Rich Papper's Workbench - PHOTOS RESTORED

Rich Papper

• Tempfix

Good Afternoon

A little more class 119 tomfoolery this afternoon. Am starting to feel a little better about the project after spending some time doubting my sanity on the DMBC. 

DMSL has now had araldite inside the cab roof dome and around the corridor end join, then a thorough filing. So far looks like I've got away with altering the side profile of the cabs (ex Bachmann 108) to match the body (ex Hornby 110).

RMWB141.JPG.3c81c56f1b27c674d5731efec6880655.JPG

TSLRB a little further behind. Has had buffet window blanked, just waiting for that to harden before a filing.

RMWB142.JPG.25d8e07b6c30e3696d59360c73af26a7.JPG

Then the DMBC I'd been dreading. I knew this one would be fun. Sections attached together as before.

RMWB143.JPG.e78df45b6de0876d5f19893255566b6c.JPG

All sections now together. All 11 of them!!

RMWB144.JPG.55b5646d91b1c9ed68897d815f12d7f0.JPG

Waiting for the mekpak to properly harden before I get to the araldite stage as with the others. This one has a little extra reinforcement as a result of the thin extra section between the cab door and first window. Incidentally whoever had to paint the blue/gray or NSE on the real ones must have had fun with them being different distances at each end. Those are the two liveries I'm torn between at the moment. Plenty more filing time to decide.

More anon.

Rich

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• Tempfix

Hello All and Happy New Year.

Have spent the last couple of evenings on the 119.  Just as a preface to this evening's ramblings, there are three far more time-sensible ways toward a 119 from three different manufacturers that could well in the right hands result in something a lot more refined than what I'm up to. I just happened to have most of these bits, so this way is cheapest for me before any other consideration. Also (and I don't want to bad-mouth any of those available - as I said, they may still end up looking better than this attempt) they all have a particular niggle that would just bug me. Is this a sign of me becoming more of a rivet counter in my old age? One is available as a kit or ready to run - but the window depth is really off somewhere. In blue & grey you probably wouldn't notice but it's not actually possible to paint it accurately in lined green due to the relationship between the cab front windows and side ones. Another available variant shares the too-deep side window issue and compounds this with a peculiar window spacing (apparently due to generic side sections being used for a variety of DMU classes - again no complaint, I've built their other kits and like them). The last that I know of uses brass overlays. I'm not sure of the window depth on this one, but it does look the closest I've seen so far. Also, I don't have any (successful) experience of brass like this (although I need to get on with a GLV from MJT bits at some point). What would bug me is that all of these issues with windows could have been solved by five minutes of looking at a picture of the real thing!

Anyway, enough of my waffling, what am I doing about it. The Hornby 110 DMU bodies are the right side profile (with a bit of sanding!) but the windows are also too deep. Some basic photo manipulation and measurement (builders works photos good for this on the Railcar site here) showed them to be about 1.45mm over on comparison with the Bachmann 108 front end windows. So,

Lower corners filed to a 90 degree corner using a small square-profile needle file:
RMWB145.JPG.b4d43e60c06b0da2d62472453d76d27b.JPG

Then a small fillet of plastruct square section to fill in. These were fitted ever so slightly proud of the side on the logic that it was easier to sand them down then put in an infinitesimally thin skim of filler.

RMWB146.JPG.ebcd56c817ba4fb5df5b20035f463418.JPG

In order to regain a curved corner to the window I then added a very small piece (about 1.5mm) of plastrict in each corner. I used quarter-round simply because it was to hand, square would have done as it will be mostly filed away anyway. This was then left for a day for the mekpak to properly set everything solid. The picture below shows the upper bodyshell with all of these as glued, the lower with them sanded flush to the bodyside and then the corners carefully re-filed out with a round-profile needle file that just happened to match the radius of the curves at the top of the window.

RMWB147.JPG.851074aae4d3a30cce50b86e9208d92b.JPG

Blimey close ups are cruel! Don't worry, still some filler to come (and besides the way I paint you can lose all sorts of detail right or wrong!). This was all tested on a spare bit to make sure it looked right. One window so far has had an equivalent amount removed from the bottom and the corners filed to shape.

RMWB148.JPG.e139ffb1ea7db868c7e1ebb519a6b974.JPG

Happy so far although there is still a very long way to go. No idea how long this is going to take, but it's keeping me away from the leftover Christmas food.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening All,

A little more 119 progress to report tonight. I've been working on a few fiddly bits around the coach ends. The trickiest was the roof overhang. The method I used to put them together, and the unsuitability of the 110 ends form the donor bodies meant making my own, but these have butted up against the sides, meaning I needed to add a very thin strip of platicard to represent the overhang of the roof. Although its a small thing I think it would have looked odd not to and given that I'd made the ends it seemed silly not to. I used a strip of 2mm x 0.5mm plasticard. Stuck to the middle section to start with with Mekpak, then a wait of about 10 mins before bending around the next 3/4 of the roof curve, then overnight before the sharper curve to the bodyside. I then reinforced the next day by running a bead of superglue around under the lip, left a day and then filed to shape. This also allowed me to replicate another 119 trait - the very unusual gutter ends that angle downwards at the end of the coach. Not seen anything like these on any other DMU. Thin strips of plasticard which were filed to match the profile of the existing gutters when dry. Painting the ends of the roof here might end up resorting to brushes as can't see how I can mask the red strip to follow it.

RMWB149.JPG.7e13a0087ba11be619f9901335f4b69a.JPG

Then a thorough wash and attack with an old toothbrush to try to dislodge any dust that had embedded itself in any gaps following sanding. Once dry, filler in any obvious ones.

RMWB150.JPG.c7b2fd01e3867d4e242fb64c7c5a31d0.JPG

Then more filing. Very glad I found a source of cheap sanding sticks on eBay. Another good source is nail emery boards in Superdrug or a pound shop. Then some shots of primer just to highlight any issues.

RMWB151.JPG.cf4bd03804ee493d2d415485dfe16a0a.JPG

RMWB152.JPG.f8aa09ef761dda068ddf9e6481426c08.JPG

Fairly happy so far. The primer has highlighted a few issues here and there that will need some more filler and a rubdown, but no more than 5 on each coach so pretty happy. The strangest bit so far is how the use of black and white body sections together has created optical illusions in the size and positioning of the windows that begin to disappear with the primer coat. I have checked the spacing of the first class windows in the DMBC repeatedly as  they always looked odd where the white and black sections joined. I was sure they were even as the digital vernier gauge said so, but it's only seeing it primed now that I feel I know. 

Next steps after the fill and file will be the addition of the roof vents - of which there are very few, most 119s seeming to have had them removed by the late 1980s. Then I need to scribe the door lines back in where needed. I seem to remember this being a bit fiddly, but I've done it before on the 104 so I must be able to. Then the two driving cars need coolant filler points in the bodyside. Still checking pictures for exact position of these. Then NSE paint time, and during the weeks while that's going on, chassis mods, pickups, wiring etc.

I think I'm reaching a point of DMU fatigue now. Although annoyingly I realised while tidying up today that I have all the bits and pieces in the spares box to do this.

More soon

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rich 

I like what you are doing. When I fist saw you had started the Gloucester Cross Country unit I did think the windows are going to be too deep, That does look like a lot of work to get them the right depth, well done. 

I have recently started on a Swindon Cross Country unit. I am using old Mainline coaches as the basis. The windows on them are too shallow for Mk1s but about right for Swindon  units. I will need to add a strip of plastic card to the bottom of the coach side to make it the right height. 

DMU and EMU modelling is great fun as there are so many types left to model. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix
On 20/01/2020 at 19:45, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Rich 

I like what you are doing. When I fist saw you had started the Gloucester Cross Country unit I did think the windows are going to be too deep, That does look like a lot of work to get them the right depth, well done. 

I have recently started on a Swindon Cross Country unit. I am using old Mainline coaches as the basis. The windows on them are too shallow for Mk1s but about right for Swindon  units. I will need to add a strip of plastic card to the bottom of the coach side to make it the right height. 

DMU and EMU modelling is great fun as there are so many types left to model. 

Very kind Clive, thank you. It does seem like quite a lot of work now that I look at it - but it is very cheap. I look forward to seeing your Swindon one. Totally agree with you on the DMU modelling. I keep trying to take a break and do something else, but the spares box is still throwing up all sorts of possibilities. 

And a wise man once said, 'if you want it, make it'!

Rich

• Thanks 1

• Tempfix
On 20/01/2020 at 23:19, MJI said:

Interesting thread

I have done a few Lima rebuilds done 2 x 116, 2 x 117, 1 x 118, got a 119 under way as well

Thanks Martin. I may do one 116 vehicle in the near future as I've spotted on in set L210 around 1990 and I think it might be the only one to appear in NSE livery.

Rich

• Tempfix

Hello All,

Just the one picture to update the 119 tonight as most of the work this week isn't very visible or interesting. Most of the time has been spent filing the sides of the donor Lima chassis to shape to accommodate the bodies. They need about half a mm off of each side - but that's quite a lot of filing for a three coach unit. In the end I lost patience and reverted to a sanding drum in a mini drill. Having then got all three coaches together they've had a few more chassis details fitted just to check clearances so I can be getting on with the wiring and interiors while the bodies are being painted.

Three car set together for the first time:

RMWB153.JPG.766e53803ed9eedb7bcba3c2c9e98f0f.JPG

Buffers and coupling hooks have come from Lanarkshire Models, various wires and pipes are scratch built from bits of brass and copper wire, lamp irons are staples. Its also had corridor connections fitted and I've made a start on replacing the couplings to bring it in line with the rest of the fleet. Next jobs are scribing the doors in, adding coolant filler caps to the driving vehicles, adding door hinges after one more little bit of filling and filing. Then it can go for painting. Other details like door and grab handles and exhaust pipes can be added later. A bit stuck on exhaust pipes at the moment as there aren't many pictures of the inner ends. It seems they were fitted with a mesh shroud to the upper part of the exhaust when new, but none of the scrap-line pictures seem to have them, so not sure at what point they lost them. Will keep looking. The other thing just starting to niggle at me is the difference in ride height between the two Lima chassis, and the Hornby 121 powered one. Need to think on that too.

Am likely going to pause on this for a week or so as I need to get other things ready for Oxford Road's first outing this year.

More as and when.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• Tempfix
On 03/02/2020 at 10:19, MJI said:

I spent a couple of hours sticking seats on the floors, and then found I have not made my DMS floor yet.

I've not got to interiors yet. This will be a bit of a new approach as all the others I've done on here have used bits and pieces of existing mouldings, whereas the 119 is going to need something a bit more bespoke. Painting is a bit time consuming but strangely therapeutic. 

Rich

• Tempfix

Good Evening All

A brief diversion from all things DMU on the workbench this evening as I need to get things together for Oxford Road's outing to the Monmouth Show next weekend and the Underground has been giving me some issues. Long story short (not my strong point), there are two lines and two trains, but at an exhibition I only run one at a time on the front line as the tiny Tenshodo motor bogies get a bit hot in exhibition use. One of the trains had been sounding a little rough in one direction, but gave up completely early on at the Lydney Show last year. Problem is that nobody seems to have any of the Tenshodo bogies the right size available, and the only alternatives I've found would require some serious chassis surgery.

So nothing to lose since it's not working anyway, lets have it apart. Much RMWeb googling suggested that the most common problem is cracked axle gears, but they seem fine so I gave it the best clean I could with switch cleaner and the tiniest amount of lubrication imaginable on a cocktail stick. Photos show how small they are. From memory 10mm wheels, 24.5mm wheelbase.

RMWB154.JPG.7fabea22345bec23d23a2088c44332cf.JPG

RMWB155.JPG.bfef91dfbdbe09c188ec61f23d35d0c4.JPG

Had a little test run and so far so good. This one operates as a three car unit so the middle coach has two motor bogies wired together. One bogie is definitely more reluctant than the other, but I suspect three die-cast chassis are too heavy for one motor on it's own. Another run around tomorrow before I put it back together to see how it's bedded in and fingers crossed.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rich,

Just had a read through following our conversation about Lima DMU bashing at the Monmouth show.

The 119 is coming on, I need to revisit my Cardiff Valley Lines 116 at some point to bring it up to a better standard. There's also a part converted 122 that I bought Second hand from the DEMU forum to finish off as one of Laira's units.

I like the look of those DCC Concepts pick ups. I have a bubble car in use on the Cornish layout and it can be a bit jerky. Would you recommend them as worth fitting, or would you describe the traditional method as working better?

Cheers

Wayne

• Tempfix
On 18/02/2020 at 15:38, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Rich,

Just had a read through following our conversation about Lima DMU bashing at the Monmouth show.

The 119 is coming on, I need to revisit my Cardiff Valley Lines 116 at some point to bring it up to a better standard. There's also a part converted 122 that I bought Second hand from the DEMU forum to finish off as one of Laira's units.

I like the look of those DCC Concepts pick ups. I have a bubble car in use on the Cornish layout and it can be a bit jerky. Would you recommend them as worth fitting, or would you describe the traditional method as working better?

Cheers

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

The pickups look excellent, and I'm sure in the right hands will be! My issue was that I started with wheel sets that weren't 'live axle' so I had to use some silver paint to try and bridge the gap between the axle and one of the wheels and despite several coats I couldn't seem to get a reliable enough bond. It wasn't really a problem going back to the more traditional method since, as you've seen, most of mine work in 2 and 3 car sets anyway so they have enough power to overcome the additional friction and still make it up a 3% gradient on the home layout. I am going to try them again on something with a live axle at some point. I'm thinking it might be a good way of picking up power for some older Bachmann Mk1s (if I ever get the DMUs off the workbench of course!)

Rich

• Thanks 1

• Tempfix

Hello All,

Another few pictures of this week's efforts. One step forward and two back unfortunately. I had got as far as adding the coolant filler points to the two power cars, after much consultation of pictures since they are not in the same place either side, and for some reason not the same distance from the front on each one either (odd as I would have assumed that the engines were in the same place regardless of what was going on above the solebar). I then started scribing the door panel lines in and realised I had dropped a bit of a clanger on the DMBC.

Spot the problem! Luggage door window should be in the left hand door on this side. Annoying bit of muppetry as hat was something I've spotted and corrected on other units.

RMWB156.JPG.15268770df484d68b2376c9a483faeea.JPG

New window cut, old one filled. Needs a bit of filing and filling.

RMWB157.JPG.afa359c4387818951e78b5f515358077.JPG

Hinges starting to appear and the coolant filler. Needs a little more tweaking but need to see it in primer first.

RMWB158.JPG.c919c3244992f3b6bc11f9467545d2a4.JPG

And finally tonight, something a bit more unusual has arrived on the workbench for a DCC chip this evening.

RMWB159.JPG.7db0eb2d87ad783d00b9f5479f88f21c.JPG

Not quite NSE. Been in a display case in the spare room for years and had to be taken out when I redecorated the room. 1980s Jouef model - I wonder whether that goes? Surprisingly well actually, even with the cheapest decoder I could find.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • Tempfix

Hello All.

Calling all entrepreneurs and inventors out there. There must be something you can invent that is less fiddly and time consuming than this:

RMWB160.JPG.86fb4d967356c98ad65b052bb3ebf92f.JPG

Come on clever people, there must be a way! 119 is progressing through the paint shop (shed!). Yellow, white and blue are on the bodies, red is going on this evening, but what a lot of masking tape for this livery. I'm currently telling myself that I'm only doing one more of these - and only because I've realised I actually have all the bits in the spares box to do another hybrid unit - L210. Then I think I need to get rid of a lot of the spares to stop myself doing any more, so if you want any random DMU spares watch this space!

Stay safe folks.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening All,

A little time in the cave doing some de-masking and repairs this evening. The 119 is virtually complete. Just the yellow stripe to add on the DMBCL. I tend to paint these as I find it quicker than getting a transfer straight even with all the airbrush cleaning. There are a few little touch-ups to do where the paint has gone under the masking, but nothing that's going to be that difficult to sort. A bit of chassis surgery required for this next. I was going to progress that along with the bodies, but I've been pondering how to alter the ride height on the two Lima chassis. I think some surgery might be in order.

RMWB161.JPG.74950692573caa0102c9055a27c461e1.JPG

A couple of unusual repairs on the bench tonight too.  This one is a Märklin starter set that my son was given second hand from my nephews next door. Clever idea to get young people into trains, but badly let down by the quality of the track it comes with. Just required a wire re-soldering inside. Battery powered so can quite happily run anywhere on the layout and seems to cope with all track and pointwork without issue. Remote control, lights and sound too. In no way prototypical in any aspect, but doesn't really matter when you're 4.

RMWB162.JPG.92390eba6b1ab776168f095e8b0f7612.JPG

Top prize for resilience goes to this one though. Belongs to one of my nephews and has taken some extreme hammering. Lima 55022 Royal Scots Grey. Missing a few bits, but then it has had a few accidental trips down the stairs! Full of carpet fluff and various unidentifiable sticky bits, had broken the wire between the bogies on one of it's bounces. A quick solder and a wheel clean and it runs as smoothly as anything. 

RMWB163.JPG.d068e768581e150b8b1e0e36c184f5a6.JPG

More soon. Stay safe folks.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Rich Papper said:

Good Evening All,

A little time in the cave doing some de-masking and repairs this evening. The 119 is virtually complete. Just the yellow stripe to add on the DMBCL. I tend to paint these as I find it quicker than getting a transfer straight even with all the airbrush cleaning. There are a few little touch-ups to do where the paint has gone under the masking, but nothing that's going to be that difficult to sort. A bit of chassis surgery required for this next. I was going to progress that along with the bodies, but I've been pondering how to alter the ride height on the two Lima chassis. I think some surgery might be in order.

RMWB161.JPG.fede3a68ccc10a510d0acb50f0738a82.JPG

A couple of unusual repairs on the bench tonight too.  This one is a Märklin starter set that my son was given second hand from my nephews next door. Clever idea to get young people into trains, but badly let down by the quality of the track it comes with. Just required a wire re-soldering inside. Battery powered so can quite happily run anywhere on the layout and seems to cope with all track and pointwork without issue. Remote control, lights and sound too. In no way prototypical in any aspect, but doesn't really matter when you're 4.

RMWB162.JPG.db8fab5fffb47b336d646cdc83d962da.JPG

Top prize for resilience goes to this one though. Belongs to one of my nephews and has taken some extreme hammering. Lima 55022 Royal Scots Grey. Missing a few bits, but then it has had a few accidental trips down the stairs! Full of carpet fluff and various unidentifiable sticky bits, had broken the wire between the bogies on one of it's bounces. A quick solder and a wheel clean and it runs as smoothly as anything. 

RMWB163.JPG.94900d92a250b3b5e8c9ae84ef9b8ab9.JPG

More soon. Stay safe folks.

Rich

More top work here Rich

looking forward to more now..

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening

Been a while since the last update. Might be a bit picture heavy tonight, but probably still end up shorter than me trying to explain anything. So, first the 119.

Problem, two Lima chassis ride height is noticeably higher than the Hornby 121 chassis.

RMWB164.JPG.24dc3b4e9ca8f1b64f0c20a893aa1ea4.JPG

My solution (there might be better ones!). Lima chassis upside down. Two slits cut with Dremel and cutting disk either side of pivot.

RMWB165.JPG.6692f0c080cef3e0679718865b37f361.JPG

Turn over, join up carefully with Stanley knife, neaten edges with file.

RMWB166.JPG.02f4eabf4fbf0706bc9af18593f190ea.JPG

Then take two lengths of 2mm square plastruct slightly longer than the hole and glue flush with the upper surface of the floor.

RMWB167.JPG.ad5965d5e3d86c9a86032f385c925b96.JPG

Once fully set, glue pivot piece back in from underneath taking care to get it square as having used the cutting disk it will have a little side to side movement.

RMWB169.JPG.fff502e46914c1dbf4768e0e00d36a58.JPG

And view from below.

RMWB170.JPG.e368a979cdbb34e8a598322197c89caa.JPG

Looks much more reasonable in comparison. Will get a picture of them lined up when the bodies are back on.

On to the next!

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 3

• Tempfix

Can't fit all the pictures in one post!

Solebar steps next. I've pinged a few off the 115 (details somewhere earlier in this thread). To made a small thin piece of overlapping plasticard underneath the step so they are glued to the bottom of the chassis as well as the face of the solebar since there is such a small point of contact to glue. Hopefully will prove more resilient, not really noticable once painted.

RMWB171.JPG.4635fa845814bae3b4671bf8ec3eeef5.JPG

RMWB172.JPG.e42d89759ac576b8a8983aa59db25118.JPG

An incidental about Lima bogies. At some point in the distant past they changed the material they were made from. Not sure how visible it is in the picture below but the bogie nearest the camera is a sort of silvery grey plastic (these are older), while the one at the back is straight black. They are quite different materials. The grey are quite stiff and brittle, but take glue well. The black are really quite flexible, but you really need 2 part epoxy to glue anything to them - nothing else seems to work.

RMWB173.JPG.17982df332bd67abf2c490f7ce3fe7e0.JPG

Then painting. First a mix 4:1 of Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal (27004) and grey (64), then a bit of Railmatch frame dirt, then some Humbrol Leather (62) on the brake shoes. Still some details to pick out with brush, but virtually there.

RMWB174.JPG.95ea775234d986bbca952d82eb595e96.JPG

RMWB176.JPG.b483c15be1fe74ff0928592a3e234ca4.JPG

And then the bodies. Various touch-ups done. Just had first coat of gloss varnish. Humbrol acrylic. 

RMWB177.JPG.7deae9749c21fb7ebaf8687c8dfb36b1.JPG

Hopefully moving in the right direction, but a long way to go yet!.

Stay safe folks.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• Tempfix

Still here!

Two other random bits on the workbench at the moment, both for the small people.

First is a chassis swap for an old Lima HST. It was really beginning to struggle even with a decent decoder and some extra pickups so I picked up a new Railroad flying banana set and swapped them. Very straightforward switch.

RMWB178.JPG.d692e31c1dfb2c57996ee6ec132fe91c.JPG

Then, slightly more involved, Thing 1 has noticed that Flying Scotsman on Thomas and Friends has two tenders. Fine. How hard can it be with some second hand bits?

RMWB179.JPG.9c643c94e392c7847a34a86bd2a97c4e.JPG

Well, very. But he's happy.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening

A few updates on the 119. Apologies for the appalling background mess in pictures - my son found an old box of spare bits and has been hauling everything out to play with.

First the interiors. A bit of painting. These are the first I've built from individual bits. All the others have used existing mouldings chopped about a bit, but the seats in the 119 don't look anything like the various bits I have floating around the spares box - particularly the luxury first class ones. These ones came from Southern Pride models (found here). I need to do a couple of tweaks having found a couple of new pictures of Flickr I hadn't found before. It seems the 119s didn't get quite as much of the grey formica as some other classes did when done up in NSE.

DMS end.

RMWB180.JPG.27713934843e4b1ea37c1191b9451bd5.JPG

DMBC end.

RMWB181.JPG.49a7718dd5be50022c009825d7fed0b2.JPG

There also don't seem to be any pictures of what the ex-buffet area looked like once it was removed. Some sources talk of a luggage rack, others suggest it was just a big space, so have left it empty for now until I have some more of an idea. Couldn't resist a quick go with the bodies on now chassis are together.

RMWB182.JPG.b0198a83ebe46900edfe8653da3c651e.JPG

Ride height issues are sorted now too. Hornby 121 chassis left, modified Lima 117 TCL chassis right.

RMWB183.JPG.046bd10aae40f43c5c64f0b1f1af3a9d.JPG

Then on to my absolute favourite job. Takes me forever but I love putting the transfers on. Suddenly makes it look more real somehow and gives me a kick to get more of it done.

RMWB184.JPG.c514efec9b5731eb7fcf2ee518610856.JPG

This is the best one of course:

RMWB185.JPG.d77fbf4d80154fe3af8d23303093e430.JPG

Now we're getting somewhere, although I'm not underestimating how long it's going to take to cut down and paint all the windows!

Electrics next.

Stay safe.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

119 wiring! Some logic, but a bit of a spider's web. I think the motor bogie came from Peter's Spares and the chassis I already had in the spares box. Was going to get a complete rewire anyway, so no problem using odd bits. I always use the right colour wires for DCC as I'd never trace any problem otherwise (not that I'd necessarily know how to fix one I found!).

RMWB192.JPG.11a49a7a924b767cd5fc92dbf640534a.JPG

Re-using the 8 pin socket from the Hornby chassis, in picture below it's been unscrewed and rested upside down. The Hornby 121 doesn't have lights or any other function so there are usually only 4 connections out of the 8.

RMWB193.JPG.9540ce39934b174c03f1c157df90ea40.JPG

4.7K resistors for the LED strip and destination blind. Probably still a little bright. Motorcycle wheel balance weights to add a bit of weight.

RMWB194.JPG.508646691d1047dd4221292d16d976cc.JPG

All wires hidden under seating, with decoder where the old Lima weight was on the DMS. 3 pin connector used to make body removable if needed.

RMWB195.JPG.f5be6204228da649303e775b2ee41426.JPG

And it lives. Only done a couple of laps as a two car yet as I haven't finished shoehorning the decoder into the toilet of the trailer.

RMWB196.JPG.600b4818767e033edb667a49f2862b77.JPG

Finish trailer and make destination blinds next. 

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

You beat me to it.

A couple of windows to glaze and pickups to make, first class to paint, then glueing sideframes on the motor bogie.

Now who is going to announce a 119 now two sets are 95% complete?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic job on the 119. I have some class 110's hanging around, and I'm tempted to have a go.

What destinations are you planning on doing? Reading and Gatwick Airport or Tonbridge perhaps? I remember seeing Class 119's regularly on both those services until the 165/166's took over.

• Thanks 1

• Tempfix
9 hours ago, MJI said:

You beat me to it.

A couple of windows to glaze and pickups to make, first class to paint, then glueing sideframes on the motor bogie.

Now who is going to announce a 119 now two sets are 95% complete?

I'm not declaring victory yet! All those Hornby 110 windows need 1.4mm taken off the bottom, corners filing and vents painting.

Nice to see it moving though - looks a bit more real.

Rich