Zinc Pest (Mazak Rot); The Affected Models List

Fellow modellers, please post details of your observed affected models i.e. Manufacturer, catalogue numbers and model description.

Please be kind to limit posts to just these details and refrain from general discussion so that the topic remains easily searchable.

Despite the polite request above, the thread had become a discussion topic......
Please continue to post, but ONLY details of models that YOU have observed in the example format:

(manuf) (Cat No.) (Model) (affected part)
Bachmann 32-150 N Class footplate casting distortion and break up

Any posts that do not contain this information will be hidden so as not to clutter the thread with general discussion, for which there are many other outlets on RMWeb.

Please continue to post as requested and the compiled lists will appear below in due course.

Rgds.

THE LIST

MazakRotList_v2.0_07042022.pdf

Edited by leopardml2341
New List Added
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 6 months later...

Thanks everyone for your input to this thread in 2017.

Please continue into 2018 and help your fellow modellers in completing this list as best we can.

I will update the files generally on a monthly frequency so don't worry if you've posted and it remains in the thread body for a little time.

Best wishes for 2018.

• 3 weeks later...

Another polite reminder:

Please continue to post ONLY details of affected models.

By all means link to here from other discussions about affected models - but keep this just as a postbox for models YOU can add to the list and increase its usefulness for all RMWebbers.

Thank You!

Edited by leopardml2341

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Further to the PDF list.  i have four different Klein Modelbahn class 2143s and each have suffered the Hornby class 31 style damage. In other words the mazak chassis block has expanded at the corners and cracked the plastic body moulding at each cab corner.

Will you please post the catalogue and model numbers?

• 1 month later...

G'day, all,

Yesterday, a fellow club member asked me to look at the tender chassis of a Hornby (Railroad) loco-drive Class 9f 2-10-0. This Mazac part of this chassis, modified by Hornby from the earlier tender-drive version, had warped and begun to disintegrate, jamming the wheels. It fell apart as we separated it from the outer plastic moulding.

Regards,

Rob

Is it this one? Hornby R2880 9F no 92221

If so, it's already on the list.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think I have one. Posted about this in a Hornby thread.

R2925 Clan MacGregor.

Front bogie. tabs holding rear axle bending outward, binding axle.  Tabs broke off when undoing the screw to replace the bogie.

post-6938-0-55830700-1536287453.jpg

post-6938-0-26376800-1536287522.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Another  front in the mazak rot war:

:Lima Class 20 - 20171 in large logo BR blue.

The chassis was very difficult to remove to get access to lubricate after long storage. On trying to lever off  the bodyshell a second time the main chassis block fractured across, at the weak point where there is a large cut out below the motor, just beyond the battery box block

Box shows 205247A1 , but this may not be original - I had the  model second-hand over 20 years ago

• 4 weeks later...

And an entry from Japan - the MicroAce N scale 0-series (original "Bullet Train") Shinkansen, catalogue number A-0259 (production year 2002, comes as a very nice wooden boxed set), which I acquired 2nd hand at a very nice price because:

46186643901_ba3a524aeb_z.jpg

MicroAce 0 series Shinkansen - chassis issue by Rail Squid, on Flickr

44369343480_9957ac2b0c_z.jpg

At this point in its life the chassis was only being held together by the plastic frame, and disintegrated into multiple shards:

46135988922_e97f615451_z.jpg

45284111705_9e9f46ec0e_z.jpg

MicroAce 0 series chassis (2) by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Known issue with this particular model. Fortunately MicroAce replacement chassis E0004 (actually for a 300 series Shinkansen) can be bodged to fit.

Edited by railsquid

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bachmann class 37/0 37242 Mainline Blue. Catalogue number 32-784.

Chassis warped and disintegrating with mazak rot and subframe badly distorted by the bow in the metal chassis.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

that's very concerning!!!!! have you to a picture? It might be worth having a chat with Bachmann about it when I raised concerns about a couple of 47s showing tell tale early signs they took it very seriously.

My 47s haven't shown any further issues but this loco is a very new model.

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I would like to add the Lima Prairie. Although this is basically a plastic chassis and body the weight is Mazak. 

Maker: Lima.

Model: Small prairie

Fault: Mazak weight expanding and bubbling.

Result: Cannot remove weight from chassis. Expanded weight making it difficult to remove body from chassis as it has expanded to grip both sides of the body from the inside.

Temporary fix: Filed weight insitu to allow easier fitting of body. Still unable to get weight out with out damaging chassis. 

Edited by cypherman
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Another one to add. Some of the Merchant Navy locos are on the list already but I have just found my United States Lines 35012 from the Orient Express set has the bogie rot issue - just fell apart in my hands. I don't think the loco has a catalogue number but the box set is R1038.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Mainline

Manor Class 4-6-0 Locomotive BR Green Livery

Model 37-043

Split chassis.

One half of mazak chassis casting has expanded thus jamming axles. Parts visibly blown, cracks visible and very brittle around motor mount. Snaps off when motor screw undone.

Other half dimensionally stable!

IMG_6569.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...

An increasing problem for Hornby 9F Railroad Loco Drive models.

The motor clamps are now decaying.

I have R2880 Loco 92221 where the mounting around the flywheel jammed movement thro expansion.

Then R2785 Evening Star 92220 where the motor mountings have warped enough to separate the motor

from the drive. …… It freewheels quite well.

On both the main footplate looks O.K at the moment I still have to check the tender from Evening Star, but

as already listed the tender chassis for 92221 has locked one axle thro decay expansion.

Geoff T

• Informative/Useful 4

• 1 month later...
On 06/06/2020 at 16:25, Dad-1 said:

Then R2785 Evening Star 92220 where the motor mountings have warped enough to separate the motor from the drive. …… It freewheels quite well.

Might have to give mine a look then as well. Hopefully mine's not affected

• RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2020 at 16:25, Dad-1 said:

Then R2785 Evening Star 92220 where the motor mountings have warped enough to separate the motor

from the drive. …… It freewheels quite well.

hmmmm, will have to check my Golden Arrow/R2785 Crosti conversion. Which part is affected?

On the 9F's I didn't even try removing the opposite end motor clamp. I didn't

see the point as both locomotives were and still are beyond further use. I should

write to Hornby with a moan, the reason is they are still making and selling 9F's

therefore in theory replacement parts could be available. However it'll probably

be a waste of time as they pass all spares responsibility on to Peters Spares.

Here are the two 9F clamps :- Evening Star's first

IMG_3648.JPG.b3ba9976eb76cc7d86e0e39803857876.JPG

IMG_3649.JPG.efea8888466351c5e566dc4698616540.JPG

I didn't photograph the tender problem because I knew I could make a

plasticard insert which initially seems like it'll be fine. However without

a working locomotive I can't do the final proof testing.

While it's difficult to throw stones at Hornby, they didn't use contaminated

materials by choice, but with current 9F products they should make spares

available. I have no reason to think they have changed the design as those

earlier products were fine - Until !!

Geoff T.

• Informative/Useful 2