Class 44 wanderings towards the end of their working lives

TravisM

also worth bearing in mind is that even if traincrew traction knowledge was limited , it was fairly common practice to roster a loco on a job where the crew would continue past the usual relieving point with a conductor driver and then be able to claim mileage allowance and overtime. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not much use I know, but I remember seeing a class 44 at Crewe on my way up north, in early 1980. Haven't got my book to hand, so I can't remember which, and as for the date-one of several possibilities is Rocket 150, which would have been 26th May, or one of several trips to Lancashire to visit relatives. Not much help, I know, but they did get to Crewe.

cheers N

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Premium

I was in Peterborough on the 24th August 1973 when D9 passed through with a train of mineral wagons from the north. Sorry about the poor quality film.

post-7619-0-43860300-1497848463_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I came from Leicester so the 'under tenners' as we called them in pre-TOPS days were common.  However a few years later around 1978-9 I was at Speke Junction, Liverpool and one came along into the yard from the Crewe direction. There were no local spotters there but I suspect they would have gone wild!  I am 95% sure my memory is correct in saying it was working a double deck car train (or empties), would the braking system have allowed this?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I came from Leicester so the 'under tenners' as we called them in pre-TOPS days were common.  However a few years later around 1978-9 I was at Speke Junction, Liverpool and one came along into the yard from the Crewe direction. There were no local spotters there but I suspect they would have gone wild!  I am 95% sure my memory is correct in saying it was working a double deck car train (or empties), would the braking system have allowed this?

Tony

I don't think 44's were air-braked. They were much used on unfitted freights, which they were ideal for, because of the large locomotive weight.

I think it was because they wanted the express locos to have the lowest numbers, and allocated blocks to power types. Why shunters started at D2000 I don't know, but no one had envisaged a type 5, which is why Deltics had to go at the back.

Mentioned numerous times earlier in the thread, but here's my contribution of 44 008 at Chester in Jan '78. One at Chester General, and the other heading out under the city walls.

Apologies for the quality, but the light was going, and the Instamatic couldn't cope very well...

44008PenyghentChester210178-1.jpg.d91eaac26d6767f0ca04d98f662305d8.jpg

44008PenyghentChester210178-2.jpg.979615a597cb7d29074ff6698ca6c424.jpg

Hmmm - no Class 24 in this shot?

Edited by billy_anorak59
  • Like 9

I think it was because they wanted the express locos to have the lowest numbers, and allocated blocks to power types. Why shunters started at D2000 I don't know, but no one had envisaged a type 5, which is why Deltics had to go at the back.

The Deltics were originally supposed to be numbered in the D1000 series but for some reason these were allocated to the Westerns instead. The Hymeks ended with D7100, had the planned extra batches been built they'd have gone up to D7400.

• RMweb Gold

Few 44 photos here on my Flikr album taken on a BTEG (British transport Enthusiasts Group) North Midlands shed bash on 19 May 1968

Perhaps someone knows their locations (memory & notes long gone !!!!!).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136789710@N03/albums/72157677041435873

Brit15

Apart from the BRCW 2, which I think may be Coalville,I would hazard a guess that the rest are all at Toton.

Mike.

What a great set of photos. Surely some are at Leicester as well as Derby Works.  I love the back-to-front double arrow transfer on D8048.   D4110 and D4111 (both class 09s), presumably in Derby Works, were allocated to Crewe Diesel Depot (5A), before heading to the Southern Region a year or so later.   Looks like an unlined green CK in 2013-01-10-17-23-29.

Bill

The only notes I have of the day out are in my trip logbook.

BTEG North Midlands coach tour, Pick up at Wigan 09.00 & drop off Wigan 21.00, Cost £1 !!!

Sheds visited

5D Cockshute

Derby Works

16C Derby shed

Coalville

16A Toton

16E Kirby in Ashfield

16G Westhouses

16B Colwick

A couple of shots are at Manchester Vic / Leds which were from a trip there a bit later in June.

Heck - it's just over 49 years ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hadn't thought of looking here, some nice late 1970s info on class 44 wandering from the wonderful Derby sulzers site. I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread.

https://www.derbysulzers.com/class44.html

44001 November 1974 worked to STJ, still looking for an elusive photo of one there, but maybe more wanderings onto the WR will emerge. Always a favourite site of mine, I guess it's been updated since I first looked. Whoever is responsible for the Derby sulzers site warrants a medal. 

Edited by Downendian
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Downendian said:

Hadn't thought of looking here, some nice late 1970s info on class 44 wandering from the wonderful Derby sulzers site. I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread.

https://www.derbysulzers.com/class44.html

44001 November 1974 worked to STJ, still looking for an elusive photo of one there, but maybe more wanderings onto the WR will emerge. Always a favourite site of mine, I guess it's been updated since I first looked. Whoever is responsible for the Derby sulzers site warrants a medal. 

Welcome back Neil - you cant go fishing so its railway modelling for you!!!!!

The Toton - Westbury coal was another favourite I think - only problem with disc headcode locos is you cant glean any gen from the headcode....

Stay safe - and sane

Phil

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Just found this thread while hunting for information and pictures of the 44's, sorry if it's a bit of a late post.

It's probably more a 'regular duty' than wandering but I grew up in Pelsall next to the South Staffs line (Walsall to Wychnor) which our fields ran alongside for some distance either side of Bridge No. 65.

I used to take notice of the frequent workings through the 1970s till they ripped up the line in the mid 80's, and my childhood favourites were the 44's because they were the only ones with names I ever saw. They were regular passers-by, dragging long goods trains behind them.

The engine classes I remember seeing were : 08, 20, 25, 31, 37, 40 (rare), 44, 45, 47. In earlier years any peak was usually a 44, but they gradually faded away.

From what I have read since they must have been running in from Toton I suppose.

I marked off all except one 44 on the line over the years, and eventually spotted that last one at Birmingham New Street of all places, I think that was D8 Penyghent if memory serves. For some reason Snowdon and Skiddaw were my 'favourites', no idea why !

No dates or pictures sadly, just memories of hazy days at the railway bank, long rattling goods trains and being happy to complete one class in my spotter book !

Edited by Railswood
grammar
  • Like 7

The first if them to go was Skiddaw early 1976,  they were already celebrities,  I was living  in Pye Bridge near Alfreton, for the Summer of 76,  every evening a 44 would run through Pye Bridge  heading north on freight, enthusiasts would gather just to to see a 44  working

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keefer said:

Depending on when D1 lost its Blue-Star equipment, the locos may have worked in multiple.

Most Peaks of all variations had lost their MU equipment by then, indeed AE Robson the LMR CME was looking to remove it when they were still under construction.

Simon