More 3D - adding something new every week

• RMweb Gold

Nice change from the LMS Ro-Railer bus I am working on

I would be very interested in this as the Leamington & Warwick Model Railway Society is building an N gauge model of Kineton which is on the Stratford upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway (SMJR) on which the Ro-Railer operated.

I have some plans and background information if that would be of interest.

JCM

I would be very interested in this as the Leamington & Warwick Model Railway Society is building an N gauge model of Kineton which is on the Stratford upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway (SMJR) on which the Ro-Railer operated.

I have some plans and background information if that would be of interest.

JCM

I have the published drawings, which give enough for a small model I also found the collection of photos onliine(Warwickshire site), so not sure if there is anything else. Are the plans, official documents.

I have put it to one side, as I am working on other projects. What is interesting is the somewhat casual way it was used. The story that one journey had to be done in reverse!. It was a nice dea, but they were designing a bus, with guide wheels in the USA , which was the forerunner of the road/rail vehicles used for track maintenance here and elsewhere. Having seen film of the original running in 1935, it is surprising something similar was not tried out here. The only possible problem might have been that it ran(very smoothly) on its rubber tyres, so was just as quiet(and therefore difficult to hear by track staff), as the Micheline railcars tested.

• 3 weeks later...

Straying into Furnes territory, with FR steam railmotor and trailer

furness-steam-railmotor.jpg

furness-steam-railmotor-trailer.jpg

I used published drawings, but found front end of steam railmotor was slightly different in photos. Not many photos,and those that show ends are all of no 1. Drawings also show a door on cabside, but again not in photos. I have left the wire mesh gates off, as not really that easy in 3d printing.  I may have a play around.

As with other designs I have got it down to N gauge as well as OO, HO and TT3.

Chassis will be fun as wheels are very small. Amazing to think Alan Catlow got away with adapting an old Triang Nellie chassis(without valve gear etc).

I do like these old coach designs, as they are relatively easy to design, once you have a basic design to follow.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

add in the cost to build a kit, and it is not as bad value. These are a half way step between kits and r2r.

True, just a bit beyond my budget atm is the problem. But a Brighton set would be nice. Any chance you might do things like bogies for them etc?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to someone sending me copies of cl502 and cl50 EMUs (Skinley drawings based on BR originals).  I managed o design both these classic LMS built units, essential for MNW /Merseyside modellers

cl502-driver-trailer.jpg

cl502-motor-brake.jpgcl502-trailer-composite.jpg

cl502-trailer-third.jpg

cl503-driver-trailer-third.jpg

cl503-motor-brake-third.jpg

cl503-trailer-composite.jpg

Very tempting! My grandmother lived on the Wirral and I always enjoyed our trips into Liverpool on these trains. They seemed so much better than the 4SUBs which were the mainstay of our train service in Surrey.

Following a request from an LMS society member I have done the alternative version of the LNWR steam railmotor.

I then thought I would switch railways again and had noted discussion elsewhere on fiorum about lack of a 'proper' GWR auto trailer coach, so just done the Z diagram version.

gwr-diag-z-auto-trailer-coach1.jpg

Now I fancy something either Southern or LNER.

• Like 1

I didn't think it fauir that only OO modellers should get an ex NER/LNER dynamometer coach, so created one myself. A bit more basic, but still OK.

ner-dynamometer-coach-1.jpg

Available in 00 for those who are happy to build but baulk at the cost of 150 pds for a coach? Edited by richard i
  • Like 1

Must slow down, this is getting crazy!!

As I have Mike King's excellent book on SR push pull coachesI had wanted to do the LSWR pushpull stock, sometimes referred to as gate stock.

Instead of going up against the Kernow model just released(will dio this eventually(), I thought I should start at the beginning so the slightly shorter Plymouth stock it would be. This was the only other similar push pull stock not converted from steam railmotors. and I have done it in both original(air vents probably not quite right, but OK), and as modified by SR.Stock was withdrawn by 1940 though.

lswr-d136-pushpull-coach1.jpg

lswr-d25-pushpull-trailer-coach1.jpglswr-d136-pushpull-coach-modified.jpg

again basic, but a good start for someone.

As I mentioned the 1914 stock, I should be able to do this with original driving end, so for those who want pre SR verssion..... 

Also no controversy over what is under the chassis as I don't include that.

Must slow down, this is getting crazy!!

As I have Mike King's excellent book on SR push pull coachesI had wanted to do the LSWR pushpull stock, sometimes referred to as gate stock.

Instead of going up against the Kernow model just released(will dio this eventually(), I thought I should start at the beginning so the slightly shorter Plymouth stock it would be. This was the only other similar push pull stock not converted from steam railmotors. and I have done it in both original(air vents probably not quite right, but OK), and as modified by SR.Stock was withdrawn by 1940 though.

again basic, but a good start for someone.

As I mentioned the 1914 stock, I should be able to do this with original driving end, so for those who want pre SR verssion..... 

Also no controversy over what is under the chassis as I don't include that.

They look a good starting point. Plenty of interesting designs that are never likely to be dealt with by RTR manufacturers (though Roxey do some of the stock iirc).

I had heard some of those buying the Rails coach were planning to run it. Knowing how fragile scale models are, I think that is a bit risky for a coach costing that much.

So is that a yes to a 00 version? I build things to run and I prefer that approach to buying rtr.

Richard

They look a good starting point. Plenty of interesting designs that are never likely to be dealt with by RTR manufacturers (though Roxey do some of the stock iirc).

It's Falconbrass Works who do the etched LSWR gate stock. Currently they are only listing the etches on their own. For some reason they only appear in the SR list, not LSWR. I can't say how accurate they are - they date, AFAIK, from early Jidenco days, and I don't know if they represent the original condition, or later variations.

Got distracted by a room sort out today, otherwise I would have had the OO,TT and N gauge versions of Plymouth stock  done. Tempting as it is I will move onto something else, another railway, possibly a brake van which has been suggested.I am trying to keep a balance between railways.

• Like 1

If you find yourself in a spot for wanting a challenge, try looking up the southern railway bulleid 4DD units. Uniquely different and never likely to ever be done in RTR.

But small wagons would be pretty useful items. Look at the various kit ranges and pick some gaps between them perhaps. There are a number of unique London transport engineering wagons that could be done and prove useful for underground layout modellers.

Has anyone purchased one of Simon's prints and finished it to run on OO/16.5 mm rails?  If so please share a pic or two showing what you did to complete.

This is not a criticism or skeptical comment. I just want to get an idea of what I am getting into if I purchase a print.