224243_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is the one for me. Admittedly I'm tempted to go for their 'Big Hauler', which is a 1:22.5 4-6-0 Baldwin loosely based on the Tweetsie Railroad's #12 but as I doubt I'll ever have space for anything to go with it, the little WD Baldwin wins it. The 'Big Hauler' was something of a game changer for large scale narrow-gauge and I think the WD Baldwin will be a game changer for British outline OO9.391-025IMG_3956.jpg?preset=large

Edited by colin smith

An overlooked Bachmann model (BR std 4MT 2-6-4T)...

Possibly overshadowed by the later introduction of a model of the equally fine Fairburn 2-6-4T 'ancestor'? Just as handsome in looks and performance, and a much simpler assembly scheme when it comes to removing and replacing the body on the mechanism.

...BR 9F 2-10-0... a great model...

Now, if only Bachmann would put a hole in the drawbar at the correct spacing for loco to tender, and suitably reduce the intermediate buffer mouldings, the advertising pics could match the rest of what is on offer.

Given that it is a perennial favourite, might a competitor be some time tempted to launch a spaceship? A shallower cast block with applied etched frame plates should be possible, to improve on the Bach's one major weakness, not showing the top edges of the frame plating.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

We seem to having been waiting an age for that Bachmann release.

It's finally here and the green looks splendid to my eyes. The new release has a shed code printed on the side of the buffer beam, a first for a GWR RTR model ? and comes with etched plates for 4920.

post-126-0-50423200-1548094905_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Difficult choice. As I model the Midland section of the LMS, the Bachmann "small engine policy" suits my modelling needs. Love the 1F, 3F, Jinty, and G2 especially. The coal tank and 2-4-2 are also great models. Nearly forgot the Jubilee and Patriot, also great, and stunning in LMS red.

Only gripe is that they miss a few obvious great sellers. Compound in LMS red, 4F and 3F in LMS livery with Fowler tender would be top of my list.

I find the build quality great, cab detail amazing. They are well packed with good instructions. 

Another factor if you've never experienced it - rang their customer services for advice, and they were brilliant over the phone. So really good after sales.

• RMweb Gold

My vote goes to the 56xx.  Superb detail, superlative running, decent power, current spec has full cab detail, still good value for the price (cheaper than a 94xx).  My only minor grump with this model (i have 2 of them) is the moulded lamp irons on the bottom of the bunker, which seem particularly pointless as the others, at the top of the bunker and the front of the loco, are all separate blackened etched brass items, including two at the side of the smokebox for spare lamps.  As I replace them with my standard no.13 Rexel staple to mount Modelu or Springside lamps anyway, this is not a deal breaker!

It may help that the GW 56xx is about my favourite loco of all time anyway, of course...

• RMweb Gold

My vote goes to the 56xx.  Superb detail, superlative running, decent power, current spec has full cab detail, still good value for the price (cheaper than a 94xx).  My only minor grump with this model (i have 2 of them) is the moulded lamp irons on the bottom of the bunker, which seem particularly pointless as the others, at the top of the bunker and the front of the loco, are all separate blackened etched brass items, including two at the side of the smokebox for spare lamps.  As I replace them with my standard no.13 Rexel staple to mount Modelu or Springside lamps anyway, this is not a deal breaker!

It may help that the GW 56xx is about my favourite loco of all time anyway, of course...

I'd agree. For Western modellers, the 57-8750 panniers, and the 56xx just about hit the nail on the head by Bachmann. Both locomotives accurately portray just about any Welsh location to a tee. To their credit, Bachmann has appeared to poison their own chalice. After all, why buy the proposed locomotive (which we can't mention) when you can buy its earlier (and equally good) antecedents?  

Now, if Bachmann want to save money, stop making the generic Toad brake van. The Hornby product is much better in quality & fidelity in this case. The same goes for the same generic 7-plank wagon, done up in all sorts of fictitious liveries.

I don't want to knock Bachmann, but c'mon guys! You know you can do better!

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• 1 year later...

I post here because after many pages of Bachmann topics I still haven't found a thread about Bachmann 9F models, a list of them or experience of 9Fs... prices, qualities and so on.  Maybe I don't know how best to search on this forum? 

I love the several 9Fs I own, and would like to comment on them...  and read of others experiences.

Cheers