More 3D - adding something new every week

Ooh, that G1 parcels railcar looks tempting. Have you considered the AEC/BUT vehicles in G1? Are the later 4 wheel railcars too recent for you to consider, as they would make an interesting gauge 1 vehicle.

Thanks

Dave

The BUT /AEC railcars are now in O gauge and G1(1/32).

I have also done some finetuning to the designs  in other scales,as it needed to be done for the bigger scale models.

Before I look at the 109, I am workibgon something simpler, the LNER articulate suburban non corridor coaches, in paricular the quad sets and as they are similar, maybe the quints .

By chance I started with what I think was started by the GNR, and became diagram 72a. It is similar to the old Kirk kit, but some differences to guards end panels. Also some drawings show rainstrips, but not on official diagrams, which show small strips above each door. I got detail for roof vents from  some other drawings online. There were proably lots of small differences, but easy to modify by any modeller.

As the LNER seems to use a lot of standardisation, it might be possible to do other non corridor coaches.

• Like 3

I have those diagrams. Never certain how accurate these are, but they are a start.If there are better ones out there, I would like to see them. At least the are only 2 coach units.

had a word with a few relevant groups , been given a few pointer's where to look . the dmu group that look after the only surviving set have said they are happy to let me take any measurements Id like ...
  • Like 1

The drawings are a lot better than many I have had to work with. Certainly good enough for a model, but would welcome any extra info. Getting the curve on the cab ends is tricky part. t is interestng that Wickhams had some almost art deco(LNER?) features in design. The cab roof is more style than practical, and the internal partitions were swept back, not disimilar to what the LNER was doing.

Does anyone have more info/photos on the ones sent to Trinidad and Tobago, after they got there. I had read that the bodies ended up as garden(?) buildings.

The LNER articulated suburban coaches are a lot more complex(not design, but variety) than I expected, but have worked out how the original diagrams were used. I will then have to look at the other quad sets built for the GER line, which used mainline coach design, and shared coach design with some twin units.... it just goes on and on. So I will put that off for a while, and hopefully the 109 will be next project.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

OO.HO and TT versions of quads and quints done

lner-quad-d72-brake-3rd-1-1a.jpg lner-quint-d80-brake-3rd-coach-5-1a.jpg

The larger windowsin the Quintuple brake coach are virtually the same as the push pull coaches, and addsweight to the idea that it was proposed to convert these sets to EMUs.

Now for the N , O and G1 versions.

Then I can look at the 109, after doing some atual model making!

• Like 5

I can offer smaller scale models in FUD, but there is a max size. In fact for N gauge I am now starting to do some in finer scale for printing in FUD. Personally I don't think it worth while for many models(some yes, but only a few) . I deliberately don't put some finer detail on models, and for me WSF actually creates rivets better.

It is a lot easier to paint WSF, and only needs some decent sandpaper to smooth down the surface(if it bothers someone). Most of the industrial and light railway locos and stock actualy have rough surfaces, so something smooth looks wrong to me.

Enamel paints don't exist in my world these days. I moved on to acryllics over 20 years ago, and now even use low cost emulsion paint, I can get locally without having to find a model shop. I am experimental,and use what is cleaned iff brushes to do weathering. All very cheap, and easy. I think there is too much clever, buy this to do this fancy paint /weathing job , and that is great for the companies producing the stuff, but there are other, more creative ways. Maybe it is because I take an art approach to the hobby, not an engineers one. I prefer iimpressionist artwork, to the ultra realist(but skilled) ones. Picasso famously gave up traditional painting, as he said cameras could do that. I create complete scenes, and prefer everything to blend in.

• RMweb Gold

Yep, that's fine, I've had both and I personally am not a fan of WSF but I know others do like it, didn't wish to dredge up the argument again but I've made me choice and won't buy WSF again. If you could make one available in 1/76 FUD then I would like to purchase it within the next few months :)

• RMweb Premium

Now the Pickering railcar would definitely be one to go on my shopping list as it would be perfect for my little light railway.  Have you given any more thought to producing the 6 wheel coaches in 'O'?

Today I received my first Wickham dmu car - the other one is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I took a few quick pictures with the phone, this is it straight out of the box:

post-2049-0-48329600-1520450760.jpg

post-2049-0-41818500-1520450770.jpg

post-2049-0-92839800-1520450778.jpg

post-2049-0-03006000-1520450787.jpg

post-2049-0-70841300-1520450797.jpg

post-2049-0-22306000-1520450809.jpg

post-2049-0-20898000-1520450818.jpg

I never thought I would get hold of a 109, an important omission from my E.Anglian collection. I haven't had much time for a look at it yet, but first impressions seem very good. Many thanks.

Stewart

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

It looks good, but I think there is something not quite right about the cab windows, compare it with http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-109/liveries, and does the gutter go all down the side?

A set of nickel silver window frames would also be good for all the windows, which would really finish it off.

Andy G (and miles ahead of the version I tried making, which ended up in the bin!)

Edit: Is the shape of the sides right? They seem to be more vertical, and less Mk1 in this picture: http://www.railcar.co.uk/images/1654  http://www.railcar.co.uk/images/1885 And the picture on this page http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-109/description gives a good view of the framing at the inner end, which suggests a vertical side with a turn under below waist height

Edited by uax6
  • Like 1

Concentrating on small prototypes, probably will work through some Colonel Stephens railway items.

KESR Pickering steam railcar for a starter

What might be a suitable RTR chassis to pop under one of these?

I have in my bitz-box, most of the chassis & motor (though in pieces) from a complicated 101 3-car conversion using a Lima centre car. I'm hoping to re-construct suitable underframes from these and some Lima parts.

I'm confident that something good can be made from it - better than the old MTK one that I disposed of many years ago. I'm quite excited about this one anyway.

Stewart

What might be a suitable RTR chassis to pop under one of these?

Depends on scale/gauge for a start. As far as I know there is nothing that will directly fit in OO. In N there are some small Kato/Tomix chassis which might fit. For OO,the Hornby Pacer chasis could be shortened.