More 3D - adding something new every week

Congratulations for tackling Metropolitan stock and its complexities, and well done for comprehensive coverage of the Bogie Stock family including steam-hauled vehicles, the two Motor Coach variants for M Stock and N Stock, and especially the First Class vehicle which hasn't featured in the kits and 3D work in modern times.  It's a moderately tricky stock, and published material to date doesn't cover all the information needed for high-fidelity modelling, especially in the larger scales - I'm in the midst of research to address some of this.

I'll look forward to future products and will assist with detail if I can.

• RMweb Premium
On 25/11/2019 at 19:03, Penrhos1920 said:

E128 was actually 58’4.5” long not 57’.  Which is why Hornby didn’t make it and the restaurant coach as they need a different chassis 

The H33 bow ended restaurant car  is exactly the same size as all the others. = 57' 0" over the corners, 58' 4½" over end panels. (Drawing in Russell Part 2)

The chassis would be different because of the extra services needed Gas, Water, Waste etc, situated underneath.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

nothing is designedspecifically for any chassis. partly because I  don't have all chassis to check, but also because r2r manufacturers change and withdraw models and new models don't fit.  I tend to recommend cking out the Kato/Tomix chassis available as there is a large range and most are a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rue_d_etropal said:

nothing is designedspecifically for any chassis. partly because I  don't have all chassis to check, but also because r2r manufacturers change and withdraw models and new models don't fit.  I tend to recommend cking out the Kato/Tomix chassis available as there is a large range and most are a lot cheaper.

That answer comes as no surprise and completely understandable. I ask as I have a couple and earlier railcard would be better than no.19 for me. I agree the Kato chassis are good. I've used some of the short ones under stuff for 009. For those and the early cars with the valence left intact then it's not such an issue since only the tyre treads are visible, if anything much can be seen. Later on - and for no.18, which is the one I was thinking of going for - then the bogies are visible. 

If it's to scale for 1:148 then I can make my own judgement from drawings based on measurements of the Farish model. Else could I measure the bottom edge profile of the Farish body and you tell me how much difference there is on your CAD please?

the inside distance between sides is abou 16.5mm, but there is also a floor edge which reduces gap down to about 13.5mm. For some chassis probably necessary to remove that edging. It s partly there to reduce warping of sides during printing. The Tomytec chassis I used for my one and only N gauge model is about 15mm wideand it was one of my early 3D prit designs so it did not have the inside edge for floor.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 22:57, Engineer said:

Congratulations for tackling Metropolitan stock and its complexities, and well done for comprehensive coverage of the Bogie Stock family including steam-hauled vehicles, the two Motor Coach variants for M Stock and N Stock, and especially the First Class vehicle which hasn't featured in the kits and 3D work in modern times.  It's a moderately tricky stock, and published material to date doesn't cover all the information needed for high-fidelity modelling, especially in the larger scales - I'm in the midst of research to address some of this.

I'll look forward to future products and will assist with detail if I can.

tBeing Metroland born and bred I want to do as much as possible.  In some ways there is more info than for other railways. I have had to do a lot of guessing with respect to some parts, especially as there were obiously a number of alterations over the years. Hopeully I have captured the character  and have got detail as close as possible. Internal detail I leave up to the modeller. If I can also create more interest in trains such as these then I will be happy, especially early electrics.

I had heard that there was a lot of info in the LT archives, but it is difficult to find out what there is.

• Like 3

I have been moving round regions(and countries) doing a design here and there. Time to concentrate on specic areas. One is the Tyneside EMU units. I have (I think) now done all versions of the clerestory stock, not including originals with gates rather than doors, but I could do those eventually. Next will be the 1920s built eliptical roof stock, and then the BR units.

NER-d208-motor-composite-1a.jpg

I think these are mainly correct, not so sure about roof vents as none shown on drawings and photosnot always clear. Hopefully close enough, and if more info turns up they can be modified. Surprising large number of small alterations done over te years with respect to design. Soe more obvious than others.

• Like 2

On 16/12/2019 at 01:14, rue_d_etropal said:

tBeing Metroland born and bred I want to do as much as possible.  In some ways there is more info than for other railways. I have had to do a lot of guessing with respect to some parts, especially as there were obiously a number of alterations over the years. Hopeully I have captured the character  and have got detail as close as possible. Internal detail I leave up to the modeller. If I can also create more interest in trains such as these then I will be happy, especially early electrics.

I had heard that there was a lot of info in the LT archives, but it is difficult to find out what there is.

The best source is the Jim Snowdon book (Wild Swan), as jim had access to most of the Met/LT drawings when he was preparing it.

So how about the Rothschild saloon and Pullmans? (then of course there's the non-passenger stock...)

• Like 1

I have the Jim Snowden book. Pity it is only the Met , Could do withsomething on other LT lines. I aim to do as many of the other trains in the book as possible. Certainly want to do the GW/MET/Hamersmith stock. Everything in the book is on my list to do.

For electric stock there are 3 main regions I am working through, namely London, Merseyside/Manchester and Tyneside. Currently working through the Tyneside stock, and rather than jumping around will finish those off first.

I alsowant to do the Met/District locos. The drawings only show one side. Are they identical both sides(reflective), or asymetric(ie doors at left end on both sides).

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would recommend 'The London Underground Surface Stock Planbook 1863-1959' by Ian Huntley (ISBN 0711017212) That contains plans of the A, B, F. G (Q23) and K (Q27) stock as well as the box cab electric locomotives used on the Ealing-Southend service.  There are also plans of the Metropolitan electric locomotives and stock. The book was published by the LT museum some years ago but some second hand copies might be found.

thanks, I have that book. It is those loco drawings that I am querying, as want to be sure what other sides are. As no photos show anything different, and I can't bekeve every photo taken was of same side, I think the sides ae asymetric, with doors always onleft or right as per drawings.

It s also a shame only a selection of stock is in book, but based on what is there and photos it should be possible to do other coaches in sets.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

Not trying to be a downer but the District Railway boxcab Bo-Bo's have been available for many years as a resin shell from Silver Fox Models (and also sold through others I believe), and way back from MTK. The MetVicks are available from Heljan and again way back from Harrow Model Shop, then Radley Models in both white metal body and resin body kits. Also an MTK version. The Met BTH Bo-Bo's were done by a chap on here (I've got one in the to-do pile) and the Met centre cabs were done as a commission by Golden Arrow but I'm not sure for whom. 

I've got, and built where appropriate, all of the above, and also the incredible 7mm MetVick from Ken's Profiles. Just wondering what your potential customers would be.

If you're in need of ideas or challenges ........ then there might be some mileage in the Bideford, Westward Ho!, & Appledore Hunslet 2-4-2T locos in both skirted and sans skirts, the coaches, and the proposed but never built steam railcar. Just thinkin' aloud .....

• Like 1

One major part of my design philodsophy is to make designs available in several different scales not just 4mm/ft. N scale is quite [popular, but have also been noticed by some modelling Gauge 1.

I normally start with 6 different scales from N up to Gauge 1. I still need to resize some designs into O ad G1. I can normally resize my designs to any scale, within reason, and have gone to Z for some designs.

I had been thinking about the Bideford stock, as it was mentioned in current RM, but can only find drawings for the loco. Are there drawings published for the coaches?

• Like 1

Thanks Simon - I understand a bit more now!

The Rod Garner book on the BWH&AR has copies of the Bristol Carriage drawings, but they are a bit difficult to follow and maybe a bit faint in the finer details. But I've not seen drawings for the open wagons or brake van. The loco drawings have been widely published after they were redrawn by Don Townsley, and are again the the Rod Garner book (which is really nice).

Hunslet's were another of those big manufacturers who had a large armoury of standard components and styles, such as chimneys, domes, cabs, etc., lending your design work to  be used across more than one particular loco.

• RMweb Premium

There's also the special stock hauled by the District box cabs. It was built and owned by the LT&S and was specially designed for the Ealing Broadway-Southend service. Oakwood Press produced a book of the LT&S rolling stock that included drawings of that stock.

On 11 May 2019 at 14:29, rue_d_etropal said:

The Spurn Head Railway was a bit diffrent. In the booklet about it there are drawings of the final railcar the WD used. As with many of the drawings I come across, I found that some details do not match up with photos. Not sure why, but it is possible there were modifications to the design at some point. In any case I have combined the drawing and the photos to create what I think looks right.

spurn-head-hudswell-clarke-railcar-1a.jp

I actually live in the Spurn Railway carriage which once belonged to the military and pulled by he Kenyon. Nothing has changed on the carriage since it was placed for a home in 1936. The carriage has only been covered in new wood so not to change the original. I had Windows made to fit inside the original windows. When I stripped the inside back to the original I found doors had been boarded up on one side and one door area had been changed into a coal fire. I would love to see a picture of your scale model. Sad that one day in the very near future someone will purchace this train carriage plus the army officers mess from Spurn also a bungalow next to mine and pull them all down, all that history lost.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 22/12/2019 at 21:23, decauville1126 said:

Thanks Simon - I understand a bit more now!

The Rod Garner book on the BWH&AR has copies of the Bristol Carriage drawings, but they are a bit difficult to follow and maybe a bit faint in the finer details. But I've not seen drawings for the open wagons or brake van. The loco drawings have been widely published after they were redrawn by Don Townsley, and are again the the Rod Garner book (which is really nice).

Hunslet's were another of those big manufacturers who had a large armoury of standard components and styles, such as chimneys, domes, cabs, etc., lending your design work to  be used across more than one particular loco.

just received copy of book. pity only coach drawing is composite with opn balcony.One photo shows composite with enclosed end(s?) The photo of model in RM also shows that coach. No photo of the passenger brake in book as far as I can tell. Maybe it was not used much and a single coachwas enough for most traffic. The wagons loo similar to other standad gauge opens of the period, The brakevan might even be second hand, certainly similar to many other railways. Photos probably good enough to work out drawing. There was a van as weelaccoring to some reports but not in photos.

Definitely will put these on my list to do.

There's also the special stock hauled by the District box cabs. It was built and owned by the LT&S and was specially designed for the Ealing Broadway-Southend service. Oakwood Press produced a book of the LT&S rolling stock that included drawings of that stock.

I have that book, so should be able to do coaches. Some LT&S coaches also ended up on the S&M.

Sad that one day in the very near future someone will purchace this train carriage plus the army officers mess from Spurn also a bungalow next to mine and pull them all down, all that history lost.

It would be worth while starting to get interest in preserving the coach in the future. Even if it was to remain where it was in curren cons=dition that would be a good idea, possibly better than someone restoring it to original(?) condition. One problem I have with some preservation is that by restoring something they also lose much of the history of that item.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

I have that book, so should be able to do coaches. Some LT&S coaches also ended up on the S&M.

The coaches that ended up on the S&M were the Ealing Broadway-Southend stock. They remained virtually the same externally but the insides were gutted and replaced by bench seats.

17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The coaches that ended up on the S&M were the Ealing Broadway-Southend stock. They remained virtually the same externally but the insides were gutted and replaced by bench seats.

thought that might be the case, another reason to do them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Completed the Tyneside EMU designs including the BR built EPB stock, and in addition the Southern Region versions to create 2EPB 4EPB and 2HAP sets

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/passenger-stock-br/3d_printed_sg-br-epb-emu.htm

Edited by rue_d_etropal
spell check
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

Completed the Tyneside EMU designs including the BR built EPB stock, and in addition the Southern Region versions to create 2EPB 4EPB and 2HAP sets

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/passenger-stock-br/3d_printed_sg-br-epb-emu.htm

Looks like I'm going to have to buy some of these.

• Like 1