More 3D - adding something new every week

Something for Ireland, the Ford railcar which was originaly built for the Derwent Valley, and heavily modified to run on the County Donegal. Unfortunately the two railcars , nos 2 and 3, were not very successful, and scraapped mid 30s. Colonel Stephens had wanted to buy them from Derwent Valley,but was outbid.

I have not only done the CDR version, but also the Derwent Valley version(based on drawings in an old moto magazine, so it is possibly not completely accurate).

cdr-ford-railcar-1.jpgderwent-valley-ford-railcar-1.jpg

• Like 2

I started with Alibre, then upgraded after Geomagic took it over(it is now back in original developers). Was recommended to try it by Tom Bell. It is not perfect(maybe I need a more powerful computer), but I can design new models pretty quickly, sort out problems(it is like debugging code), and resize very easily. Although you can develop in pure 3D, I work from 2D drawings and build up from those. It is fully licensed software, mid price(one off payment, no monthly charges).

• Like 1

Back to GCR coaches. The drawings in George Dow's book are goo to start from, but luckily I had been passed some other drawings, as I wasn't happy with some detail on the standard matchboad corridie coaches. Not helped as quite a few small details either changed or modified but I thinkI got it  as original as possible.

Starting withthe brake composite(I said I needed a break!)

gcr-corr-comp-brake-coach-1a.jpggcr-corr-comp-brake-coach-1b.jpg

As far as I can tell, there were no roof vents, instead there being some form of side vents(there is even one on the toilet window). Had to deduce 'other' side from other drawings and photos.

• Like 5

Back to GCR coaches. The drawings in George Dow's book are goo to start from, but luckily I had been passed some other drawings, as I wasn't happy with some detail on the standard matchboad corridie coaches. Not helped as quite a few small details either changed or modified but I thinkI got it  as original as possible.

Starting withthe brake composite(I said I needed a break!)

gcr-corr-comp-brake-coach-1a.jpggcr-corr-comp-brake-coach-1b.jpg

As far as I can tell, there were no roof vents, instead there being some form of side vents(there is even one on the toilet window). Had to deduce 'other' side from other drawings and photos.

If you do the restaurant the first and third I think I might go broke what with the Barnum as well.

Richard

• Like 1

Better raid the piggy bank, as the others are planned. Luckily(for me!) there is a photo of the 'other' side of the restaurant car, which I should be able to Gimp, to work out the windows in the middle. That will mean, a non brake Comp, a 3rd, a 1st,and the restaurant, not forgetting the open 3rd, which is slightly different.

Also, looking at the non corridor versions, they have a lot of same dimensions.

• Like 3

Not sure about the open third, nice coach, but it is narrower than the others, presumably it needed to travel on more lines. I will probbly do it later. Odd thing is that all the other matc board stock is wide, ie max width, with inset door handles. Een the non corridor stock is same profile as the corridor ones.

Non brake composite done, next ill be the 1st ad 3rds then the restaurant car.

gcr-corr-comp-coach-1a.jpg

• Like 3

Some GC stock was designed to run on cross country routes that did not have the GC loading gauge (or better). That's why some coaches were smaller in dimensions, they had to run over the L&SWR and so on. 

Some GC stock was designed to run on cross country routes that did not have the GC loading gauge (or better). That's why some coaches were smaller in dimensions, they had to run over the L&SWR and so on. 

Odd thing is that in George Dow's book, it suggests(in a photo) that the wider stock travelled down to Bournemouth. Unfortunately the photo does not show door handle, so maybe there were virtually identical versions , sightly narrower.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

The GCR Bournemouth stock was smaller in the sense of being shorter, rather than narrower, than other stock (54' or 56', I can't recall which, as opposed to 60' for the standard stock). The LSWR seemed to be able to accommodate pretty big carriages: the "ironclads" weren't small.

Some of the matchboard carriages had pressure ventilation - early air conditioning - which accounts for the lack of roof vents.

Jim

• Like 1

Just found the 60ft open 3rd in Dow's book. I ignored it initialty as it was descibed as having the extra safety features. It is shown with a plain(steel?) end, which I suspect is what is under the matchboarding and 'planking'. on other coaches. A 1916 build so a different batch. Easy enough to do,as otherwise similar .

Brake composite and composite now up and running. Having to put a couple in at a time as so many,otherwise I can't take a break.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

Just found the 60ft open 3rd in Dow's book. I ignored it initialty as it was descibed as having the extra safety features. It is shown with a plain(steel?) end, which I suspect is what is under the matchboarding and 'planking'. on other coaches. A 1916 build so a different batch. Easy enough to do,as otherwise similar .

Brake composite and composite now up and running. Having to put a couple in at a time as so many,otherwise I can't take a break.

The carriages with steel ends were those originally fitted with Robinson's patent anti-telescoping device - a sort of interlocking grooved block not dissimilar to the buffers fitted on modern-day "Desiro" multiple units. You can see them clearly in this photo: https://pjbrailwayphotos.piwigo.com/_datas/9/o/6/9o6rl289yj/i/uploads/9/o/6/9o6rl289yj//2016/10/14/20161014210502-5d832033-me.jpg The wooden ends were just wood.

Jim

Edited by Jim Martin
  • Like 1

According to a very useful article in an ancient issue of the HMRS Journal, there were only six corridor coaches built with "armoured ends" (i.e. the anti-telescoping device):

5-compt Brake 3rd no. 98

7-compt 1st no. 886

Kitchen Composite no. 699

Open 3rd no. 283

6-compt Brake 3rd no. 1595

8-compt 3rd no. 347

The first five were all built in 1915/16 and seem to have been intended as a set train. What I assume is a reproduction of a contemporary magazine, showing the carriages marshalled as above and captioned "diagram of London and Manchester armoured express train" can be found on pages 186-7 of British Railway Carriages of the 20th Century, volume 1 by David Jenkinson. The sixth coach was built in 1919 and was a bit of an oddity, being only 56' long and flush-sided (not matchboarded).

Three 60' matchboard open thirds with standard ends were built in 1911/3 (nos. 229, 349/50) but I don't know how the body layout compared with the 1916 coach.

Jim

I have just done the 1st and 3rd class coaches, and decided to continue straight onto the restaurent coach. There is a very nice, ex works, photo of coach 707 online, with matchboard ends. The drawing in Dow's book actually shows a slightly different version, which has open 3rd section, wheras 707 , obviously has compartment 3rd , with side corridor. It looks like most of the rest is the same. Obviously no tables in third class. In effect a first class restaurant coach with some third class compartments.

On further investigation, apparetly the third class compartments  had removable tables, so were for eating.

Overall just confuses it even more. Checking dimensions using photo, and it is different to the one drawn. I coud possibly take a gamble and work it out,but it is a different side that is not shown, and can't be certain where the windows would be in the kitchen area. If only they marked the window positions on plan view, as is done by some railways.

I may have to drop it as I don't have enough info.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

Decided it was worth the risk doing the one with drawing, as I am pretty certain the kitchen windows woud be the sameas the one in photo. I am less certain as to the 'corridor' side to the one in photo.

gcr-corr-comp-restaurant-coach-1a.jpg

and other sde

gcr-corr-comp-restaurant-coach-1b.jpg

and the first and third, making up a complete set. Will leave the open third for the time being.

gcr-corr-first-coach-1a.jpggcr-corr-third-coach-1a.jpg

I like these matchboard sided coaches, and next I may do the Southern Railway(ex SECR) boat train stock as I do have good drawings for it.

• Like 4

At one time the GC tried a system of serving meals at seats to everyone, Pullman style, hence the removable tables. I am not sure how long this practice lasted but I seem to recall reading that there were problems with it. I guess that if the guy in the corner seat wanted to get off at an intermediate station in the middle of a meal, it would have been a tad awkward. I suppose it doesn't really matter that much to modellers unless you're planning to fit the tables and model a "meal".

• Like 2

The one in the corner is OK, as there is a door on side, but a table for 3 a side is difficult , especially for the one in the middle, and is a long table top to fit.

Looking at SR boat train stock, and not all the drawings are in Mike King's book, and it looks like from one drawing that at least one was shorter(59ft?) than the others(62ft). The differences between the r(8ft wide) and r1(8ft 6in wide) ones is not much, with doors and windows the same in both types. The wider coaches are also  1in higher, but in model that is not significant.

I am looking for more info, so migh consider a couple of smaller coaches to keep me going.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

Whilst I wait for more info on the boat train coaches, a few quickies starting with the LMS 6 wheel pasenge brake van. Both versions, not that many would notice the differences, namely different sized doors and different roof vents.

I have not included steps on sides, as they are too smal. Also why was one longer on one side when everyhng else is the same!

lms-6w-passenger-brake-van-d1796-1a.jpglms-6w-passenger-brake-van-d2000-1a.jpgO

Ialsoplan the short bogie LMS van, as well as a couple of GWR vans.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 6