More 3D - adding something new every week

I think we may be getting a tad confused here? The pics I have shown are of the motor car of a 2-car dmu, with the trailer car arriving today. They are a standard length dmu, so there are a number of options. RTR chassis include 101/105 etc from Bachmann, also the chassis available from Replica. I have no idea (yet) how easy they fit; obviously some slight adaption will be necessary. A railbus unit would not work as supplied as it is only 4 wheel.

Stewart

Now Gazelle and first coach done

smr-gazelle-loco-1a.jpgsmr-first-gazelle-coach-1a.jpg

As they are so small, virtuall N scale in OO, FUD option on OO and smaller, and only FUD/FED for N gauge. No chassis for coach as coach body is so narrow, better to create one to fit.

Just working on the other coach, which was converted from one of the railcars. Thus the railcar will also be done at same time. Other railcars will follow.

Just got a copy of book on the S&MR railway from 1940-1960, a fascinating line, make a nice model, with all those old locos, and rolling stock, some even being given back to British Railways.

• Like 4

Les Darbyshire did a superb collection of drawings , published originally in MRN. I have most of them, but they are also online. The Colonel Stephens Society has copies to purchase as well. Les had said that the one drawing not quite accurate was the KESR steam railcar, his original drawing showing it as 8ft wide, not 9ft. I adjusted for this, and now Les has just published new drawings showing correct width, with both original and later versions as well. I have therefore done some small modifications to my design to fit the new drawings, and plan to also do the oriiginal version which had a different front end and a couple of other diffrences.

One of the advantages of 3D printing is that designs can be updated, as/when new info is found.

There are also new drawings for the coaches Gazelle used, but apart from adding chassis to original coach, nothing I can see is that different. Fitting a chassis to the narrow body of the original coach is still difficult, but I have thinned down the chassis for the second coach so will check to see how it lines up on the orginal. Ironically OO (assuming small enough wheel can be found), will have fewer problems!

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• RMweb Premium

Simon,

I have the L&Y Electric Bury driving motor and trailer 3rd, which I bought as soon as they were available. I have motorised them, a little difficult because of the vestibules.

However they are currently running on cl504 underframes as I have not found any pictures, do you have drawings that you could supply me with? I would be happy to pay for them.

Simon,

I have the L&Y Electric Bury driving motor and trailer 3rd, which I bought as soon as they were available. I have motorised them, a little difficult because of the vestibules.

However they are currently running on cl504 underframes as I have not found any pictures, do you have drawings that you could supply me with? I would be happy to pay for them.

Not sure how much detail is on the drawings I got fro L&Y society, but I can copy what I have and email them. Some drawings can be found on the L&Y society website, as collectionis being digitized.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure how much detail is on the drawings I got fro L&Y society, but I can copy what I have and email them. Some drawings can be found on the L&Y society website, as collectionis being digitized.

Thanks, anything would be better than a 504 underframe. I will look at the L&Y site too thanks for the tip.

• RMweb Premium

PM sent with my email address. I could not immediately find any drawings of these on the L&Y site.

As you are intersted in railcars and light railways, have you considered this?

https://www.lner.info/locos/IC/gcr_petrolelectric.php

The GCR petrol railcar. It ran sometimes with a six wheel coach and was always kept in top condition by its dedicated pair of crews.

Richard (shameless GCR modeller)

I think I have seen a drawing somewhere, and if so, it's on my list.

• 2 weeks later...

Information is key to any design. One reason I started on Colonel Stephens stock, was the excellent drawings from Les Darbyshire. He has now updated most of them, but there are still gaps. With the 150 year anniversary this year I expect some interest.

Luckily I had contact from the colonel Stephens Society(I now intend to join), and thanks to Albyn Austin I have what should be the most accurate drawings for the small Drewry railcar and trailer  used on the WCPR. I am therefore modifying those designs.

Trouble with designs based on stock no longer existing(and no builders drawings), is veryifying dimensons. I am still working on the second coach used with Gazelle, which had been converted from the Wolseley railcar. Measurements had been taken from when it was a lineside shed, and more recently when it was a ruin, and there are some differences. Drawings for the railcar in one book, don't match, so I am using Les Darbyshire's drawing as a start point for the railcar.

Good thing about 3D print design is that I can alter designs without having to modify moulds etc.

With respect to anything GCR, againI would hope someone or some society has either decent drawings, or working diagrams . Those that the NER Society have are good enough for their stock, as are te LNER ones, so would hope somethin similar exists for the GCR.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Nothing I can see for the railcar in the archive list, unless it is buried somewhere less obvious. I will check out George Dow's books. Had forgotten about them. Looking at books on Amazon, and nothing indicates how many drawings are in books.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

The WCPR railcar is now back up and on website

wcpr-small-drewry-railcar-1.jpgNote the extra luggage rack and other details.

wcpr-small-drewry-railcar-trailer-1.jpgwcpr-open-drewry-railcar-trailer-1.jpg

The trailers have been lengthened based on recently discovered drawings. Again nothing is absolutely certain, but I think as close as can get.

Stcking with the Colonel, the second coach for Gazelle(including luggage rack), and the Wolseley railcar it was based on.

For the railcar, I found that the space used by the O gauge ersion meant it costabout he sae as the Gauge one version, so for both O and G1 I have done then as separate chassis and body. For the smaller scales, chances are someone might prefer to cut out the chassis to fit motor.

smr-second-gazelle-coach-1a.jpgwolseley-siddeley-railcar-1a.jpg

wolseley-siddeley-railcar-body-1a.jpgwolseley-siddeley-railcar-chassis-1a.jpg

Haing the chassis separate, might mean the original wolsely unit tested coud be built.

• Like 2

Got both the book done by George Dow, and the Nov 68 edition of RM, with pushpull drawings. Had not realised they wre converted from steam railmotor. Useful, as I hope to do the steam railcar eventually. Very similar to the Gloucester built ones for GWR, but in railmotor days they had gates not double doors, Certainly considering doing the loco as well.

The petrol railcar should not be too difficult. Just trying to work out just how far the sliding doors stick out. Odd end profile shape though. Also interesting that most of the coach drawings in the book are very near to HO scale. More difficult to resize to 1/76, but OK for me,as I usually work from 1/43 scale drawings.

In the mean time, apart from sorting out the odd problem of rejections of old , and test printed, designs. I have done most of the work on seats and gates for my LSWR gatestock. Gates done down to N, but seats only for O and G1 for the moment. Seats are in WSF, but gates will be in FUD.

• Like 3

here was also a 6w bogie auto coach as well as the steam rail motor conversions.

I noticed that in the artilcle in RM. Was the body design the same, if not are there drawings somewhere?

Resizing drawings is no problem, just that most in books are 1/76 so easy to up to O scale to do 3D design(it is easier in that scale).

Just added some fittings for my LSWR gatestock, namely seatng, initially in only 1/43and 1/32, but hopefully will resize thedown when I have time.

lswr-d25-seat-set-1a.jpglswr-d136-seat-set-1a.jpg

Also the folding gates in bth 'as new' and worn condition.Then tended to stretch and droop as the years passed!

lswr-d25-d136-lswr-folding-gate-new-1a.jlswr-d25-d136-lswr-folding-gate-1a.jpg

seats are in WSF(probably FUD for smaller scales), and FUD/FED for the gates to get the detail.

If I can find drawings for other coach seats then I should be able to do those, also the folding gates were used by other companies9including GCR steam railmotor), but I would have to check size. Havingworked out how to do one set, it should be possible to do other intricate designs, but will have tohave a play. The fixed gates on the Kernow gatestock are quite elabrate in design.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

I noticed that in the artilcle in RM. Was the body design the same, if not are there drawings somewhere?

Resizing drawings is no problem, just that most in books are 1/76 so easy to up to O scale to do 3D design(it is easier in that scale).

There is a drawing. I would need to track it down. I am great at collecting drawings, less old at storing them in some sort of logical manner.

Richard

There is a drawing. I would need to track it down. I am great at collecting drawings, less old at storing them in some sort of logical manner.

I would be grateful, as I am building up a good collection of railmotor rawings myself.No hurry, unless you want a model done .  Unfortunately many drawings  only show sides, but can usually work out end detail from photos as long as I know width.

With the GCR coach.it is interesting just how similar they are to the Gloucester produced ones for the GWR(The Swindon ones only had single doors). I know it has been commented on, but even the double doors on the pushpull conversion. Was the steam railmotor only fitted with metal gates.Photos only show that? Might then have to do the internal partition,

The petrol railcar is definitely on my list now, but it is geting a very long list!