More 3D - adding something new every week

After another request, this time for a Cockerill loco, something which was actually on my list, but was looking for more drawings, I searched around and found enough info(I hope) to do a type IV loco. Some of these are preserved in the UK. I will do other variations, bt the basic shape did not change.

cockerill-type-IV-loco-1a.jpg

There is a very nice one running in Lxembourg whic is used to pull passenger trains!!. Nice little but very tough beasts.

• Like 2

Back to Colonel Stephens and the original bogie coaches than ran on the Selsey Tramway. Based on drawings by R Mann. Both in original condition, brake coach end withsupposed 3 windows in end(no absolutely clear photos ). Plan todo brake coach in later condition with different end(Ihave a very clear photo).

HMSTY-Selsey-Falcon-brake-coach-1a.jpgHMSTY-Selsey-Falcon-coach-1a.jpg

It should also be able to do the other bogie coach as there are only a couple of differences,

Edited by rue_d_etropal
mis spelling
  • Like 2

I have wanted to model Irish 5ft 3in gauge for many years but matching scale to established9ie easy for me) trackkgauge has always put me off. The shortage of published scale drawings doesn't help, but I found a drawing for the Walker built articulated railcar than ran on the SL&NCR and is currently awaiting restoration. The big brother of the County Donegal railcars than are now on the Isle of Man.

One big advantage of 3D printing is that I can create a model in virtually any9practical) scaleand for 16.5mm gauge track that works out at approximately 1/97 scale , so only slightly bigger than 3mm/ft(share accessories). Other scae /gauge options might be 1/50 on 32mm guge and 1/35 on 45mm gauge, not forgetting 1/152(2mm/ft) on 10.5mm gauge. !/87 on EM gauge is yet another option, until someone brings out r2r 21mm gauge track, which would also be suitable for 7mm scale 3ft gauge.

I have had to modify design slightly as I found some obvious(to me) errors in the drawing, probably a few I did not spot.

SL-NCR-railcar-B-1a.jpgSL-NCR-railcar-B-1b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 09/03/2019 at 21:30, rue_d_etropal said:

Back o UK mainland and the Bishops Castle Railway, having found a thread about this little wagon , so did adesign for 3D printing

bishops-castle-railway-van-24-1a.jpg

Sounds interesting, do you have a link to the thread? I have a soft spot for the BCR

Not much of a thread. It was initiall just Albyn Austin posting a copy of the drawing asking if anyone had the other part of the drawing, and as no-one has , I have based my design on the part drawing and photos Albyn sent me. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115586-bishops-castle-railway-van-24-drawing-origin/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Started on the SECR/SR Continental boat train coaches. Even though I have book on SECR coaches by PCoutanche and Mike Kings bookon Southern coaches, I had to do a fair amount of adjusting to get designs right. Why can't publishers print drawings to 4mm scale when that fits on the oage rather than make it slightly bigger or smaller. Had to use Mike King's drawings to work out compartment sides as well. Luckily the SR used basically the same design, just altering a coule of windows and the roof vents.

Got there in the end.These coaches could end up anywhere ad were often found in amongst other Maunsell an Bulleid coaches, looking quite different.

Completed the SECR ones nd the modified brake coaches. Will eventually do the SR built coachesas there is not much to change, just adding wider coaches and one totally new design the brake third, which is actually preserved

secr-continental-brk-1st-coach-1a.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal
spelling error
  • Like 3

started working on some small Irish coaches , for 5ft 3in gauge. To get proportions right and a feel of everything first one is an old 4 wheel coach. These were replaced by 6 wheel coaches and I hope to move onto those, mainly 30ft ones to use a common chassis.

Again done sscales from 2mm up to 1.32 , including scales to fit specific common gauges such as 16.5mm(1/97), 32mm(1/50) and 45mm(1/35)

MGWR-4w-coach-1a.jpg

• Like 3

Thought Ishould get back to the Tyneside electrics, so started with one of the original NER motor luggage vans, and then realised it was the one preserved. I will eventually create the passenf=ger versions as well as the 1908 versions and thw 1920 replacemens(plus a few inbetween). All based on original NER diagrams, but still refer to photos as ther were a few changes over the years.

NER-d100-Motor-Luggage-Van-1a.jpg

• Like 3

I plan to do the1908 version next, then start on the passenger stock, as well as the later 1920 stock.Alo want to do the Controlled set of coaches, but need to confirm identity of one of the 6 wheel coaches in original set.I have the diagrams for all the other coaches. And lastly there are the 'pram' conversions.

• Like 1

After seeing article about Isle of Wight layout in current Railway Modeller and it said that there was no model of the ex LCDR coaches converted into a push pull train(one set now preserved), I thought I should shunt this design up the list. All 4 coaches done in 'original conversion' and post 1929 . SR-IOW-4w-d166-pp-coach-1a.jpg

• Like 4

Hello

Looks  good.

I assume "original conversion" means as first used  without the corridor connection on the outer end of the saloon in IOW use.

The two IOW push Pull sets were previously a 4 carrage set on the Isle of Sheppey Light Railway.

This was formed of three "Schools" Saloon Composites and the Brake Third. The Brake Third being converted into an open saloon from compartments and all were fitted with corridor connections to allow conductor guard working.  At this time they were 6 wheelers.  Without the Corridor connections these were visually as originally built.

It may be worth offering the Sheppey versions as well, the principal difference being the  Brake Third was still externally in as built appearance.  All corridor connections were mounted centrally  at this time.

For the IOW this set was split in two with the Brake Third and one of the Composites (shown above) being altered to driving trailers.  All centre wheelsets removed.

The later IOW connections reinstated on the  Saloon outer ends were offset.

These have been available as an etched brass kit from D&S both in OO and O gauge (not the rebuilt Saloon driving trailer) but are not currently produced and are very rare on EBay.

Pete

• Like 1

Another request for a Sri Lanka(Ceylon) loco. This time a classic Beyer Peacock design , the B1 class 4-6-0. Although there wre other builders of this class, which were introduced at the end of the 20s,up till the 40s. The beyer peacock lines are very clear, much like the locos they proced 20 years earlier.

ceylon-b1-steam-loco-1a.jpg

• Like 2

I would be interested in anything for the Isle of Wight in 2mm / N gauge. The Ventnor West Push pull sets would certainly qualify.

Your designs look good but a lot depends on how good the 3d print resolution is.  Do you have any detail photos of any of your designs?

Any estimate on likely availability & price?

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks

Just found it and im very tempted.

I am not familar with 3d printing and the only ones I have seen (not yours) have been pretty poor resolution wise with obvious stepping on curves, to be fair these were home produced by someone with a hobby standard printer.

Can you refer me to any photos of N gauge items made in the Finer plastic as produced.  I have seen the pictures on your website  but im unsure if these are cad images or if actual prints, to what scale.

Thanks

Pete

More Irish coaches now. MGWR 6 wheel coaches. These were introduced in 1890s, and some were still in nrmal revenue service in the 1950s. Many got altered over the years and I have delibeately left the roof detail off, as lamps etc changed. Again I have dne them in 12 scales from 2mm/ft up to1/32 scale.

MGWR-6w-brake-3rd-coach-1a.jpgMGWR-6w-3rd-coach-1a.jpgMGWR-6w-lav-1st-coach-1a.jpg

• Like 2