Colour Light Signalling for Model Railways (Out Now)

St. Simon

24 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I know that Mike was doing some a year or two back because he had a chat with me about a job he was doing on the North & West Line but I think he too is now retired.

I wonder - although it's a lot of work - if you could do a back date on colour light signalling?   Heck of a lot of differences there but with a few notable, worthy,  exceptions at least running signal aspect sequences were more or less standardised (the main oddity being repetitive double yellows) but there were a lot of Company/Regional differences in respect of subs and ground signals but a lot of that could be reduced to tabular format provided they're illustrated (I've got photos of quite a lot of them).  Regional Drawing Office instructions obviously varied - even after standard Signalling Principles were issued and of course they changed to but i think there is a lot of material thereto give a working basis.  

The only really awkward areas are in respect of subs changing over the years but I think you can get round that fairly easily  in tabular form.  The other one is route indication and junction signalling methods which might consume a bit of space but is not over difficult to précis.

The big commercial advantage of such a book is that it takes you back to the steam age but even more so the seemingly still popular eras of late steam/green diesels and also banger blue diesels so theoretically it should have a lot of appeal to modellers.

No, Mike is still there, just part time, as is Andy Mac.

Yes, you are right, I could backdate it a little, I could increase the content in the current book and make it all about 'modern signalling' and then take all the historical bits out of it and put into another book. That's a great idea, thanks Mike!

Of course, I ideally need to do three books, so I can have one with a red cover, one with a yellow cover and one with a green cover! :lol:

Simon

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

Yes, you are right, I could backdate it a little, I could increase the content in the current book and make it all about 'modern signalling' and then take all the historical bits out of it and put into another book. That's a great idea, thanks Mike!

Of course, I ideally need to do three books, so I can have one with a red cover, one with a yellow cover and one with a green cover! :lol:

Simon

Surely you need one with two yellow covers? :D And a feather or two ;)

I'd love to see something on early colour lights (specifically the GE mainline in the 1930s) but appreciate that's quite niche!

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Simon

Actually need two with yellow covers for anybody modelling certain parts of the Southern in the 1920s ;)

5 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Surely you need one with two yellow covers? :D And a feather or two ;)

I'd love to see something on early colour lights (specifically the GE mainline in the 1930s) but appreciate that's quite niche!

So presumably you have a copy of the lovely little booklet shown at the head of this page (and since sold). an excellent little publication and well wi orth a few quid. (it doesn't have any photos in it - it's an explanatory manual)

https://picclick.co.uk/LNER-Colour-Light-Signalling-booklet-283955320238.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Actually need two with yellow covers for anybody modelling certain parts of the Southern in the 1920s ;)

So presumably you have a copy of the lovely little booklet shown at the head of this page (and since sold). an excellent little publication and well wi orth a few quid. (it doesn't have any photos in it - it's an explanatory manual)

https://picclick.co.uk/LNER-Colour-Light-Signalling-booklet-283955320238.html

Ooh, it seems I have - checked my ebay emails and I bought it October last year for £3.50.

Not entirely sure which box it is in but it *should* be in one of them.

As you were!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I’ve just been watching a couple of inaccurate videos on colour light signalling from a north western retailer on YouTube and I thought it was worth bumping up this thread to make people aware of where they can get some accurate information on Colour Light Signalling

The book is still available from many outlets (the retailer mentioned above is not one of them!), and would make a great edition to any bookshelf!

This is the end of this public information broadcast / tiny rant! ;) 

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

The book is still available from my outlets, and would make a great edition to any bookshelf! 

And a superb book it is too - certainly helped me 'wise up' a bit on signalling.

Best

Al

Edited by YesTor
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks to Graham Muz, I’ve been made aware that Railway Modeller have reviewed the book in their latest issue (out tomorrow I think) and, without wishing to blow my own trumpet, given it a fantastic review, I’m really chuffed!

Remember, the definitive book on Colour Light Signalling for Model Railways (their words, almost, not mine!) makes a great Christmas Present, so order it now to avoid disappointment! ;)  

Simon

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

just thought it be worth giving another bump to the thread.

I had the sales figures thorough a few weeks and I’m pleased with them, but it would nice to keep them going, really only so the correct information on colour light signalling can get out to the modelling masses! :) 

Remember, if there is anything that you would like to see in another book, I would love to hear it!

Simon

• Like 1

I have a copy of the book and found it really interesting. I find the format of the books easy on the eye and the huge amount of pictures backing up the content really helps.

In terms of what I'd like to see in another book, I think it would be good to have a chapter or two on the modelling aspects. There are so many examples of different signals that the off the shelf suppliers are never going to be able to recreate every variety so perhaps some ideas on how to scratchbuild or adapt the off the shelf items would be welcome. As an example, I like the TrainTech signals and I'm currently mulling over how to combine their three aspect signal and ground signal to act as a position light for entry into a depot.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Remember, if there is anything that you would like to see in another book, I would love to hear it!

AS discussed further up the page, as I model late 60's/early 70's, I would be first on the list to buy version of the book which went a little further back in time, that is the only reason I haven't bought the existing book, although I shall now probably be told I should do anyway!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 27/05/2021 at 07:32, MartynJPearson said:

I have a copy of the book and found it really interesting. I find the format of the books easy on the eye and the huge amount of pictures backing up the content really helps.

In terms of what I'd like to see in another book, I think it would be good to have a chapter or two on the modelling aspects. There are so many examples of different signals that the off the shelf suppliers are never going to be able to recreate every variety so perhaps some ideas on how to scratchbuild or adapt the off the shelf items would be welcome. As an example, I like the TrainTech signals and I'm currently mulling over how to combine their three aspect signal and ground signal to act as a position light for entry into a depot.

On 27/05/2021 at 07:57, Enterprisingwestern said:

AS discussed further up the page, as I model late 60's/early 70's, I would be first on the list to buy version of the book which went a little further back in time, that is the only reason I haven't bought the existing book, although I shall now probably be told I should do anyway!

Mike.

Hi,

Your replies have got me thinking....

I've decided to take a load of stuff left over about actual signalling layout design based on common model railway track plans that I couldn't fit in the published book, combine it with some more actual modelling and planning and write a second book, include some stuff about control and operation etc,

I'm mulling over the idea of doing a second edition of the first book to remove the modelling aspects (keep the first book about the principles now) and adding in more details which I have since learnt about, including more details on era specific principles and modelling. Now, I don't know whether the publisher will go for a second edition so quickly after the first, so that might get wrapped in the second book.

My brain is racing away with ideas, so I plan to make a start at the weekend.

Simon

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

When I originally commented I was going to say something along the lines of the book being able to stand on it's own as a signalling book without reference to model railways. So maybe there is a market for two books - one as you suggest without modelling aspects, covering purely signalling and it's varieties over time and location and then a second taking that content and putting it into practice in model form.

As for the second book, chapters on putting signalling principles into practice in model form could serve as a groundwork to more practical chapters on representing signals in model form.

Whatever direction you choose, best of luck with it!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MartynJPearson said:

When I originally commented I was going to say something along the lines of the book being able to stand on it's own as a signalling book without reference to model railways. So maybe there is a market for two books - one as you suggest without modelling aspects, covering purely signalling and it's varieties over time and location and then a second taking that content and putting it into practice in model form.

As for the second book, chapters on putting signalling principles into practice in model form could serve as a groundwork to more practical chapters on representing signals in model form.

Whatever direction you choose, best of luck with it!

The $64,000 question is 'which Signalling Principles'?   There were not only Regional differences on BR into the 1980s but there were changes in practice within BR Regions over time.  My early 1990s copy of the Signalling principles - by that time applicable nationally is different in all sorts of ways from what exists today although of course the running ao isgnal aspect sequence has ben fairly standard since its creation in teh 1920s albeit with variation between Companies (and then R Br Regions in respect of teh aspect reading into platforms which were shorter than most others at a terminus or a bay platform.

And that of course is before you get to all the detail of signals themselves, the way they were numbered, telephone cabinets., location cupboards and so on plus, the way signal posts and bracket and gantry structures were built.  Certainly well into the 1970s and in some minor respects even up until the very late 1980s you could tell which BR Region had erected a new colour light signal.   And all those differences are one of the challenges that faces the author if he/she wishes to cover the subject comprehensively.  I've got dozens of photos which I took purely to indicate Regional and date differences between colour light signals erected from the late 1950s onwards = it's a big subject area to cover completely.. 

• Agree 1

• 10 months later...

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that, for anyone who might be interested, there will be an opportunity to chat to me about the book as well as buy a copy and have it signed (although I warn you that I haven't got a nice, collectable signature!) at the Kernow Model Rail Centre Open Day on Friday 29th April 2022:

KMRC Guildford branch third anniversary event and 20th year of the business celebrations. - Kernow Model Rail Centre - RMweb

I'll also be at the SWAG Members Day the Sunday before, and for those that want to buy a copy at that event, please contact me before the 15th April 2022.

Simon

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just to remind people, I will be signing copies of the book tomorrow at Kernow Model Rail Centre’s Guildford Branch for their 3rd Anniversary event:

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/n/175/Join-us-*this-Friday*-at-our-Guildford-branch-third-anniversary-event-as-we-also-begin-our-20th-year-of-the-business-celebrations

Simon

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have mentioned further back in this thread my desire to be able to write up detailed pieces about interlocking principles. Now I know that this would be a little bit of a boring and niche book for a mass market publisher, so I'm looking at taking the content from my layouts signalling control thread here:

Collingwood IECC - Creating a Prototypical IECC for a Model Railway - Page 2 - Permanent Way, Signalling & Infrastructure - RMweb

To turn into a booklet which I will have professionally printed and available for a small fee when I take my layout out to exhibitions. 

If this is something that would be interested in, please let me know so that I have some idea of 'market interest' and I'll go away and see what details I can get about possible costs.

In the the meantime, Kernow Model Rail Centre should have some copies available for sale at DEMU Showcase this weekend and I'll be on their stand flogging them and to answer any questions you have!

Simon.

P.S. I'm still thinking about that second book! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/07/2022 at 11:47, Bucoops said:

I'd buy a booklet - would you be OK with posting them as well as at exhibitions?

On 27/07/2022 at 07:23, richard_t said:

I'd buy the booklet as well. I have your book but it's still on my pile of books to read. I'll get to it sometime!

Hi,

I've sort of figured out size and costs, it is looking like it'll be a 40 - 50 page booklet, and would cost probably about £6 or £7 if I get a batch of 25 done, and I would have to sell the whole batch to make back the investment.

I'm in two minds about whether to continue with it, I would love to create it, but amongst other expense of getting the layout ready for GETS, I'm not sure if I can afford it at the moment.

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I’ve been trying to get a move on with this, but as I’ve been concentrating on getting the layout finished for GETS, I won’t be able to finish the booklet to get it printed in time.

I’ve got the content (more than just than what is on the IECC thread) 90% ready, it’s now getting it into a presentational state for printing and selling.

I’ll continue with it and will let people know when it is ready!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 2