More 3D - adding something new every week

Latest design is a bit more of a challenge. The LMS and LNER had fairly standard Sentinel railcars but the Southern Railway decided to be different. It wasn't very successful, considered a bit of a joke by some, but it is different, and very much 1930s in design. A good first one to experiment with some tricky curves.

sr-sentinel-cammell-railbus-1.jpg

I have incorporated part of the chassis. It can be cut off to make finishing inside easier, if necessary. The roof will need smoothing down, but that is the difficulty with these multi curve roofs.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
new design
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the title so I could add different designs to same thread.

After doing some models which need a motor, I thought something which does not.

An important model, oddly have not found any drawings in NER society books, so based initial design on photos and known measurements.

The NER inspection saloon coach, possibly better known for its star role in the 1970 film The Railway Children. Amazed no model has been produced. As I am at exhibition this weekend at the KWVR, I thought I should have a go at a design. Hopefully I will be able to find some proper drawings.

ner-inspection-saloon1.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Latesr design is a bit more of a challenge. The LMS and LNER had fairly standard Sentinel railcars but the Southern Railway decided to be different. It wasn't very successful, considered a bit of a joke by some, but it is different, and very much 1930s in design. A good first one to experiment with some tricky curves.

sr-sentinel-cammell-railbus-1.jpg

I have incorporated part of the chassis. It can be cut off to make finishing inside easier, if necessary. The roof will need smoothing down, but that is the difficulty with these multi curve roofs.

I'm not familiar with this one. Very similar to Berliet diesel units for the PLM in France.

Where did it/they run and when?

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 1

It was built to run the Brighton to The Dyke service in the 30s, pre Bulleid though. Not very successful,  especially when service required an extra coach. Not many photos. Only other one I have seen is it running(or just visiting) the Westerham branch.

The roof has actually come out better than the image. some smoothing down , but not too bad. I am getting better at combining various curved cuts. One reason for doing this ralcar was to see if i could, and then hopefully others would be easier.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

The Sentinel is now up and running. Done in scales TT, HO and OO. Small, so will be a challenge to motorixze.

next I think will be the very successfull, and sadly not preserved L&Y steam railmotors.

The NER inspection saloon will have to wait till it is back at KWVR, so I can check some details. No drawings available.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• RMweb Gold

The Sentinel is now up and running. Done in scales TT, HO and OO. Small, so will be a challenge to motorixze.

next I think will be the very successfull, and sadly not preserved L&Y steam railmotors.

The NER inspection saloon will have to wait till it is back at KWVR, so I can check some details. No drawings available.

As a pragmatic sort of bloke, you probably won't mind a bit of cheating. So suggest you try building it as a 1B1. That should be easier to motorise.

The Sentinel will use a Bachmann Brill tram chassis, it just fits in and has nice small wheels.

the next design is on the way now, just a few things to double check.

The L&Y steam railmotor.

l-y-steam-railmotor1.jpg

I am wondering about doing the steps on the coach(just noticed loco has not got ones yet).coach steps might be a bit fragile though.  Also the guide bits for the control wires on coach roof.

I will also do the trailer coach(when I can confirm detals about ends), and the non corridor ended railmotor as originally built. then there is the earlier version, with the TVR type loco part, and the coach part in both original and with corridor connection .

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 6

I thought a chassis might be relatively easy for the railmotor. . For me finding on for HO even more tricky. The Liliput fireless loco fits, but you lose the daylight under the boiler, so I may go back to using a Dapol/Hornby pug, only downside being the simpler valve gear etc. but that looks better than messing with space under boiler. Alternatively a dummy chassis, but that means building one myself. TheLiliput chassis will fit nicely in the GWR railmotor, possbly even a SECR one with longer side tanks.

For OO the Rivarossi/Mehano/IHC chasis might work, but motor extends into coach. A cheap chassis would be the Hornby Smokey Joe type, and it might be possible to dbetter valve gear, cobbled from other old Hornby and Triang bits.

One railmotor  want to do is the Furness one. I remember the one Alan Catlow did in the 60s. I have side drawings of both the motor car and trailer, but no end drawings. The drawings I have seen I think originate from same source, certainly the one for the trailer car.

• RMweb Gold

The Sentinel will use a Bachmann Brill tram chassis, it just fits in and has nice small wheels.

the next design is on the way now, just a few things to double check.

The L&Y steam railmotor.

l-y-steam-railmotor1.jpg

I am wondering about doing the steps on the coach(just noticed loco has not got ones yet).coach steps might be a bit fragile though.  Also the guide bits for the control wires on coach roof.

I will also do the trailer coach(when I can confirm detals about ends), and the non corridor ended railmotor as originally built. then there is the earlier version, with the TVR type loco part, and the coach part in both original and with corridor connection .

Great work Simon.  Very much looking forward to building the L&Y rail motor.

I have had to do a couple of mods, mainly because of potential weekness in the ends between loco and coach,as some might require motor to protrude into coach. I hope to get a test print in HO done soon. I am now wondering if I should add a representation of the folded up steps. Was worried it might be a weak point, Finding a detailed photo difficult, as those I hacve seen are not absolutely clear, but will try it out before doing test print.

Looking at photos and i think the way the steps fold up is clearer now, so will have a go.

I still want to confirm if the separate trailer coaches had driving positions both ends or just one end.

Added the steps. They might be a bit chunky, but anything thinner will break.

l-y-steam-railmotor1a.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 3

moving up to the north east, and the electric trains introduced by the LNER on Tyneside. Most were articulated but also 2 luggage coaches and 2 single 3rd class kluggage coaches

lner-lugg-3rd-motor-coach.jpg

lner-dr-trailer-1st-coach.jpg

lner-driver-3rd-coach.jpg

lner-trailer-1st-coach.jpg

lner-trailer-3rd-coach.jpg

lner-single-lugg-3rd-motor-coach.jpg

some educated guesswork on roof vents, as drawings don't show them, so positions estimated from photos.

• Like 4

So I don't get too far ahead, I have gone back through my designs finihing some off. My Cl501 is now finished and done in 3mm/ft, 3.5mm/ft and 4mm/ft.

My Cl504  needs second coach, not difficult , and I am reasonably happy with the roof.

Then there is the E2 loco to make available, maybe the extended tank version to do, and the E3 tram in HO to resize as well. I have drawings for a Feltham tram so need to design that to keep the E3 company on my small tram layout.

Fancy working on some complete buildings, using my modules.

Although I have a long list of models I want to do, I still will take on ideas from others.

A BR cl120 DMU was suggested the other day, so I thought, why not. The way I designed the 504 with its angular front end helped a lot. It should not take ling to do the complete 3 car unit, as the centre coach has virtually the same side windows as one of the motor coaches and the other motor coach only has brake section and a few window changes.

A trailer coach for the L&Y steam railmotor was already planned, and was not too difficult, basing design om the railmotor coach. These were used as push-pull units after the railmotos were scrapped.

Then there is a trailer coach(type U) for the GWR R type steam railmotor(as preserved). It can of course be used as a standard push-pull coach. Knocked that up today. Again with the main design already done for the steam railmotor, it was just a case of different windows, and working out where the roof vents were(found a suitable photo).

gwr-diag-u-trailer-coach1.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 7

To show I take some suggested ideas seriously, I have just uploaded and made available BR Swindon built class 120 DMU.

Also uploaded Tyneside electrics (LNER articulated units).

Trying to get as much out of development box as posible. Now I can start on something nrew!

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

Livrpool Overhead Railway,

completed one of the 40ft motor coaches. The join of the curves on the roof, is not perfect, but is easy to sand down. I have started doing some track. One sample I will photo. Just need some info on position of 3rd rail, and distance between tracks. Probably will have to look carefully at some photos.

liverpool-overhead-40ft-mototor-coach.jp

• Like 2

I plan to do most of the GWR auto coaches, and steam rail motors eventually. I have basic drawings for them. I have started the trailer car for the restored steam railmotor, which I think is a type U.   Just moving around different themes at the moment, partly to appeal to as many people as possible, and also to not get bored. 

• Like 3

some photos of models now part way through building. Some tweaking to chassis, and adding window glazing.

gwr-steam-railmotor1-sm.jpg

The chassis is a Liliput(Bachmann) Fireless HO loco . even that was slightly too wide for British HO, hence had to cut out part of the chassis frame.For OO I would probably use a modified Smokey Joe loco chassis.

The L-Y steam railmotor is small. I had hoped the same motor chassis would fit, but you would lose the clear space under the boiler, so I used a Dapol pug, and that only just fitted, with modification. Again this is HO, and for OO might use a Smokey Joe cassis.

l-y-steam-railmotor2-sm.jpg

l-y-steam-railmotor2a-sm.jpg

This is the version with corriddor connection. I have done the matching trailer, and plan todo both the originalnon corridor, and possbly the coaches originally used in the first 2 steam railmotors, along with the Taff Vale style steam loco section.

• Like 4

With Hornby bringing out an ex SECR H class loco, it needs a suitable set of coaches, and the push-pull coaches converted from old steam railmotor coaches fit the bill. I have book by Mike King so had good drawings, but still need for detail for the articulated version(which was not push pull fitted)

. secr-railmotor-brake-coach1a.jpg

and the non driving coach

secr-railmotor-coach1a.jpg

These are initially for HO,but it should not be difficult to upsize the for OO. The buffers are basic but can be replaced.I find they can be week point.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 3

I did some small modifications, the buffers, and roof vents, and have uploaded to Shapeways and made available.

Also someone asked about a N gauge version of Tyneside artic units so resized and uploaded those. Trouble with N gauge , for some, might be that some things such as window frames have to be thickened to print, but can be filed down, if required.