Rich Papper's Workbench - PHOTOS RESTORED

Rich Papper

11 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

OK, not really my update this one.

Thing 1 has finished his track maintenance thing. Was a very cheap 3D printed kit from Budget Model Railways (here - although I think they're in the process of moving to eBay and rebranding as Enterprise Models). One of a range designed to fit on the old Hornby 0-4-0 chassis. We had an old Tenshodo bogie kicking around the spares box though, so hit upon the idea that it could have an interior if we used that (and I wanted to try to DCC one as practice for next tube train anyway). The kit is a bit rough and ready, but went together quickly. Has taught him a bit about how to stick, file, prime, paint etc. Only bit he really struggled with was the glazing for the front windows, so I did these based on many a laserglaze experience.

At a late stage he then decided it was having a coupling hook. Surprisingly, for it's weight and size it can pull quite a bit and seems smoother with a bit of weight behind it.

RMWB267.jpg.c6e337f2c4682a3dcb1873d0ccf2c713.jpg

Has front and interior lights (soldering practice). Cruel close up, but he even got a drivers desk in.

RMWB268.jpg.9fefcdf84101ebc7c5797f1092fa22ef.jpg

Some of the seats he found in my DMU bits box. I think I used them as the first class seats in the 119. Probably not realistic, but not sure if it is based on any particular prototype, I know plenty of engineers who would have, and most importantly - he's 7. So I trust his judgement.

It's coming to the Weston show with us apparently. No idea if it will fit down the platform line on Oxford Road - it looks a bit wide.

Only one way to find out.

Rich

Cool bit of kit from Thing 1 !

Looks a bit like one of those shunting devices used to shunt stuff around works 

• Tempfix
6 hours ago, Lady_Farkham said:

Well done Thing 1. A fine effort, puts me to shame!! 

I'm quite impressed with it too. Just need to work on the patience between stages now.

And you're getting a lot more done that we are - your wagon a day progress has already lasted a week longer than most of my new years resolutions!

Rich

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Rich

Just finished viewing your thread from start to finish.  I must say it was nice to see that all of the pictures have been restored - I am constantly looking for reference only to find the pictures missing

I was particularly impressed with the DMU modifying and lighting posts as this is something I am currently having a go at myself (my very first attempt at a DMU conversion)

Keep up the good work

Thanks

Simon

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Tempfix
On 14/02/2023 at 01:13, Psiborg said:

Hi Rich

Just finished viewing your thread from start to finish.  I must say it was nice to see that all of the pictures have been restored - I am constantly looking for reference only to find the pictures missing

I was particularly impressed with the DMU modifying and lighting posts as this is something I am currently having a go at myself (my very first attempt at a DMU conversion)

Keep up the good work

Thanks

Simon

Thanks for that. I share your frustration with the photos, although I know Andy moved heaven and earth trying to get them all back. I am still working back through a few - handy to have them there to remind myself what I've done when I can't remember. I'm hoping to do a bit more DMU bodgery at some point this year, but I've got some Underground bits to sort first.

Rich

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • Tempfix

Hello All

Not much to report on the workbench at the moment. Underground battery locos have stalled slightly while I try to figure out the lighting and a way of not boxing myself into a corner for any future shuttle conversions. Looking at using the DCC concepts zen black and ABC boards to automate the Underground when I get around to rebuilding Oxford Road, but am conscious that of the three motorised sets I aim to have by this time next year, each will have the motor in a different place and OR is not long enough for much of a transition between running and braking zones for the ABC modules. May need to rig up a test track before I start anything that's not going to work.

In other news, Thing 1 is up to something.

CA348.jpg.559ffcdb9eed0f79e20a5df0689f28b4.jpg

Not entirely sure he knows what the finished thing will look like yet, but lots of good bits so far.

He's probably safe with all those tools...

(...safer than I am anyway!).

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Can't spell!
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening All - and Happy New Year!

I'm hoping to be a little more productive with the layout and stock this year as we have a number of shows lined up for Oxford Road and I like to have some new piece of stock each time - if only to keep myself interested! Quite a lot of this holiday has been spent on Thing 1's layout as the deadline for first show is fast approaching. Hopefully a thread on this as soon as I figure out a way of safely letting an 8 year old loose on RM Web.

I have been working on the 'to do' pile though. First up, some Barbels are on the way. The Parkside kit, just going for a short rake. I think I've built six and still have three more to go. Quite a satisfying wagon to build, and not too complicated to get everything square and all the wheels sitting on the track - which I confess I haven't always managed in the past! Not sure what they'll look like yet, but if you want the ultimate guide you need to head across to Mr Makin's page (here) for the proper way to do it.

RMWB269.jpg.acd819eb0f891adae768473552dbf450.jpg

More underframe detail than usual for me too!

RMWB270.jpg.380759835e42d6ef9a0fea5fab824bc7.jpg

I did run into a slight problem here - you'll notice the different wheels. I've been collecting these for a number of years - the usual: at a show, want to buy something just because I'm here! At some point Peco seem to have changed the wheels supplied in the kit. The older ones I have seem to have black wheels which feel like plastic with a metal tyre, a couple of newer ones have all metal wheels. The metal ones certainly feel like better quality, unfortunately the axle length supplied is longer. I thought it was just my ham fistedness until I swapped a few pairs around with the first four I built and found that the older wheels spin freely in all of them, the metal ones don't spin in any. I emailed Peco, they replied that I need to recess the bearings more when I build them. Logical (although not easy) for a new build, but no suggestions for those I've already built. Fortunately Peter's Spares do dome of their own brand that are even better than both - shown in nearest wagon above. Also have live axle to one side so could fit one with a flashing tail light.

Thoughts on battered old spoil wagons, some Grampus have been out too. These are having the couplings changed from the Dapol one supplied (right) to the short straight Bachmann equivalent (left). These have the benefit of being about 2mm shorter, so bringing the wagons closer together, and not having the droop of the Dapol ones. I had thought this was caused by the coupling pocket until I changed a few over and found the Bachmann ones to be level - seems to be the coupling itself.

RMWB271.jpg.a6a1ccebcf73feb2462cfefea94b791f.jpg

Much weathering to follow on this lot.

Keep smiling folks.

Rich

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

HNY Rich!

Some great projects!

Thanks for posting this info and interestingly (well for me) I'm up to something similar and been looking at wheels.

I've just bought a few of the new Peco/Parkside kits and forgot they included wheels. On looking at them the profile doesn't seem too bad so was thinking about using them in EM. I haven't measured the axle length so thanks for the heads up and will measure one soon.

I do like a Grampus and have just found the old 1987 RM article which inspired me to have a go at building them (at that time so I'm hoping my next attempts are better/run). Now I'm researching the different types to decide whether to go fitted or unfitted. I look forward to seeing how yours turn out.

Cheers

Will

• RMweb Premium

So that explains a chassis which will not roll, will put Gibson in that one.

Plastic centre were Gibson and generally OK

• Tempfix

Thanks Chaps.

According to my Vernier gauge, the plastic centre ones that Peco used to supply have an axle length of 25.7mm, the newer all metal ones measure 26.0mm. It sounds like nothing 0.3mm but the older ones spin in any I've made, and the newer ones don't. There might be something in the shape of the cone where it comes to a point at the end of the axle but I'm not sure I could take a picture (or focus my eyes!) to see clearly enough to show on here. The Peters Spares ones I bought were these here which say 25.6mm axle length.

Slightly disappointed not to have had a reply from Peco. They responded advising me to recess the bearings further, I said OK with a new build but what about the ones I've already built - nothing.

As for the Grampus, at least the yellow line needs a repaint before weathering. I think the Dapol version is supposed to be faded, but I don't think it was yellow to start with. Given that I've got to find a yellow for the Barbels I'll just do these at the same time.

Rich

• 1 month later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening All

A bit of naffling around the workbench this weekend, although to be honest it is virtually impossible to get in the room at the moment as all of the floorspace has been taken over by the construction of Thing 1's first layout - now named 'King's Lane'. Construction moving apace as it has a show in 6 weeks! But while the soldering iron was out:

He picked up a Hornby Duchess second hand for a very reasonable price at Warley, and it has been sat around waiting to have an 8 pin socket hard wired in. The socket was just to get it running with a cheap chip. His long term plan is a smoke generator and sound. Plenty of room in there too - body shell is huge.

RMWB272.jpg.2ab711a32c52f697d4a0c420d5ecd34a.jpg

Then at the other end of the size range, my birthday present this year: Hornby 88DS. Really really struggled to get a 6 pin chip in this - even the prescribed Hornby one. I did also ask advice from a reputable seller of DCC bits whether I could wire in a stay alive - his advice was 'no chance'!

RMWB273.jpg.f18f105ced4d4ebefbd1382e24be721a.jpg

Brief test with a running mate for company.

RMWB274.jpg.310a2ad87ed8cf24ab1ab295a79fe5f2.jpg

Both need weathering asap as they are on the roster for the next show. Assuming the layout is done of course. Talking of which...

RMWB275.jpg.21ec79c81b9b93596982a51184d60be1.jpg

Really hope all those point motors work when he fires some power through them - they're very hard to get at buried in the styrofoam!

Stay safe folks.

Rich

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Rich Papper said:

Then at the other end of the size range, my birthday present this year: Hornby 88DS. Really really struggled to get a 6 pin chip in this - even the prescribed Hornby one. I did also ask advice from a reputable seller of DCC bits whether I could wire in a stay alive - his advice was 'no chance'!

RMWB273.jpg.f18f105ced4d4ebefbd1382e24be721a.jpg

That is a big decoder for a 6 pin, most are not much bigger then the plug.

e.g. a Lenz 6 pin is 10.6 x 7.5 x 2.6

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Tempfix
6 minutes ago, melmerby said:

That is a big decoder for a 6 pin, most are not much bigger then the plug.

e.g. a Lenz 6 pin is 10.6 x 7.5 x 2.6

Handy to know, thanks. First 6 pin I’ve fitted I think so not sure I’ve seen one close to before. A little bit concerned about it shorting on the body to be honest. Might have to do a bit more research.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

If not a Lenz, then a Dapol Imperium 1 6-Pin isn't much bigger than the socket either, and they work rather well.... I have one in my Heljan 07, although there is more room in that, than in an 88DS....

• Informative/Useful 1