Gresley Suburban Coaches - did they get lined when painted Maroon?

ScRSG

Lining on the Thompson ones seems to have been mainly a Scottish thing. Photos of ER ones even well into the 1960s generally show they remained unlined. The Gresley ones were withdrawn earlier than most of the Thompson ones so many would have gone before they had the chance to receive lining. 

Lining on the Thompson ones seems to have been mainly a Scottish thing. Photos of ER ones even well into the 1960s generally show they remained unlined. The Gresley ones were withdrawn earlier than most of the Thompson ones so many would have gone before they had the chance to receive lining. 

That's interesting, never realised that this was the case, I am old enough to remember going to school in Thompson suburbans (we always looked for the toilet composite with the short corridor!) and they were lined out. I assume, then, that the Gresley's were the same if they lasted into this period. Fortunately the layouts they appear on are all Scottish based!

That's interesting, never realised that this was the case, I am old enough to remember going to school in Thompson suburbans (we always looked for the toilet composite with the short corridor!) and they were lined out. I assume, then, that the Gresley's were the same if they lasted into this period. Fortunately the layouts they appear on are all Scottish based!

To put it another way, photos of lined Thompson ones on the Eastern are hard to come by but more plentiful for ScR ones.

One thing to watch out for on Gresley ones is that lined ones could be in crimson as that livery had lining 1949-51 and at least some GN Quad-arts carried lining so it's possible that other types that were painted in that period also carried lining. The lining itself was different to that on maroon stock as there was only one yellow/gold line at waist level, with black above. Essentially the same lining as on a crimson & cream carriage.