More 3D - adding something new every week

Something a bit more basic, a Drewry petrol inspection car for standard gauge. Drawings of Drewry products are few and far between, so I was plesed tocome across drawings in Model Railways of the inspection car supplied to the North Srafford Railway. Many of the tye B  cars were produced, the NSR was soon rebuilt with a complete cab, bu I have kept it basic without a roof. The NSR did originally hav a basic roof, so I could do that at some time.

Not sure if it would go down to N gauge , but I might try. Motorising might be fun in any of the smaller scales.

Drewry-type-B-petrol-inspection-car-1a.j

• Like 2

Very nice, Simon, I'd been thinking of doing one of these myself, based on this car, built by Baguley in 1920 and repatriated from France. It lives at the Statfold Barn Railway but I first saw it when it visited "Tracks to the Trenches" at Apedale in 2014 (an event at which, in fact, you and I met and talked at length about 3D printing!). Here are some pics.

IMG_7387.jpg

IMG_7278.jpg

IMG_7279.jpg

Edited by 5D_Stoke
  • Like 2

The preserved version, as seen at Warley is actually a modified type C , not a type B. Type C originally had a smaller engine, and looking at ends has different radiator(?), otherwise similar.

Many different bodies were produced for these railcars, often further modified by railways.

I must have a phot of the preserved one when it was at Apedale, just can't remember it . The photos show up most of the differences, but then owners would modify the as well.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

As I said the preserved one is a type C. Just looked up details in IRS book and type C  has shorter wheelbase than type B. Only a difference of 13in and the whole chassis looks less bulky. I would assume width was the same, so it might be possible to work out a side on drawing from photos.

Wheels are smaller as well, which is possibly why it all looks proportionately the same.

• Like 1

Added more GCR coaches which were converted to use in pushpull trains. These worked in Manchester area and could be seen alongside ex LNWR pushpull stock. The 50ft coaches are a start of doing as many of the GCR 50ft  coaches(both clerestory and non clerestory) as possible.

The ex railmotor trailer has been based on original GCR drawing Ifound online, with alterations made using photo of coach in 1950s.

GCR-trailer-conv-pp-coach-1a.jpgGCR-baggge-composite-coach-1a.jpg

• Like 2

Back to big trains and the SECR birdcage coaches. In particular the 54ft long ones, some of which were modified to run on IOW. One set also ended up on Longmoor Military Railway, and the brake coaches are now preserved on KESR. Some of the IOW coaches are also presrved.

As to why Bachmann chose to do the 60ft coaches is odd given that the 54ft ones still exist,and there would have been opportunity to do an LMR livery version, and possibly modified versions for IOW. Maybe Hornby will do them, but in the mean time here are ones I have done. Iplan to do the IOW versions as well.

SECR-2322-1-brake-comp-lav-coach-1a.jpg

SECR-2311-2-comp-lav-coach-1a.jpg

SECR-2322-2-brake-comp-coach-1a.jpg

• Like 1

The IOW versions shuld not be too difficult. I have the book of drawings so I can see where the changes were done, not that much needs to be done for the non brake. Might even have a go at the last of the mods creating the all brake.

• Like 1

I still need to complete my collection of books on LBSCR coaches. There is sadly far too few r2r LBSCR coaches available.

Only thing I can't promise is a model of each individual version with its own indvidual plating over of panelling. I will do the obvious mods but leve it up to modeller to do others.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

Excellent news, I will be interested in IOW ones as well. (In  N gauge)

Bachmann not doing the 54' was a disappointment but for BR mainland prototypes was probably the only option, I think most of the 54' went to the Island and few if any would have received BR livery and use on the mainland.  There are a lot of variations in the LBSC vehicles.

I have now found my details for IOW Mets and will send you these soon.  (and I still need to give you contact details for the Drewry Tram).

Your Drewry Railcar looks  good,  I will dig out pictures of the IOW one, this was bought by the Freshwater  Yarmouth  &  Newport  Railway  in  1913,  very similar in appearance to your model but longer having 3 seat bays. Relegated to Inspection use by the SR in 1924 , finally scrapped in 1927.

Pete

• Like 1

Bachmann missed a big opportunity, Granted there may have been thinking mainland but the coaches only went to IOW in 1949, and many of the other ex SECR coaches were withdrawn by then. Also they missed not being able to do the LMR livery version, which would have gone nicely with some of their other items.

As for the Drewry, the IOW one I think you are referring to looks wider as well as longer. The wheels are under the body ,not alongside it. Otherwise it looks very similar. It might be possible to work out from photo, but can't guarantee absolute accuracy. Very tempting.

• Like 1

The GCR London Suburban coaches are next. As I had done the conversion of the all 1st for pushpull train, it was a relativey simple exercise, taking into account a few oddities such as idth of 3rd and 3rd brake being 2in narrower tan the 1st class.

GCR-london-sub-brk-3rd-coach-1a.jpg

GCR-london-sub-3rd-class-coach-1a.jpg

GCR-london-sub-1st-class-coach-1a.jpg

Hopefully next will be the IOW conversions of the SECR coaches.

• Like 2

working thorogh the coaches, the conversion to a passenger brake van, possibly most drastic, and with plain sides I decided to add some of the screw fittings, so I will probably now add these to the brake third. I am considering the version which retained some of its panelling, but unsure if all doors were panelled.

SECR-IOW-passenger-brake-van-conv-1a.jpg

I started on other coaches, but have a query on theconversion of the other brakes to all thirds d40. in Oakwood book it suggests in diagram of one end that panelling was removed. Also the non brake coaches were externally, apart from removal of roof vents, but some had panelling removed. one photo shows this, but some doors still had some panelling. did doors start out panelled? was it just removalof panelling, as topsurface looks level with panelling. Pity one of these is not preserved.

• Like 3

The other IOW coach conversions

SECR-IOW-composite-conv-coach-1a.jpg

SECR-IOW-d40-3rd-class-conv-coach-1a.jpg

I found a photo showing modified end of a d40 coach, and it looked flat without panelling,so did mine with flat end.

Still wondering whether to do the other composite with panelling removed, just not sure about doors. It might just be that doors were replaced over the years, so initial conversion had doors without panelling , but want to comfirm with photos. Also the passenger brake version with panellingon sides at original brake end. 

• Like 1

SECR Panelling  (IOW)

The carriages when transferred had the original panelling intact, the only places which had been flush sheeted were the areas which had been altered.

I was involved with the recent restoration of 4149, a Brake Third, this is as your first IOW model.

The alteration in 1949 had cut away the body sides between the original brake doors and the later luggage doors,  these  cut away sections were used to rebuild the Toilet fitted brakes as full Thirds,  the portion of Brake Van side being removed from these being transplanted into the retained Brake Thirds  to make the brake end larger.  The area beyond the luggage doors retained the original side framing, this had added horizontal stringers across the doors and window openings in the framing.

Hence a vehicle freshly transferred had flush sheeted sides on the Brake and Luggage spaces and a flush sheeted end on the original brake end.  The Full Thirds also had a flush sheeted end on what had been the brake end.  Undisturbed areas retained their mouldings but there was some detail differences between individual vehicles in the interface with moulded / flush sheeted  areas.

In  IOW  service any panel repairs were carried out by screwing a new steel sheet over the problem area on top of the mouldings, initially this gave a very patchwork appearance but by the mid 60's many vehicles had been almost totally covered resulting in the entire carriage looking to be flush sheeted.

One of the first moulded areas to go was the corners between the brake doors and the carriage end, these were quite fussy with a lot of short mouldings and small panels, any problems, one piece of tin over the entire section.  On 4149  with removal of the tin panel the remains of the original timber panels and mouldings were found to be still under it  (painted  BR Red).

Doors tended to remain with mouldings longer, perhaps with just the waist panel sheeted over but towards the end many of these had been fully covered.

Roof vents were removed prior to transfer as these would have fouled the IOW  loading gauge.

Pete

• Agree 1

So the non brakes converted first(1947), with no panelling had doors with panelling? If that is the case then I can do that as well. Anyalterations during their time on island can be done by modeller. In effect covering areas with thin tissue paper might work, or simply remove panelling. Far too many individual differences to even attempt more.

Your pictures as above appear correct for the carriages as transferred,  Not sure I understand your last post.

All doors as initially transferred retained their original  appearance and mouldings. Flush sheeting these was an Island mod over time.  The conversion of some vehicles to Full Brakes was done on the Island using surplus Brake Thirds following the Sandown Newport line closure. These were converted over 2 or 3 years and would need reference to photos of individual vehicles to be sure of the status of flush sheeting or otherwise on doors.

Pete

• Informative/Useful 1