• RMweb Gold

When I read the July issue online I had problems on some pages (e.g. the article about the Metcalfe corner shop, and on a few other occassions) the first two pages of the article are no problem, but when I try to get to the next page, but I was directed not to the next but two or three pages forward. I read on my Windows PC.

Markus

• RMweb Gold

When I read the July issue online I had problems on some pages (e.g. the article about the Metcalfe corner shop, and on a few other occassions) the first two pages of the article are no problem, but when I try to get to the next page, but I was directed not to the next but two or three pages forward. I read on my Windows PC.

Markus

I have this too on my laptop on some pages. I find it helps to slide the pages forward with the cursor instead of clicking the page turn arrow. 

Can someone share which page the Collett coach review is on please?

I wish I could but I don't even know why it's shown on the cover. I certainly haven't photographed or reviewed it so I don't know if anyone else has and whether it got squeezed out or whether it's just a complete mistake!

The Dapol GWR Railcar hasn't been released already has it? But then again I seem to recall decorated samples at Warley, so I might be wrong. It's certainly a product I'll be looking for at trade stands and second hand places.

The Dapol GWR Railcar hasn't been released already has it? But then again I seem to recall decorated samples at Warley, so I might be wrong. It's certainly a product I'll be looking for at trade stands and second hand places.

No; this refers to the Dapol Class 121/122 Railcar.

Andy I still have the high speed swapping of photos on p77on the latest mag in digital form.

I haven't seen any reference to a "cure".

I realise that you're a tad busy but would you kindly intervene and ask someone at BRM to please get the program developer to sort it. Clearly it is a bug and needs to be addressed by them.

Thank you very much.

Edited by terrysoham

• RMweb Premium

Can someone share which page the Collett coach review is on please?

I thought it was my age.......................I have had to check about 4 times but it still isn't there. Hey ho, I shall probably check again tonight as I will have forgotten by then.

P

The range of contents is certainly varied this month.  The first article to catch my eye was the masterclass on figure painting.  I need to study this carefully because awaiting my attention/ courage is a Modelu replica of a friend of mine.  "One of its prime exponents" is a strange name for a contributor.  Ah, there it is on the next page, Richard Rose.  Most of the other authors are named at the beginning of the relevant article.  This is as it should be.  Why change it?  I was mildly curious that Chris Hopper was singled out for the description "modeller" at the beginning of his piece on the Tin Turtle and its diorama.  Aren't we all?  Well, perhaps not.

I liked the piece by Simon Lilley giving prototype information on Class 71, which looks comprehensive.  The photographs were well chosen but are not credited.  One credit which has gone wrong is in the New Books section.  The author of "Rails Across Britain" is David Cable, as in Sir Vince, not Gable as in the Metcalfe kit which Phil Parker has so ably refined elsewhere in the magazine.

At this point a deep breath is taken.  In the Datafile accompanying Andy Y's thorough evaluation of the Dapol 122 is a list of numbers which belong to Class 121.  Even more diffidently, I venture the observation that there is only one prototype Deltic unless you include all those Kitmasters.

My apologies for appearing harsh are tempered by the observation that attention to detail is as relevant to a magazine about modelling as it is to modelling itself.

Chris

Some great content once again, but just in case I get labelled a sycophant, a couple of minor niggles too...

1. Out of four layouts, only one with a track plan. OK, one is possibly too simple to need one, but I for one find them an essential part of grasping a design. And while we're at it, why are fiddle yards always omitted? On some small layouts these are the complicated part! I know, I know - space constraints..... Perhaps some space could be saved with some slightly smaller photo images here and there?

2.As I was interested to see how the creator of Up the Junction had run HIS fiddle yards (it must have been a Squeeze; spot the pun, music fans...) I hoped the linked video might show me in the absence of a plan. It didn't, as YouTube says it's not available.

3. The figure painting piece is great (wait for the but...) But it would have been nice if one of the subjects described had been the loco driver, rather than, say, the hobo. We all have loco crews on our layouts. Not so many tramps! As our expert uses weirdly named Warcraft paints, it might have been better to ask him to use our more usual hues perhaps? Otherwise, wonderful to see how the techniques work, and a real quality job.

Otherwise, good issue as normal, gents. Enjoying it (honest!)

Paul H.

Hi Paul,

I take the points made on board. I certainly think the most important layout to show a trackplan of was Kirtley Bridge (which was what we did). As Duffield reflects the prototype I felt it was better to show the map as the model accurately reflects this until it turns back on itself to make an oval with long, long storage sidings on the other side of the oval. Up the Junction is a small section of a much larger layout of Mike's so a plan would have been somewhat truncated anyway; but he did send me some construction pics, maybe this one (although not having the rearmost tracks finished) gives a better idea of what the scene is made up of?

P1070277.JPG

It would have been literally pointless to have had a trackplan for Bluebell Cutting as it's a two-track oval with a wiggly bit over the canal scene.

Next month's 'Barmouth Junction' will only have a plan of the scenics too, if I show a diagram of how the whole series of layouts fits together I think you'll understand why too. It is a most stunning layout, Geoff's Cambrian empire is, in my opinion, one of the finest layouts in the country.

Layout Plan.jpg

• Like 2

2.As I was interested to see how the creator of Up the Junction had run HIS fiddle yards (it must have been a Squeeze; spot the pun, music fans...) I hoped the linked video might show me in the absence of a plan. It didn't, as YouTube says it's not available.

The video won't help with seeing the trackplan but I have checked that it's working from my copies of the digital mag.

I'll sneak it in here too as I was really grateful that Mike had sent me some video clips over...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some great content once again, but just in case I get labelled a sycophant, a couple of minor niggles too...

1. Out of four layouts, only one with a track plan. OK, one is possibly too simple to need one, but I for one find them an essential part of grasping a design. And while we're at it, why are fiddle yards always omitted? On some small layouts these are the complicated part! I know, I know - space constraints..... Perhaps some space could be saved with some slightly smaller photo images here and there?

Paul H.

As Andy has said Duffield is made up of long storage roads in the fiddle yard. This image gives you an idea of the size taken a few years ago (October 2011). If you would like to see more I can take some next time I am at club. Not an area I usually photograph 

post-7289-0-35951200-1498327515.jpg

Edited by Ramrig
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Huggy,

Thanks for the kind comments. The layout is a simple three track circuit - so the trains just continually go round and round. The shunting yard is connected up to a simple 'Y' point and 18 inches of track - this is just out of sight under the tunnel at the left hand side. Hope that helps.

The vid doesn't work on my IPad via YouTube either - but it works on here - many thanks Andy.

Regards

Mike

Edited by PaternosterRow

Wow thanks for the responses Andy,Ramrig & Mike, appreciated. Great work! I'm probably going to retain the personal view that a full layout plan of all but the simplest systems is helpful to fully provide the inspirations that help us less experienced types see how to do things. BRM is not the only publication not doing this, I should emphasise. It's not perhaps a big deal, but I'm sure I can't be the only one interested in how different approaches to fiddle yard design are carried out;after all, they are occasionally larger and more complex, track-wise, than the scenic layout itself! Anyway thanks again gents, I get the picture regarding both Duffield and the Junction much better now. All the best. P.

Edited by Huggy

• Administrators

3. The figure painting piece is great (wait for the but...) But it would have been nice if one of the subjects described had been the loco driver, rather than, say, the hobo. We all have loco crews on our layouts. Not so many tramps! As our expert uses weirdly named Warcraft paints, it might have been better to ask him to use our more usual hues perhaps? Otherwise, wonderful to see how the techniques work, and a real quality job.

I've covered figure painting using "our more traditional hues" a couple of times in the last two years so it makes sense to bring a different take on the same topic. Warhammer paint is very good (I have a boat with a "snot green" hull) and very easily available as Games Workshop seem to have stores or concessions in most towns nowadays. You sometimes stand a better chance of finding it than Humbrol. 

It's not unusual to see youngersters being shown how to paint on Sunday morning in stores. For them, the names aren't so odd after all, maybe we need to come up to date?

As our expert uses weirdly named Warcraft paints, it might have been better to ask him to use our more usual hues perhaps? 

What matters the name of the paint colour? It all depends on the manufacturer and range, and all that is required is to know that (Games Workshop Citadel probably in this case but I presume it was mentioned in the article). You should see some of the 'home decorating' ranges. 'Dove Grey' might better be described a battleship grey and 'Bubblegum' is a kind of pale pinky mauve.

G. 

• Administrators

What matters the name of the paint colour? It all depends on the manufacturer and range, and all that is required is to know that (Games Workshop Citadel probably in this case but I presume it was mentioned in the article). You should see some of the 'home decorating' ranges. 'Dove Grey' might better be described a battleship grey and 'Bubblegum' is a kind of pale pinky mauve.

G. 

I used a lot of "nutmeg spice" colour emulsion paint for scenic work. "Turd brown" would be a better, if not as poetic, description.

OK guys, I surrender!  Our own paint colours must seem a bit off the wall to Warcraft painters; then again, I doubt many heroic figures need to get painted in Track Grime or BR Mineral Grey. Now Phil, "snot green" I can picture!  Agree on the "nutmeg" colour too...    :bad:  And I suppose Humbrol's numerical system doesn't  convey a whole lot to the uninitiated either. At least the Warcraft  names are colourful....  (see what I did.... oh never mind)  :jester:     I'll just get on with building my coal yard shall I? 

Looking forward to the August issue already.

P