More 3D - adding something new every week

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rue_d_etropal said:

More Irish coaches now. MGWR 6 wheel coaches. These were introduced in 1890s, and some were still in nrmal revenue service in the 1950s. Many got altered over the years and I have delibeately left the roof detail off, as lamps etc changed. Again I have dne them in 12 scales from 2mm/ft up to1/32 scale.

MGWR-6w-brake-3rd-coach-1a.jpgMGWR-6w-3rd-coach-1a.jpgMGWR-6w-lav-1st-coach-1a.jpg

IIRC in the later years the centre axle was removed.

Hi Simon,

have you thought about doing railcar B in 4mm scale? Most irish railway modellers work in 4mm and either accept the 16.5mm gauge or work to 21mm where able - I'd be interested in railcar B at some point in the future, dependent on pricing(I know 4mm prints can be expensive from my own efforts...

Cheers for now!

Richard.

• Like 1

I went to Scaleforum at the weekend as the IRRS were there, and they have produced copies of many railway drawings, not cheap, but worth it. I think I now have most of the GNR(I) railcars,certainly the early ones, but still want to find drawings for the Drumm railcars, and the Clayton steam railcars(similar but different to the LNER ones). The  wedge shaped railcars are definitely on my list(A through C).

As for scale/gauge, I think it i as much a chicken and egg situation, which is why I have decided to offer my designs in so many scales, and can offer more! I have a 6 wheeler on order in 1/97 scale to see how practical it is, and hopefully it will be a start of an interesting project.

Cost seems to be something many mention with respect to 3D printing. I think part of the problem is that 4mm scale is so well supported , that the price of r2r is artificially low, and in the long term is not healthy. By modelling in a slightly smaller scale, the price for 3D printing comes down a lot. 4mm scale is caught in the middle trap, as it can waste a lot of the 3D print space so price goes up as a result. Bigger scales don't waste so much space, so can compete with other tradition methods of production. One advantage of doing many scales has been that I can get a better understading of how size and price are related. 15mm wargaming is 1/100 scale(ie near 3mm/ft), and 1/97 scale (3.14mm/ft) can use many of these 15mm wargaming items, and the amount being offered is increasing, especially laser cut buildings.

Now for my next project I have gone back to the LNER Coronation train and done the articulated coaches. As they only operated in pairs, I have done them in pairs, as there are only 4 sets, but 7 individual designs. For smaller scales this is OK, but for bigger scales I would have to do coaches separate. I have also onlydone them with original valences, which should be easy to remove if required. There are also some later BR modifications(extra doors), but I need to find more info to show which coaches were altered and where.

LNER-coronation-twin-rest-open-3rd-1a.jp

Edited by rue_d_etropal
spell check
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Shapeways finish continues to disappoint. Shapeways prices continue to appall. 

Sparkshot Custom Creations, Knuckles of this parish, has done his customers a huge favour by investing in a photon printer, which produces smooth resin prints that are better than even the posh FUD stuff on Shapeways, at a fraction of the cost.

Your OO products are only available in WSF, or whatever it's called these days, which is far inferior and takes much more finishing.  I would n't buy in this material period, and I certainly wouldn't buy at Shapeways prices.

if you sense some frustration it's because I'd love to buy quite a large chunk of your catalogue, but Satan will be travelling to work on ice skates before I buy WSF for premium prices.

So, any plans to move production away from Shapeways to something better and more affordable?    

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Sorry, I am not moving away from Shapeways. Trouble is most people do not understand the complexities of running a small business, and I wonder how many of the new businesses atually succeed  and carry on(unless you are just doing it as a hobby inyour sparetime). Just look at the number of small hobby busineses that have stopped trading recently and the types of problems many have had. I am getting very positive feedback from those who do buy my products and everything is legal. I recommend anyone to try and produce enough 3D printed models to actually be worth while financially. Chris Ward said it was not possible years ago and he had worked in the busines for a long time, and it still takes a long time to print . Printing high quality one off models for prototypes, and charging a suitable fee to do so is the way many companies work, but try doing that on your workshop table at home, then hab=ving to post off items, having problems with post,or claims that something has not arrived,and then think there are potential cstomers outside the UK, and all the legal problems involved(most just skip over those, which might be OK until there is a problem and you find yourself being sued).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My first Irish wagon. I wanted something typically Irish, and a van with corrugated roof fitted the bill. Also as with many Irish wagons , brakes each side but only on one wheel, hence a distinctive brake handle, which I have seen on earlier British stock.

The DWWR became the Dublin and SouthEastern Railway, before being amalgamated into the GSR.

Although described as a coverd wagon, I think that term really refers to versions withmiddle section open, and then coverd in a tarpaulin sheet. Again typically Irish, and a type I want to do.

DWWR-Ahbury-covered-van-1a.jpg

• Like 3

The KESR had one of the distinctive ex NLR luggage brake coaches, a second went to the East Kent but had its birdcage rof removed.

Other ex NLR brakes went to other light railways such as the Easingwold, and the birdcage on the easinwold looks more original, as the KESR one is lower. Managed to combine desgns from both original and Les Darbyshire's drawing. Chassis has been done on both as per KESR version.

KESR-NLR-luggage-brake-no-15-1a.jpgNLR-18-6-luggage-brake-1a.jpg

There is also a dawing of a similar version with roof of burdcage shaped more like rest of roof. I do wonder if this was found to be out of gauge as all other ones have the rounded edge. I might do that version  as well. Found a longer version as well, but have not seen any photos just a drawing.

• Like 3

I have just completed my design for the BR modified ex LNER observation coach. Not as good looking as the origial,and the rood-f line is more complex than it looks. I have also finished the other BR modified(extra doors) twin sets.

LNER-BR-modified-observation-coach-1a.jp

• Like 3

One of the pioneering railcars introduced in Ireland by GNR(I) in 1931-32. This was railcar B, not the most successful, even after it was converted into a trailer coach.

GNRI-B-railcar-1a.jpg

Just received a copy of 'Disel Dawn', whichhas one photo of this ailcar, and a drawing showing it was like railcar A with a front radiator, which was also replaced by one on the roof, and extra door might have been added then as well. That means i need to do another version in original condition.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
new information
  • Like 1

Not the most successful loco running on the LMS, but one that seems to be popular with modellers. The Fowler designed 2-6-2T loco, original and fnal condition. There were a couple of other small variants, which can easily be converted from the others.

lms-fowler-2-6-2t-loco-1a.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Spurn Head Railway was a bit diffrent. In the booklet about it there are drawings of the final railcar the WD used. As with many of the drawings I come across, I found that some details do not match up with photos. Not sure why, but it is possible there were modifications to the design at some point. In any case I have combined the drawing and the photos to create what I think looks right.

spurn-head-hudswell-clarke-railcar-1a.jp

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2019 at 12:46, rue_d_etropal said:

Not the most successful loco running on the LMS, but one that seems to be popular with modellers. The Fowler designed 2-6-2T loco, original and fnal condition. There were a couple of other small variants, which can easily be converted from the others.

lms-fowler-2-6-2t-loco-1a.jpg

In all the main scales, as usual?

• RMweb Premium
On 11/05/2019 at 14:29, rue_d_etropal said:

The Spurn Head Railway was a bit diffrent. In the booklet about it there are drawings of the final railcar the WD used. As with many of the drawings I come across, I found that some details do not match up with photos. Not sure why, but it is possible there were modifications to the design at some point. In any case I have combined the drawing and the photos to create what I think looks right.

spurn-head-hudswell-clarke-railcar-1a.jp

I do believe that the frame and wheels for this railcar survived up until about ten years ago. After service at Spurn Head it was sent to Bicester and cut down to a flat wagon for use as a crane runner. About ten years ago a lot of surplus equipment at Bicester was auctioned off, mostly for scrap which was probably the fate of this.

On 14/05/2019 at 09:52, KeithHC said:

That looks more like Dutton Green station to me.

Keith

Does indeed look more like Dunton Green.

I would like to do this railmotor, having done the coach part. Only drawings of loco I have are side view. This is a very nice photo and might help medo the loco part.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

After being sent more info on District line Q35(and Q31)stock, I have just completed Q35 stock designs, both trailer and drivee coaches. Luckily there are a couple of good side view photos of trailer cooach, but driver coach might not be quite right. As many of these were subsequently converted in to trailer coaches it is even more difficult to be certain, and it is a trailer coach that is now preserved.

district-q35-stock-driver-coach-1a.jpgdistrict-q35-stock-trailer-coach-1a.jpg

The Q31 designwas 4in shorter(not sure why except it being a different builder), and ther are a couple of small differences as a result.

• Like 3

After receiving latest copyof New Irish Lines with drawings of the GSR Clayton railcars I felt Ihad to do them. There were two versions, and there is some discrepancy in detail as the length of second tyoe so I have only done first type. Both were similar to the LNER ones but with differet doors and windows. They just as bad running as the LNER ones, but instead of scrapping them totally, they combined the coach parts into articulated pairs, one set using just first type and the other 2 pairs using one of each. Again as a result of conflin=ctiong info I hve only done the set using first set of coaches.

GSR-Clayton-steam-railcar-A-1a.jpgGSR-Clayton-articulated-coach-A-1a.jpg

Now why didn't the LNER do something similar, considering its otherconversions to articulated coaches!

GSR-Clayton-articulated-coach-set-359-35

• Like 1

The Irish ones were not as good as the Sentinels( and both were virtually identical to those used by the LNER), but to be fair Claytons going bust did not help.  Claytons used in other countries seem to have faired better.

• Like 1