Widnes Model Centre - opening from 15th June 2020

I am sure a lot of members who live in this general area are aware of the ongoing Mersey Gateway and Runcorn Widnes Bridge traffic disruption. At the moment it is difficult during the normal working day and even weekends to get into Widnes from via the existing Silver Jubilee Bridge or from Liverpool South.

In an effort to make it easier for our customers, as from Wednesday 21st June 2017 we will remain open until 8pm. This will be until further notice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A big thank you to those who made the effort and turned up for our first late night opening.

Didn't quite pan out like we thought. We were receiving calls stating people were on their way but stuck in traffic. Ended up closing the doors at 9pm. Long day......

Can't fault your efforts towards customer service.

Puts me in mind of my last (ever) visit to Comet some 30 years ago, it was suggested by the sales prevention assitant that we "hurry up and make your purchase, we close in 5 minutes". Can't think why it they went bust.

Mike.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Becoming fist time customer after a little bit of luck finding him in a different forum topic, I found myself chatting to Barry who is very professional and pleasant and I would recommend his shop after purchasing a locomotive Yesterday. Many thanks Barry and to your team!

Simon

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Reserved my Colas 70 with them after a brief chat on here. Paid yesterday and arrived today, best service I have ever received. Looking forward to the Colas 67 and 37099 being delivered. On pre order, will definitely purchase from here.

• 1 month later...

Puts me in mind of my last (ever) visit to Comet some 30 years ago, it was suggested by the sales prevention assitant that we "hurry up and make your purchase, we close in 5 minutes". Can't think why it they went bust.

Mike.

Certainly commendable from Widnes Models.

However Mike try working in a Model shop or any shop and having chaps that come in each week at the same time 10-5 mins before you close or even while your dropping the shutters for a rummage about and buy nothing.

Even outside of this time some think it is a day time social drop in center whist their missus is in the clothes shop and buy nothing.

Whilst each customer was treated well you have to understand some people like myself have to get home to family responsibilities etc and a life outside of entertaining time wasters and by god I had enough of them in my 3 years behind the counter. It certainly was an enjoyable job though.

• RMweb Gold

Certainly commendable from Widnes Models.

However Mike try working in a Model shop or any shop and having chaps that come in each week at the same time 10-5 mins before you close or even while your dropping the shutters for a rummage about and buy nothing.

Even outside of this time some think it is a day time social drop in center whist their missus is in the clothes shop and buy nothing.

Whilst each customer was treated well you have to understand some people like myself have to get home to family responsibilities etc and a life outside of entertaining time wasters and by god I had enough of them in my 3 years behind the counter. It certainly was an enjoyable job though.

I've got the T shirt George, fully agree.

Mike.

Whilst their comment about hurrying up was rather crass I think one should be mindful that they are paid to work a certain number of hours and they have the right to go home when they are due to finish - they will not get paid overtime to stay and complete your potential purchase. I shopped in Comet for many a year and always had good service. I’m sure there were a series of reasons for them going bust ....just saying

Does anyone else read posts from the bottom upwards?

My wife, Gill was reading this, just as I do. Thought posters were complaining that we were closing while they were still in the shop. So glad it referred to Comet etc.

Great to see Andy Y in the shop yesterday. Even though he left in plenty of time, last minute customers meant we didn't close until 5.55pm. To be honest last minute customers are every bit as important as the first one through the door.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I advertised in the 'Wanted' section that I was looking for a Hornby loco that was released back in 2014, haven't been able to find it anywhere and Barry dropped me a message to say that they had one.

Loco arrived very quickly, excellent, friendly service and will definitely use them again.

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Janet and I visited Widnes Model Centre today. We would like to thank Barry, Gill and Tom for their kind hospitality, their knowledge and good banter. The shop is well stocked, tidy and a joy to shop in, you know like those model shops you could find in every town, but better, geared up for the 21st century. We hope shops like this will keep trading in these dark days of pressures on 'the High Street.'

We found some really useful items not often seen in the model train shop but as the shop covers a wider modelling interest such as RC planes and airbrusing etc there is a wider selection of useful items that can cross over to railway modelling. We look forward to shopping with you again.

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by Duncan.
typo
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest Jack Benson
On 9 May 2019 at 14:25, Mutley said:

I advertised in the 'Wanted' section that I was looking for a Hornby loco that was released back in 2014, haven't been able to find it anywhere and Barry dropped me a message to say that they had one.

Loco arrived very quickly, excellent, friendly service and will definitely use them again.

Mike

Hi,

Another receipient of help from Barry at Widnes Model Centre, absolutely top folk.

A credit to the model railway community.

cheers

Jack 

• RMweb Premium
On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 07:19, Enterprisingwestern said:

Quite a few I would imagine, judging from the number of times a question is repeated or asked when already answered or a statement made, both of which have appeared further up the thread.

Mike.

Almost pantomime behaviour...…..(quite a good idea to scroll through stuff unless it is my thread where people die before they find any actual facts):

"Engage the scrolls"

"But I haven't got the Scrolls."

"Well why are you walking like that then?"

Boom tish etc.

EDIT: Just to clarify this, this is a comment about the people that do not read through threads. It would appear someone thought it was a comment about the shop. Apologies if that has offended.

Edited by Mallard60022
To clarify a point.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Guest Jack Benson
10 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Almost pantomime behaviour...…..(quite a good idea to scroll through stuff unless it is my thread where people die before they find any actual facts)

Hi,

Just spent a jolly few minutes searching for the rules that control the method of reading of threads and come up blank. 

Obviously any 'pantomime' behaviour is the knee jerk response to impose rules that do not exist upon those who do not care.

Cheers

Jack