Amiens 1918 - WW1 Trench Railway - 009 Exhibition Layout

SDJR7F88

17th - 18th August 2019 saw Hornby Hobbies open their doors to the public for their first Open Weekend, held at their headquarters in Margate.
The 2 day event Celebrated Hornby's return to Margate with the first official public viewing of the 1:1 Locomotive Collection, which is curated in parted of the old factory, along with a selection of layouts and displays, including my WW1 Trench Railway - "Amiens 1918" and my Hornby Micro Layout - "Winters End". The Hornby Team were also on hand at the event, greeting visitors, and displaying some of their latest products and projects, from the vast Hornby Hobbies range.  
In this video we take a look behind the scenes, documenting our time at the event, while displaying "Amiens 1918" - my WW1 Trench Railway and "Winters End" my Hornby Micro Layout. We also taking a closer look at the 1:1 Collection before the doors open to the general public, as well as some of the new and exciting models on the way from Hornby! 
Special thanks to Hornby for putting on such a great show, and looking after us over the event.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

A short running session to mark Remembrance Sunday, and remember all those who have served and fallen, including the many brave men and women who served on the railways during times of conflict.  
To mark the occasion, I've put together this short running session featuring a number of clips of my 009 WW1 Trench Railway - Amiens 1918, as well as a slideshow featuring a selection of locomotives from my Railway Operating Division fleet. 
"At the going down of the Sun, we will Remember them"

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Been a bit of a while since I last posted. As you might of heard I got a new job down in Devon at Railway Modeller Magazine! So am currently living out of a hotel. However, it's not stopped me doing a spot of modelling...

Before and after pictures of my Minitrains Decauville Progres 0-6-0T, which is destined for the Trenches on my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway - Amiens 1918. 
I've weathered the model with a mixture of Citadel and AK Washes. 
Quite pleased with the results, considering it's in a hotel room! 

IMG_20191209_191004.jpg

IMG_20191209_202056-01.jpeg

IMG_20191209_201409-01.jpeg

IMG_20191209_201358-01.jpeg

IMG_20191209_201316-01.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 09/12/2019 at 22:09, PannierTanker14 said:

It looks brilliant. I haven’t yet used the Citadel washes (even though I often model Warhammer stuff) but it certainly seems to work for both steam trains and super tanks! :laugh:

Many thanks! Really is a superb wash! 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 11:22, tayloss said:

Looks amazing Callum and a very enjoyable build as always! Looking forward to the next build... :-)

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks ever so much Chris! 

Hopefully get around to a follow up at some point, living out of a hotel currently. Maybe one day :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Model Railway Noob said:

Good job Callum. I bought the green version a year or so ago as that was the only colour in stock. A nurse in a CCS commented that an ammunition train pulled by the Decauville passed through the CCS every day.

They are superb little models :)

15 hours ago, No46 said:

Hi Callum,

Your weathering is fantastic what methods do you use please. I see you have the citadel wash, do you use a 'dulling' varnish after as I know these can be quite shiny?

Thanks for any advice. 

The wash is applied just as. I used a slightly moistened brush to remove the wash from the centre of panels. Bar that, nothing else is really involved :)

• Thanks 1

Gave the rolling stock on Amiens 1918 a bit of much overdue TLC yesterday. Like the layout, the stock has not seen action since the Hornby Open Weekend back in August!

Each loco and wagon was giving a good dust, oil and wheel clean, and a quick test run. IIalso got around to fitting a crew to the new Grey Decauville Progres.

While the stock was out of the box, I did a bit of reorganising, and managed to fit a second storage tray in.

Next step is to get the layout itself ready for its first outing of the year, at the West-Super-Mare Show (Sunday 12th Jan). After that the layout is due to attend Yate, but after that, nothing booked due to a potential move . 

IMG_20191231_154100-01.jpeg

IMG_20191231_154113-01.jpeg

IMG_20191231_154121-01.jpeg

IMG_20191231_154133-01.jpeg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Callum. 

Also at the Yate show so shall see you there no doubt. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Many thanks! Hope to see you there!

Yes will do. 

Thanks for the lovely footage of Bleat in the Edington vidjoe by the way. 

I've posted it on the Sheep Chronicles. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Sunday 12th January 2020 saw the annual Weston-Super-Mare Model Railway Show, at the Campus, Worle, Somerset.
This years line-up featured no less than 27 layouts in a variety of gauges and scales, as well as a good selection of Trade Stands and Demos, with all funds raised going to local charities.
The event also marked Amiens 1918's (my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway) second Anniversary of being on the Exhibition Circuit.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 3

What a weekend for Amiens 1918 at the Weston-Super-Mare Model Railway Exhibition!  Got to be one of the busiest Weston Shows to date, and all rasing money all for a good cause. Not only that Amiens 1818 won "Best in Show" for a second year in a row, awarded by the town mayor! Honestly can't believe it! 
Was great to catch up with a number of you guys there! 
Full video of the layout in action is on the way soon, in the mean time, for those of you who couldn't make it, hears my video from a quick whip around the show.
https://youtu.be/33Jp4bTL3QY

IMG_20200112_160632-02.jpeg

• Like 5