(No name yet!) Indoor Live Steam BLT in a limited space......

From memory the gear ratio was around 35 to 1, the flywheels are perhaps a little too heavy at the moment, pair turned out of 30mm dia brass bar, 9.5mm thick. I might try skimming these down a little bit at some point as it does run on a bit too much some times. If I had a third channel on the radio I'd have been tempted to use a micro servo as a brake...! Though the engine will stop reasonably quickly if returned to mid gear.

I have dug the layout back out, been a few too many other things going on, but now the dark winter nights have returned I've been building a second brake van and just about to do a bit more scenic work. On the look out for a photographic backscene next, min 22" high, any ideas anyone?! Shall take some more pictures when a bit more to show.

On 07/11/2017 at 22:54, Dinmore Manor said:

Oooops, been playing trains again...

post-7911-0-09026300-1510095023_thumb.jpg

Have progressed the footpath bridge and turned up some tank vents though so not all been play time. To some extent the testing etc is most needed as before long I need to set uncoupling magnets in place in specific locations to be able to operate the layout effectively, keep finding places where another magnet will be required!

I've seen no name suggestions forthcoming, damn...!

Mike

What are the couplings? I might be tempted to upgrade Kayti my Roundhouse kit build.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whilst I can't do anything with full size or 5 inch gauge trains I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a little steam up for the first time in ages.... 

Still so much to do, ground works and texturing, wagon building, goods shed to finish and the rock face to paint/weather, can see that taking ages... Strangely enough I have a bit more time to do some of the above at the moment!

The photographic backscene arrives on Monday so that will be a useful boost to the look and feel of things. 

Edited by Dinmore Manor
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2020 at 18:37, Zigzag Canyon said:

Starting my own modular indoor live steam layout, inspired by yours!  The modules are in place.  Each one is 3x4 foot.  Now it's time to lay some track.  Thanks for posting your progress!

Excellent, amazed to have inspired someone, though all credit (blame?!) has to go to Steve Howard for inspiring me in the first place....! I like it, interesting track plan, what's the overall size and where is the layout build thread?!

Mike, pleased to see you have picked this project up again. It's looking very good.  I love the backscene, I think it makes such a difference, especially in photographs of the layout. This is large scale modelling in a small space done extremely well.  I'm tempted to do something similar so that I can run my live steam engines indoors as Hambleden is too long to setup indoors.  Keep up the good work.  Steve

On 19/04/2020 at 07:02, Dinmore Manor said:

Excellent, amazed to have inspired someone, though all credit (blame?!) has to go to Steve Howard for inspiring me in the first place....! I like it, interesting track plan, what's the overall size and where is the layout build thread?!

The trunk is 16 x 3 foot.  The branch is 3 x 4.  I don't have a build thread.  I suppose I should start one...

• Like 1

On 22/04/2020 at 08:35, 060 said:

Mike, pleased to see you have picked this project up again. It's looking very good.  I love the backscene, I think it makes such a difference, especially in photographs of the layout. This is large scale modelling in a small space done extremely well.  I'm tempted to do something similar so that I can run my live steam engines indoors as Hambleden is too long to setup indoors.  Keep up the good work.  Steve

Steve, you're far too kind, nothing that spectacular going on here!

You really should build something smaller that you can use easily indoors, you have a fiddle yard already, which I'm sure you could adapt and use...... So I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I've even considered doing an inglenook at some point and why not, popular enough in other scales. Could be done in a little over 5'x 2'.... 

Mike 

A few more pics from a recent steam up, finally managed to get round to cladding the goods shed, needs heavy weathering now. Followed by more work on the scenics and general distressing of everything. Lockdown does have some benefits. Also hoping to finish off the fiddle yard set up today making the layout properly useable/ooerational at long last....! 

received_1074938689555883.jpeg

received_224232955538025.jpeg

received_3738538029552170.jpeg

received_224744652159789.jpeg

received_538897983440996.jpeg

received_254956589204454.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2020 at 09:47, 44690 said:

Zigzag Canyon,

Make sure your room is well ventilated if you're going to run indoors. The fumes can be pretty unpleasant in a confined place.

Ian

And don't forget some serious buffer stops. The thought of an overshoot is unbearable!

• 8 months later...

All is not forgotten...! Been building a couple of new wagons, making a start on completing the yard area and ordering various items to push things along a bit. But certainly much slower progress than there should have been, nothing new there then I hear you all say....! Shall post some pics when I next have both boards dug out and set up. I wont leave it 8 months this time!

Ah, I did complete the fiddleyard, works quite well thankfully, nice to be able to use the layout as intended finally and also have some proper running sessions to determine the required location of uncoupling magnets, it's far trickier than I expected and locations have changed a number of times slightly. Due to short siding lengths and different wagon lengths  if you get 2 magnets set in just the wrong place you hook on to one wagon and can't hook on to the next because its over a magnet!  An operating sequence is all part and parcel of the above too to avoid such unwanted splitting of trains. 

Edited by Dinmore Manor

If you're still looking for a name, how about "Miset Vale". It's an anagram of "Live Steam".

Or "Bittam Levels", which is an anagram of "Live Steam BLT."

("Bittam" is a surname round these parts). 

There's even "Moriton Edisvale", which sounds like it dates back to 1066 but is an anagram of "Indoor Live Steam".

Best wishes

Cam

Edited by CameronL
Added a bit