Farish Mk1 Crimson & Cream in Blue Riband?

Gremlin

• RMweb Premium

Farish have indeed made the current modern tooling Mk1's in crimson and cream.  The current catalogue lists CK, SO, SK, RU, BSK, BCK and BG versions.

I have been looking through the list of Farish carriages by number...how can I tell if it is Blue Riband or not?  374-815 is described as "BR MK1 FO 1st Class Open Coach, Running Number M3028 in BR Crimson & Cream Livery" and I had assumed that the BR part was British Rail...

• RMweb Premium

I have been looking through the list of Farish carriages by number...how can I tell if it is Blue Riband or not?  374-815 is described as "BR MK1 FO 1st Class Open Coach, Running Number M3028 in BR Crimson & Cream Livery" and I had assumed that the BR part was British Rail...

Although this coach doesn't feature in the 2017 Farish catalogue, the BR maroon one does--that's 374-816A, i.e the second version of that one; therefore you can safely assume that 374-815 is a current (formerly called 'Blue Riband') model. That would have been the first version of the crimson & cream FO in the 'Blue Riband' range.

I have been looking through the list of Farish carriages by number...how can I tell if it is Blue Riband or not? ..

Farish no longer use 'blue riband' in their promotional literature. However, you can tell by looking at the product; either a pic on-line or the actual model in a shop. The older Poole Farish coaches have a generic underframe while the newer Bachmann Farish models have more separate details, such as wire filler pipes, specific underframe details, window glazing inserts and a pack of fittings to add.

I believe that the product ref number is also a clue.

G

Edited by grahame

This is good time to to buy the MK1 in Crimson & Cream as Hattons are selling the SO for around £18 as Bachmann seemed to have dumped a load of cheap stock.

I wonder whether it is that Bachmann have supplied (dumped) a bulk load of new cheaper stock or they have simply authorised retailers to be able to discount their existing unsold stock by a greater than usual amount, perhaps providing some funding support.

G.

I wonder whether it is that Bachmann have supplied (dumped) a bulk load of new cheaper stock or they have simply authorised retailers to be able to discount their existing unsold stock by a greater than usual amount, perhaps providing some funding support.

G.

If you look at the in stock that's on offer at heavy discounts at the moment it is the same models (more or less) at each of the individual retailers - too much of a coincidence? 

If you look at the in stock that's on offer at heavy discounts at the moment it is the same models (more or less) at each of the individual retailers - too much of a coincidence?

I'd have thought that the 'coincidence' would be that those models that don't sell well in one retailer would also not sell well in others.

That would mean that similar ones would be left as unsold in many retailers and would be discounted in a sale, rather than any suggestion of a conspiracy to 'dump' models, although manufacturers do occasionally offer specially priced products for retailers to purchase to use in 'sales'. But if retailers are struggling to sell N gauge I doubt they would want to purchase more rather than shift what they already have.

G

Model 374 - 815 the Crimson & Cream open first IS a new tooling (Blue Riband) model.  I used to have two, until I decided to thin out my MK1 coaches.