Zinc Pest (Mazak Rot); The Affected Models List

• RMweb Premium

Well, I took a punt on a T9 R2711 from ebay because the seller specifically mentioned it being free of rot and a good runner. While I haven't test run it myself yet (waiting for a blanking plug), I have removed the body and given the chassis a good look over. No signs whatsoever of the dreaded rot. No cracks, chips, expansion, splitting. All looks good 👍

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Well, I took a punt on a T9 R2711 from ebay because the seller specifically mentioned it being free of rot and a good runner. While I haven't test run it myself yet (waiting for a blanking plug), I have removed the body and given the chassis a good look over. No signs whatsoever of the dreaded rot. No cracks, chips, expansion, splitting. All looks good 👍

I've got the two Olive green ones (R2690 & R2711) from when first released and they both still run fine.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I noticed in the list there is Hornby R1057 Princess Royal listed but no detail of the affected area. 

I have one and the issue, in my example, is chassis expansion around the gear tunnel and the rear driving wheel causing gear locking up.

I also have an addition Heljan 4611 OO gauge Class 47 diesel 47826 "Springburn" in Intercity Swift livery - general chassis expansion causing bowing of the body and eventually cracked cab fronts.

Thank you for your work on this list, it is an important and useful resource.

//Simon

Edited by Stentor
Gauge added to Heljan model for clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 20/11/2023 at 14:31, Fair Oak Junction said:

It's such a shame Hornby have seemingly washed their hands of the T9s. Considering how many fell to the rot, you'd assume a market is still there for new ones. They don't even really need to touch the tooling, just made them out of better (and longer lasting) materials. But I'm sure they have their reasons.

Replacement motor mounts are now available again for the T9. Super service from Hornby who sent me a new set to replace my Mazak affected loco. Thanks Hornby.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1