More 3D - adding something new every week

Back to mainland Britain and the LNER Silver Jubilee coaches. First up are the LNER ones, I may do the BR ones with valances remove, but it is not that difficult to remove them if required.Alternate twin and triplet 3rd class sets done.

LNER-silver-jubilee-twin-brake-semi-openLNER-silver-jubilee-triplet-restaurant-cLNER-silver-jubilee-triplet-corridor-braLNER-silver-jubilee-twin-corridor-brake-

Edited by rue_d_etropal
spell check
  • Like 4

As an alternative to the 60ft long SECR birdcage coaches Bachmann produce, I thought something similar but shorter would be more suitable, especially for branch lines. This one was built about 1905, and some were used in 3 car sets but many ran as singles One of these was used on KESR during final years of BR running. It is a 50ft one, the two currently preserved on KESR are 54ft ones, and those were part of a 3 car set which had been on Longmoor Military Railway, so am thinking I might do those at some time.

SECR-d147-brake-third-coach-1a.jpg

• Like 6

Back to something I have wanted todo, and only possible when I was sent a copy of the only known drawing which was published in theRailway Gazette. Drumm designed a new improved battery and persuaded the GSR in Ireland to build a new articulated railcar in 1932. It proved reasonably successful and along with a second pair introduced in 1938 with a more modern front end,(which turned out to be a less successful runner), and both continued in service till 1949, when the batteries became worn out and needed replacing. They were then used as ordinary coaches and were scapped in 1955.

It is said that the Drumm battery was the forerunner of today's rechargable batteries, so should take a importance place in 20th century technology development.

My contribution is a 3D printed design of the first pair. I hope to be able to work out the design for the pther pair at some time based on a rought drawing and photos.

GSR-Drumm-battery-railcar-set-A-B-1a.jpg

• Like 2

Iseem to be bouncing between ex SR and ex LNER stock. Mainly because I have more drawings of these than other railways.  Here is a complete pushpull set. Drawings are from RM  and I have wanted to do this for a while. Not many photos(online?) of the train in action, odd considering its working mainly in south Manchester area.

The C13 loco was also used on the ex Metropolitan Chesham branch up to electrification of the line, so useful for pulling ex Met PP coaches as noe restored to early condition on Bluebell line.

GCR-C13-steam-loco-1a.jpgGCR-london-sub-pp-conv-coach1a.jpgGCR-railmotor-pp-conv-1a.jpg

It should be possible to do other GCR London Suburban type coaches. The one above was a conversion from an all first, and I have found drawings for some others. It might also be possible adapt the railmotor conversion back to original railmotor as well.

• Like 4

that is something I had thought of, as there are some basic drawings. What I am not sure of is whether the one I have sen is of one of the ones converted from railmotor trailers or another one as it has flat ends. Description of trailers suggests they wer more like the railmotors,but put on 6 wheel bogies.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

The 6 wheel bogie one was built from new as a carriage . Hence the flat ends. There were 3 built as steam rail motors. 1 and 2 looked like your one with the longer paneling and longer windows. Number 3 looked different with short panels and windows. It looked a lot like the 6 wheel bogie one but ended up on 4 wheel bogies. Drawings are in the Dow gcr books. Afraid I am a long way from my books for about a fortnight so unable to check which one , but I would guess vol 3.

richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Are these GCR loco and coaches available as N gauge items now?

best wishes,

Alastair M

Sorry Simon, I have answered my own question by following the links. Order in!

Edited by A Murphy
Answered my own question!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

does anyone know where there are drawings of that clerestory. Nice end shot of the PP coach.

There was an article including plans of the baggage composite in Model Railway Constructor. The article was "GCR 50ft clerestory coaches" by W A Richards. I don't know what the issue number was unfortunately.

Simon

• Like 1

On 12/07/2019 at 22:35, 65179 said:

There was an article including plans of the baggage composite in Model Railway Constructor. The article was "GCR 50ft clerestory coaches" by W A Richards. I don't know what the issue number was unfortunately.

Simon

On 12/07/2019 at 20:00, rue_d_etropal said:

does anyone know where there are drawings of that clerestory. Nice end shot of the PP coach.

On 12/07/2019 at 22:35, 65179 said:

Simon

Yes I recall the MRC issue with the centre pages "the Plans Page" for the GCR 50ft Clerestory Coach but cannot find my copy.....However of related interest see Railway Modeller November 1968. The diagram is 3K1 with a drawing in "British Railways Pre-Nalisation Coaching Stock Vol. 1. Also see 

British Railway Journal - No. 32 Summer 1990 - Wild Swan Publications

hope this helps.

Chris

The Model Railway Constructor has drawings of the 50ft Great central Clerestory Coaches in issue  April 1969.

hope this helps, Chris Bowden

Edited by Chris Bowden
Addition source information
  • Like 1

On 13/07/2019 at 10:22, rue_d_etropal said:

Pity there is not an index to old MRC, especially for the scale drawings.

Surprised there isn't anything on the GCR society website, as the lists they have are only of the plans they have themselves.

Speaking of which, is there an index to drawings in Railway Modeller...?

• Like 1

On 13 July 2019 at 10:22, rue_d_etropal said:

Pity there is not an index to old MRC, especially for the scale drawings.

Surprised there isn't anything on the GCR society website, as the lists they have are only of the plans they have themselves.

There is a useful index for model railway drawings and photos, up to 1972, in S A Leleux's An Index to Model Railway Drawings, although it has a couple of flaws, one is that it only identifies the page number and year, but not the month, and it doesn't always clearly identify whether there is a drawing or not.

For GCR coaches it cites Page 160  1960 for 60' and 56' stock and p 112 1969 for 50' clerestories, both MRC and the Modeller reference is p 339 1968.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 12/07/2019 at 20:00, rue_d_etropal said:

The Model Railway Constructor has drawings of the 50ft Great central Clerestory Coaches in issue  April 1969.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Bowden said:

thought I had missed one. That is the one I spotted. Bought a copy ,

• Like 1

After a spell doing designs for some Cavan and Leitrim Railway coaches, I thought I needed to get back to something simpler.

Following on from discussion about GCR pushpul trains it maded sense to start on the LNWR pushpull trains, as theyworked in same area in 50s. Igot a copy of Delph to Oldham, a excellent book, pityit does not have full plan drawings of the coaches. Made sense to start wit first drawing in book, type M11, and this will be followed up quickly by M12 as the M12 is virtually identical to centre car of Oerlikon EMU set. Main difficulty with M11 is the angled doors. With sketches in Jenson book, I have mde a stab at it, but if anyone has a detailed plan showing door position then I can check it and if necessary modify my design. Also not sure if there is panelling in the doorway.

LNWR-M11-pp-composite-saloon-coach-1a.jp

• Like 1

Added the M12 ,M15 and M17 push pull coaches.

LNWR-M12-pp-composite-saloon-coach-1a.jpthe similarity to Oerlikon stock is striking.

LNWR-M15-pp-composite-driving-saloon-coa

LNWR-M17-pp-composite-driving-saloon-coa

That's it for the moment. Will come back to the LNWR pushpull coaches, as there are a few others I want to do, and possibly the slightly modified versions of above post WW2.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
new picture
  • Like 1