More 3D - adding something new every week

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished resizing my GWR steam railmotors up to O and 1/32 G1.

For G1 the longer versions of the railmotor were too long to be printed in one piece so split them into two, along edge of doors near centre. As long as a sub-chassis is used underneath then there should be no problem, and it is what I recommend for all my designs, so chassis can then be completed and tested without body on.

Luckily there are not many models this long. Max coach length is approximately 65ft, which should cover most of what I want to do. It was an interesting exercise, one I knew I would have to tackle at some stage, especially if I was to resize any bigger, such as for the other Gauge 1, 10mm/ft.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

After a spell working on my own 3D perspective project , back to doing a loco. I got a request for a model of the PDSWJR 0-6-2T locos. 2 were built, under instruction from Colonel Stephens, and I also discoved it had been based on one oof his less successful locos, the 0-8-0T on KESR, a ;oco I have wanted for many years. There was also a very similar 0-6-2T built for Woolmer/Longmoor Military Railway. So what started a one loco Iwas designing will end up with 3 designs . One day I will find a unique loco with no variations and no additional stock to go with it.

PDSWJR-0-6-2T-loco-1a.jpg

• Like 3

After a spell working on my own 3D perspective project , back to doing a loco. I got a request for a model of the PDSWJR 0-6-2T locos. 2 were built, under instruction from Colonel Stephens, and I also discoved it had been based on one oof his less successful locos, the 0-8-0T on KESR, a ;oco I have wanted for many years. There was also a very similar 0-6-2T built for Woolmer/Longmoor Military Railway. So what started a one loco Iwas designing will end up with 3 designs . One day I will find a unique loco with no variations and no additional stock to go with it.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
more info#
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/01/2020 at 17:24, rue_d_etropal said:

Lovely loco, just had to order one. Now just need to work out how to motorise the thing! (or it will sit in the gloat box) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

it has been suggested that a Terrier chassis could be used

I remember see that, I just can't remember seeing where! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/01/2020 at 17:24, rue_d_etropal said:

After a very quick delivery from Shapeways, I now have the print in my hands, and it looks fantastic. 

IMG_1269.jpeg.2ed2f9d5a3ba62529518041289198b18.jpegIMG_1270.jpeg.2316b1ea434912310ff4186dfba61916.jpegIMG_1271.jpeg.4c887d095c9fba068193b6f4b330540c.jpegIMG_1272.jpeg.74d623b89b40f21b6569661a672b2288.jpegIMG_1273.jpeg.1d4ef40d547e8afd65ca67ca5f7a6bb8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A first glimpse of the LSWR Class O2 body print (N scale). It has been sprayed with Tamiya fine primer, and sanded down two or three times so far.

It is a good fit for the Chris Higgs etched nickel-silver chassis, but I had to open out the front splashers a lot to fit 2mm Scale Association wheels. I am not sure how N gauge wheels could be made to fit.

IMG_20200117_234638

IMG_20200117_234448

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

Hello Ian,

I'm interested in how you are going about finishing the body, I've just received two of Simon's prints in 3mm scale from Shapeways (also very quickly.) As can be seen the exquisite Bamburgh MW model is printed in SFD whereas the A5 in whatever the white stuff is called, this has a significantly rougher surface finish to it which I'm told is difficult smooth out, any advice greatfully received.

The A5 will probably be finished fairly soon (well in a month or two !) alongside two J50's that I currently have on the go as I was lucky to aquire a part built chassis from the 3mm Soc 2nd hand which by luck should only need 1mm trimming off the rear to fit the body and I already have some wheels in stock. Bamburgh on the other hand needs some planning, it's lying at a slight angle as I've already managed to break off one of footsteps, I shall reinforce both when I glue it back on.

Apart from a body for an unstarted C12 these are the first 3D prints that I have worked on.

Regards,

Ian.

B4152927-83A4-4F69-B780-49A6F5F68E28.jpeg

Edited by 03060
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

Not to hijack to much by the white stuff used to be WSF -IIRC and has a slightly furry feel. I used halfords bumper spray filler and sanded back until the white dots of the peaks of the wsf showed through - did this three times on one model that needed long flush sides - class 180 N demu in N.  Same on a cross country 120 from Simon here and then re-scribe door lines and added cast roof vents . 

On the steam loco if going to be dirty and weathered perhaps only the side tanks and cab roof need doing really well and a bit less elsewhere . The WSF is indeed strong and hard to sand. 

The clearer one which is a perhaps a high def plastic type print  a blade scraped over to lift of any lines is the best - I do wash it in a cream cleaner- cif to remove any oily residue.   

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

significantly rougher surface finish to it which I'm told is difficult smooth out, any advice greatfully received

everyone has their own ideas on this.I have found sanding down with non clogging sandpaper works. Not a quick job, but worth it.

First thing to do is put a drop of cheap liquid superglue on those buffers(possibly the steps as well). They can be fragile. The WSF is granular so the gue soaks in , and binds the granules. They also swell a little(not really visible). Once surface is how you want, you can paint /stain with ANY water based paint(even cheap emulsion test pot paint). Don't be tempted to spray paint as the WSF will just absorb it.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

One model high on my list has been the Hastings DEMU(cl201/2/3) and Tadpole (cl206). Only when I had located scale drawings could I start, and I used both te drawings and the BR working diagrams. Some roof detail still had gaps in info, but I prefer to only do what I am certain of, so modellers will need to seek out further info/photos.

These were welltravelled units in later years, so most regions could justify the presence of one on a special. They were always my preferred train of choice for travels up to London, as they always seemed to be more comfortable than the EMUs. I also used the Tadpole units quite a bit. Still not sure but in early 70s I remember first train towards Redhill from Tonbridge on a Sunday was loco hauled. I had assumed they must be ex Hastings units but the DEMU coaches did not have buffers so unsure now. They always felt better than standard coaches, so had assumed they must be the Hastings coaches.

cl201-DMBSO-driver-coach1a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

You seem to have missed the buffer differences on the W&M 'buses, and I'm not convinced that the crease mark really does exist down the front. A consequence of the cab front being wrong also means that you have got the bufferbeam-body interface wrong as well.  There is also the bell socket missing off the front and it is very difficult to see if the turn under is the right shape either. Have you got the exhaust port on the roof?

Its a shame that you don't spend a bit longer researching what you draw, as you would find information so easily. The photos below took me less than ten minutes to find on the brilliant preserved.railcar.co.uk website

I've pointed this out before (you drew the class 109 dmu with the wrong body profile, and I note you still haven't changed it), which really sows the seed of how well everything else is researched.....

79964-2019-10-30-KWVR-Diesel-Railcar-Gro

79963-2008-07-03-Chris-Moxon-b.jpg

79960-2006-08-09-Chris-Moxon.jpg

79960-2011-06-26-Chris-Moxon-f.jpg

79960-2008-06-28-Chris-Moxon.jpg

Andy G

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I use published drawings, and most people are happy with models. There are details which can be smoothed down, and given the way 3D printing is done that is usually necessary. £D printing has been described as an aid to scratchbuilding, and real modellers are prepared to finish off something,but might struggle to start a kit or scratchbuild.

Trouble with research is that you can always do more and someone will always find something else. General comments that something is not correct don't help, but being a bit more specific will help.  There are some obvious small detail changes that have been done on the railbus since it was built, care has to be taken when using preserved stock for research.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 14/02/2020 at 10:47, rue_d_etropal said:

One model high on my list has been the Hastings DEMU(cl201/2/3) and Tadpole (cl206). Only when I had located scale drawings could I start, and I used both te drawings and the BR working diagrams. Some roof detail still had gaps in info, but I prefer to only do what I am certain of, so modellers will need to seek out further info/photos.

These were welltravelled units in later years, so most regions could justify the presence of one on a special. They were always my preferred train of choice for travels up to London, as they always seemed to be more comfortable than the EMUs. I also used the Tadpole units quite a bit. Still not sure but in early 70s I remember first train towards Redhill from Tonbridge on a Sunday was loco hauled. I had assumed they must be ex Hastings units but the DEMU coaches did not have buffers so unsure now. They always felt better than standard coaches, so had assumed they must be the Hastings coaches.

cl201-DMBSO-driver-coach1a.jpg

Well that looks the part and given individual coaches are available a Tadpole looks more than possible. I was wondering about using the the Tyneside EPB trailer driver and making the headcode bit as looking through to day I could only see the brake vehicles for the 4EPB , The 2HAL driver trailer is a compo so wrong from what I have read - open to ideas Simon.  Also of course thank you for spending time with tech that I would have no chance of mastering. My only problem is which scale for the Tadpole - I think it will be N gauge  but to slowly grow a 6S in 1/32 is really enticing. ( But still need to save for the railmotor.)

Robert   

• Like 1

The ex Tyneside unit s easy to modify. In reality it looks like a patched job, ceratainly after a bit of wear and tear. All designs based on published drawings so hopefully correct. I think there may have been some variety in SR units. Certainly units got mixed up over the years.

I still have not got to bottom of how what I believe wee ex Hastings coaches being loco hauled on Tonbridge/Redhill/Guildford line on Sundays. I remember travelling in this train in early 70s, and loco had to run round at Redhill before continuing to Guildford.

Next up is some Metropolitan Railway locos starting with the 3 electrics.

metropolitan-railway-camelback-electric-

metropolitan-railway-bth-boxcab-electric

metropolitan-railway-metro-vick-electric

Part of my interest is seeing how designs evolved, and this can also help in the desgn of the model.

• Like 2

Re Redhill Tonbridge workings. There where 4 3 car Br Mk1 sets based on the route and in Southern tradition these where fixed sets given set numbers in the range 12 to 16 formed of SO BSK SO. As well as use on the full route there where short workings Redhill to South Godstone. When in used on the full route Reading-Redhill-Tonbridge they where often strengthen with a GUV for the mail and parcels traffic.

Keith 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1