More 3D - adding something new every week

Only question is whether doors were panelled or not when coaches arrived on the island. The drawing in the Oakwood book shows the composite coach with and without panelling, but the doors on the unpanelled coach are also unpanelled. The text says some coaches were converted in 1947 and had panelling removed, but don't say wheter the doors wee also stripped of panelling. The only photo in book looks like some panelling remains, but it could have been one of the later batch of coaches.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

Only question is whether doors were panelled or not when coaches arrived on the island. The drawing in the Oakwood book shows the composite coach with and without panelling, but the doors on the unpanelled coach are also unpanelled. The text says some coaches were converted in 1947 and had panelling removed, but don't say wheter the doors wee also stripped of panelling. The only photo in book looks like some panelling remains, but it could have been one of the later batch of coaches.

AFAIK The doors were all fully panelled when the coaches arrived on the island - the only bits that were unpanelled were the bits that had been changed, i.e. the new luggage compartments on the BTs and part of the ends of the former brakes on the thirds. The exterior of the composites wasn't changed at all, the only changes there being the stripping out of the toilet compartments and creation of saloons in their place.

The Mike King drawings show them as they arrived, and IIRC have notes on what was changed and when.

• Like 1

according to the Oakwood Press book,the first 3 composites had their wood mouldings on sides, doors and ends replaced at Ryde. The photo must be of other coaches which gradually lost its panelling. I think that suggests the first 3 were completely smooth, no panelling.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been busy on other designs, but now something for UK standard gauge. Working through NER Tyneside EMU stock. This time D98 and D99 stock. D96 and D97 have same body as D99 so thar is covered as well. Plan to do others eventually. Both these ones have driver ends so could be operated as a pair, but only the D98 has  motor.

NER-d98-luggage-motor-composite-1a.jpg NER-d99-driver-trailer-third-1a.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been busy, but more on testing a few ideas myself, not for production, to see what was possible. 2mm finescale modelling of Irish railways seems to me quite popular and following a request have dne a MGWR horsebox.

MGWR-horsebox-1a.jpg

Then back to mainland Britain(almost) and the ex LSWR O2 locos which were transferred to the Isleof Wight. Made sense to have a loco to work with IOW coaches I have already done

lswr-o2-iow-loco-1a.jpg

• Like 2

Another loco for a cange(someone sked) this time the GCR/LNER A5 4-6-2T loco. Later version with can side windows. I plan to do the original GCR version with cab cut outs , as well as the final batch which has a slightt smaller cab and bouler, once I have the drawings . Also looking at doing te 2-6-4T loco, wgich were mainly for freight but I have seen a photo of one on passenger train.

GCR-LNER-A5-steam-loco-1a.jpg

• Like 4

In the longer run I could be interested in a C12, a J6 and sets of quad or quint articulated ER coaches.  I say in the longer run (sometime next year) because as of now i have to spend a fair bit of time trying to dispose of a load of magazines and restore a N-guage layout I inherited.

Regards

• Like 1

I was asked about GWR coaches, in particular the ollett bow ended corridir ones. Hornby have done some, buut not all, and he re=quest was from an N gauge modeller, so with a bit of research I think I have done all the 57ft ones. I might add te odd 56ft one as one of them is currently being restored ans is in effect a shortened version of one of te 57ft ones.

I started with the passenger brake as this is the only one with proper drawings according to John Lewis book. Then the others just followed, noting the differences between sides, in particuar the guards compartment.

GWR-K38-passenger-brake-van-1a.jpgGWR-C54-third-class-coach-1a.jpgGWR-D94-LH-brake-3rd-coach-1a.jpgGWR-D94-RH-brake-3rd-coach-1a.jpgGWR-D95-LH-brake-3rd-coach-1a.jpgGWR-D95-RH-brake-3rd-coach-1a.jpgGWR-E127-LH-Comp-coach-1a.jpgGWR-E127-RH-Comp-coach-1a.jpgGWR-E128-LH-Comp-Brake-coach-1a.jpgGWR-E128-RH-Comp-Brake-coach-1a.jpg

Oviously both left and right handers. The passenger brake ended up being iused on Oceans Mail' train.

I was wondering about the non corridor 57ft coaches. Puzzled by theneed for left and right handed versions, unless it wasto keep roof vents in line. Again odd that only one roof vent per compartment and off centre. Can't find anything about why in books.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2019 at 19:03, Penrhos1920 said:

E128 was actually 58’4.5” long not 57’.  Which is why Hornby didn’t make it and the restaurant coach as they need a different chassis 

From what I have seen published all the 57ft bowended coaches were 58ft 4.5in over bow end. Corner to corners are 57ft.  I presume this is why they tend to be referred to as 57ft long, when it could be argued that they were longer. The extra length is there to reduce gap between coaches, I understand, or that is the reason given originally for te bow ends.

If I am wrong then this kit is also wrong https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/w9k/

not sure about the restaurant coaches, but finding drawings for those is more difficult.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I plan to do as much of the London Met stock as possible. A big task, not helped with multiple versions due to rebuilds.

Latest are the Ashbury bogie coaches, which ultimately ended up on Chesham branch and now preserved. I have been asked to do some of these,so have done as many variations as possible .

met-ashbury-bogie-motor-brake-third-1a.j

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

I plan to do as much of the London Met stock as possible. A big task, not helped with multiple versions due to rebuilds.

Latest are the Ashbury bogie coaches, which ultimately ended up on Chesham branch and now preserved. I have been asked to do some of these,so have done as many variations as possible .

met-ashbury-bogie-motor-brake-third-1a.j

This is slightly annoying seeing you selling these now. Ive had a pair of the brake/trailer bodies and chassis designed by Bluebell Model Railway on Shapeways which I started to convert to the motor version as it was in the early days of the Bluebell. I'd started the conversion but put it to one side as I couldn't find a way of doing the vents on the sides of the brake.

Just looked at your Shapeways page and you've done the trailer as well. I would like to complete the set eventually but the bodies/chassis I have were expensive so would be a bit of a waste to replace them with yours. Suppose I could graft the ends/vents onto the bodys I have already? In theory they should match up. I assume you work from drawings when designing these models? 

What doesn't make sense is why his bodies are 3 times the price of yours?

I admit there's other Southern Region models of yours that's been tempting me

• Like 1

On 08/12/2019 at 19:32, Pre Grouping fan said:

This is slightly annoying seeing you selling these now. Ive had a pair of the brake/trailer bodies and chassis designed by Bluebell Model Railway on Shapeways which I started to convert to the motor version as it was in the early days of the Bluebell. I'd started the conversion but put it to one side as I couldn't find a way of doing the vents on the sides of the brake.

Just looked at your Shapeways page and you've done the trailer as well. I would like to complete the set eventually but the bodies/chassis I have were expensive so would be a bit of a waste to replace them with yours. Suppose I could graft the ends/vents onto the bodys I have already? In theory they should match up. I assume you work from drawings when designing these models? 

What doesn't make sense is why his bodies are 3 times the price of yours?

I admit there's other Southern Region models of yours that's been tempting me

I was wary of doing anything alreay done, but I was asked do do the Chesham coaches for a specific project, so decided to do them all. I have my way of woring, it means I can design quite quickly, and create designs in virtually any scale. I tend to start with 6 scales, sometimes less someimes more. I try to breakdown design to make it less laborious, so with these coaches I did all of them in one scale at a time, then put them live. Only when I had done them all did I add them to my own website and publisis them. This took about a week.

As for prices I work on a formula suggested by someone.It seems to work. Just a pity that OO is somewhere in the mddle, so seems more expensive as SW base price is dependant space used and OO wastes a lot.

My main interests are anything electric suburban(up to Mk1), and I aim to do as many of the ones that ran in Britain , but am also interested in non UK railways, standard, narrow and broad gauges. If I can find a drawing and I like it then it goes on the list to do. 

• Like 1